Paint Pens- Do they work? - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Paint Pens- Do they work?

Hi all. Quick question for anyone who's purchased the paint pens from Kia: do they work? I ask because on Day 1 of my coming home from the dealer with my new baby, my fur babies (two large goldendoodles) got super excited to see me in the new car and jumped on the driver's door, leaving a couple of scratches. To be fair, the scratches are hardly noticeable, but they do bother me a bit. I was just wondering if I went to buy the paint pens from the dealer, woulld they work well in fixing the scratches? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:06 PM

Try compounding it out with something like M105 or scratch doctor first to see how much they clean up. If they didn't scratch through the clear-coat you'll be okay. Can you sink your nail into the scratch??

Paint pens make more of a mess than anything to be honest
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:09 PM
Jay

I wouldn't use a paint pen unless the scratches have gone through the paint layer to the primer. If your dogs damaged the clear coat layer (most likely), consider this approach:

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks so much!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:12 PM

That video is perfect Let us know how it goes when you tackle the job! Some photos would be great as well
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 03:34 PM

Garage
Less than two months after I got my Silky Silver Niro, on a lease, some A-holes keyed the back side panels of the car with two keys in each hand on BOTH sides. I was so pissed off.

I am still to this day working on sanding, repainting, and buffing the scratches, which went all the way down to the grey primer. I got them from Automotive Touchup. The bottles are liquid paint and not spray/pen, but the color matches. It's still been very tricky to get the finish right.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page