Mechanical question... Starter - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Mechanical question... Starter

I was wondering about the ICE starter in the Niro. It has to start dozens or even hundreds of times a day; from standstill and also at speed. Does the car use a regular 12 volt starter motor or does the synchronous motor do the job? Maybe both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 04:51 PM

Don't know what it uses, but I get your jest --- I hope it is durable start procedure.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 07:39 PM
Jay

The starter/generator starts the ICE via a belt. Neither Hyundai nor Kia have any white papers or animated videos showing the operation of their hybrid drive for the Ioniq/Niro unfortunately. The Sonata hybrid uses the same P2-style hybrid drive system (except that the Niro/Ioniq use a DCT), however, and there is a good animated video showing operation:

PAULRIDES and Blackdog like this.

Last edited by Jay; 06-14-2017 at 07:41 PM.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 09:16 PM

Thanks. Seems better than an old type starter.

IF I UNDERSTAND what I just saw. Wonder if one weak point is the belt that appears to drive the engine for a start.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:40 AM
Jay

The belt has to be inspected and replaced periodically. It's not that maintenance intensive IMO.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 01:15 PM

At most replacing a belt like this at the dealer should take about an hours worth of labor. Not that much of a cost to us. Given all the other great things Hyundai/Kia has to offer its what i'm personally willing to deal with. Can't say the same for General Motors
ac
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I had a look at the video and I looked
under the hood, and sure enough there's a generator there.
I still find it curious that there is need for a generator when the big Li ion battery is charged by the sync motor.
There is no lead-acid 12 volt battery used as far as i know. I've heard that they have taken a little slice of the big battery to do the 12 volt work. Also, I've listened to radio while the ignition is in 'acc' mode and a notice comes up almost immediately suggesting that I run the engine so not to discharge the battery.
I wonder what the watt-hour rating of the 12 volt slice is??

Just one more thing, the generator appears to be liquid cooled! There are a couple of hoses connected to the body of the generator (even shown in the video). That should be a very high output device if it needs liquid cooling.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 04:20 PM

If you look under the hood on the drivers side, there is a small 12 volt battery. I believe if the big battery should go down, this one is to start the car back up.
jpear likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 12:52 PM
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutch76 View Post
If you look under the hood on the drivers side, there is a small 12 volt battery. I believe if the big battery should go down, this one is to start the car back up.
North American versions of the Niro have no pb-acid 12-v battery. Instead, they use a lithium-polymer 12-v (that's covered by the traction battery warranty.). The 12-v lipo battery is located in the traction battery enclosure but separate from the traction battery.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that diagram! Perhaps we can draw an estimate from it....
Physically it looks to be about 1/5 the size overall. Specs say it's a 1.56kwh battery. One fifth of that would be 312kwh. If it is kept at 50 - 75% charge .... then around 152 to 234 kwh.
I wonder what a regular lead acid car battery has using kwh?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page