Tire chains for the Niro? - Kia Niro Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Question Tire chains for the Niro?

I have not yet purchased a Niro but probably will next year. My dream car would be the Niro with AWD. At this point in time, it does not exist so I am trying to think of a workaround that would improve handling in the event of unexpected snow. I have seen vendors on the web that offer easy on/easy off tire chains, that even a weak person like me could deal with. Has anyone tried this and how did it work out? Also, where did you purchase the tire chains? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscoulter View Post
I have not yet purchased a Niro but probably will next year. My dream car would be the Niro with AWD. At this point in time, it does not exist so I am trying to think of a workaround that would improve handling in the event of unexpected snow. I have seen vendors on the web that offer easy on/easy off tire chains, that even a weak person like me could deal with. Has anyone tried this and how did it work out? Also, where did you purchase the tire chains? Thank you!
I would just go with 4 snow tires. Depending on where you live and snowfall totals, you could opt to have the studs installed in the snow tires. I do NOT use studs in the snow tires. I'm in Upstate NY, just under the Canadian border, we have dry winters, (little snow) and sometimes we get hit with 2-3 feet, never had a problem with front wheel drive (never had AWD) and snow tires. NOT putting the studs in leave you the option to use the tires beyond any dates that your state/locale may mandate that snow tires be removed as that only applies to studded snow tires.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I've always used winter tires and it worked fine for me. Few years ago in US, I was forced to purchase and install tire chains right in the middle of the road by police, (because of extremely slippery road condition and high snow level) while driving from one state to another. I've been using them for a few hours and it felt so bizarre and uncontrollable..
mscoulter likes this.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddarrah View Post
I would just go with 4 snow tires. Depending on where you live and snowfall totals, you could opt to have the studs installed in the snow tires. I do NOT use studs in the snow tires. I'm in Upstate NY, just under the Canadian border, we have dry winters, (little snow) and sometimes we get hit with 2-3 feet, never had a problem with front wheel drive (never had AWD) and snow tires. NOT putting the studs in leave you the option to use the tires beyond any dates that your state/locale may mandate that snow tires be removed as that only applies to studded snow tires.
The problem with this is that I would have to keep the snow tires on almost all year to be guaranteed protection. I will be relocating to an area of Colorado where they often get surprise snow storms that can happen anytime from September through May. Also, I would find it a hassle to have to change tires twice a year, and then there's the problem of storing the tires. This is not a good option for me.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Run View Post
I've always used winter tires and it worked fine for me. Few years ago in US, I was forced to purchase and install tire chains right in the middle of the road by police, (because of extremely slippery road condition and high snow level) while driving from one state to another. I've been using them for a few hours and it felt so bizarre and uncontrollable..
The tire chains I am talking about are not the standard ones most people think of. These are easy on/easy off traction assistance devices. I would only need for the front tires and they would be for emergency use only in the event I was caught off guard with an unexpected snowfall. I am not yet allowed to post a link, but look up tire chain alternatives. One in particular is called AutoSock.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 10:20 AM

Didn't even know there were alternatives to tire chains and studs so I had to look up AutoSock. A bit iffy about those products with how they fared in tests.
For chains, maybe Thule is a good option?

I just get a set of winters.
lafe005 and Dovidan like this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
The tire chains I am talking about are not the standard ones most people think of. These are easy on/easy off traction assistance devices. I would only need for the front tires and they would be for emergency use only in the event I was caught off guard with an unexpected snowfall. I am not yet allowed to post a link, but look up tire chain alternatives. One in particular is called AutoSock.
Oohh...

Are you talking about this type of tire chains? I've never seen them before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winter-tire-socks-2015.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	2570  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Oohh...

Are you talking about this type of tire chains? I've never seen them before.
That is interesting.

I have used Cable Chains (not sure that is the right word) that are easy to put on and take off. You drape them over the wheel, there is an extended gap between the links on the end of the ground and you can reach behind the wheel to hook the ends together, and easy to hook together on the outside.

It was a front wheel drive, so turn the steering to make it easy to reach the inside of the wheel to hook that side up.

Best I can do to describe them is:

A cable runs around the circumference of the tire on both side of the tire. There are cross cables with rollers on them spaced about 6 inches apart that run between those side cables. The cross cables at the ground end (once you drape the whole assembly over the top of the tire) has a larger space between the cross cables to allow for the tire to be on the ground while you hook the ends together.

Does that make sense?

Work very good as easy on off -- I found out about them when living in WA State and going skiing in the mountains. They will not let you proceed up the mountains when weather is bad unless you have chains (road blocks check you). So, you can lay on the ground (bring a blanket or something to lay on) and install the Cable Chains when needed.

Plus, they work better when you run into pavement and have to drive a distance on pavement until you meet slick surface again.

Here in East TN slick conditions are infrequent and don't last long, but they also don't have ability to take care of all the back mountain roads or neighborhood roads. We are retired and can wait it out usually (but in an emergency I would put the Cable Chains on and be able to get out to a main road).

I have a pair for a 2005 Dodge Van and would use it in an emergency. However, I would consider buying some for the NIRO if could find the size for the wheels.
mscoulter likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Yes, this one in particular: Videos - AutoSock
Dovidan likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 01:57 PM

When I bought my Niro last September, my dealer made me sign a form that stated unequivocally that the use of tire chains would cause damage to the wheels and/or drive system and that this damage would not be covered by warranty.

Did anyone else have to sign this, or have any of you even heard this?

I have an upcoming cross country round trip to make, in March. Still on the original Michelin Green tires, as it never ever snows where I live. Not sure if I should get snow tires just for this trip.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page