Thinking of getting 2018 Niro EX - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Thinking of getting 2018 Niro EX

I'm considering getting a 2018 Niro EX. I've never owned a KIA before (currently driving older model Prius). If you have had a Niro for at least a month, would you recommend buying one? What has been your experience? I would greatly appreciate it if you would let me know if you would recommend or not recommend buying one and how long you have had your Niro. Thanks! Looking forward to hearing from any Niro owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 06:58 AM

I have had mine for about four months now. I love it. EX model with tech package and sunroof. Prior to that I owned a 2011 Kia Soul for five years (bought used) and loved that... never a problem. The Niro is such a better ride compared to the Soul, feels like a luxury car to me in comparison.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 10:21 AM

I have had my Niro for 5500 miles now and am really enjoying it. It is comfortable, intuitive, and simply pleasant to drive. Better yet, my kids love it, and happy kids on long trips makes for a happy dad driving the car.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 11:33 AM

Had two prius's prior 12 C and 14 Plug-in, Loved both, both bullet proof cars - other than tires and general maintenance they needed nothing.

October I got my Niro - at first I missed the Plug-in, as it did everything I wanted and got fantastic MPG. I even had solar panels installed so I could charge it free at home.

Likes: space,seating position, head unit (stereo)just love android auto and car play, 6 speed DCT, better heated seats, feels so much sportier.

Dislikes: MPG really takes a hit in the cold, when shifting to reverse it takes a second. Headlight / Fog lights are a joke all lights in a tech car like this should be LED, Red backlight on radio/HAV Controls.

Reason for not getting a Prius Prime - it's just looked Fugley to me.

Last edited by hackenfort; 12-19-2017 at 11:36 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 04:10 PM

I've had mine for 7 months and over 12k miles, a Touring with the tech package. I've had little things here and there but nothing that lingered more than a fleeting few minutes. This is my 2nd Kia as I passed my 2012 Optima to my daughter when she turned 18. It was great during the warm weather to get 46-47 MPG's but now I'm down around 40 or lower since it got cold. Still much better than the Optima but not what I expected.

With all this said, I'm very satisfied with the purchase and look forward to driving this until I can pass it down to my 10 year old son when he gets his license.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 09:12 PM

I've had mine for 4 days, about 200 miles. It's a '17 EX. My first hybrid, and I love it. Overall MPG to date is ~47, and we've had several days in the teens and 20s, so I'm pretty pleased. I got 54mpg on my 20+ mixed roads commute this morning. I like the non-CVT transmission, it's very well appointed, but I'm not wild about the seats and the speakers are tinny. But for a vehicle that gets about 20mpg more than my last car, I can deal. If you're interested, I'd look at the '17s. I'd imagine dealers are eager to move them. Good luck.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveloma View Post
I've had mine for 4 days, about 200 miles. It's a '17 EX. My first hybrid, and I love it. Overall MPG to date is ~47, and we've had several days in the teens and 20s, so I'm pretty pleased. I got 54mpg on my 20+ mixed roads commute this morning. I like the non-CVT transmission, it's very well appointed, but I'm not wild about the seats and the speakers are tinny. But for a vehicle that gets about 20mpg more than my last car, I can deal. If you're interested, I'd look at the '17s. I'd imagine dealers are eager to move them. Good luck.
Congrats on getting your Niro.
What have your driving habits been like so far to achieve that 54mpg number? How consistent were you in using the HVAC system?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 10:15 PM

Hi, Alex. I got a calculated 49mpg from the first tank, and I've been running the heat every time I've been in the car. I expect a little less from this tank, with temps in single digits and teens, but I'm pretty pleased so far.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 01:13 PM

I've had my 2018 EX (adv. tech package) for a little longer than a month. Have taken it on 2 road trips and we love it (Have about 3300 miles on it now). The first road trip was VA to St. Petes/St. Augustine for a week. On cruise control set at 75 MPH I got 46 MPG all the way down 95. I filled up in St. Petes before heading to St. Augustine for the rest of the week. That tank got me 59.7 MPG (and it was down to 1 bar when I filled it). It was so cool driving for 6 hours and not being able to squeeze in 19$ of gas!!!!!

The second trip was from VA to Tenn down 81 and the Blueridge Mountains. A tank down, tank there, and tank back all were just below 50 MPG.

Very happy with this car so far!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page