Check Hybrid System. Turn off Engine MESSAGE?!?!?!?! - Kia Niro Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Question Check Hybrid System. Turn off Engine MESSAGE?!?!?!?!

I've had my Niro for about 6 mo. now and love it... Just drove today all the way from Atlanta to Cincinnati and just commented to my husband what a champ it is. And then, after dinner, going to where we're staying, on comes the "Check Hybrid System. Turn off Engine" light, flashing, with an alarm (a sweet little chime, but an alarm nonetheless). What the...? I'm 500 miles from home....!?

I've tried googling for info about how serious this warning is. Basically it just says, "something is wrong with the hybrid system...could be anything... get it checked out." My main question...could it be related to the ridiculously cold temps outside? (it's 16 degrees here and dropping...high tomorrow is supposed to be 12 and low of 1.)

Any advice? I'm gonna call the Kia dealer in the morning, but wondering if anyone has experience with this. THanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 07:16 AM

It was - 16 here this week, most of the last two weeks have been single digits my Niro had no issues. Hope the dealer can sort it out for you
Daveloma likes this.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Welp...good news and bad news.

First of all mad props to King Kia in Cincinnati for "squeezing me in" today as a result of my sob story (stuck 500 miles from home and need to get back tomorrow). They were slammed due to the polar freeze creating lots of problems...but they tried, and DID, get to my car eventually.

Good news: they didn't find anything wrong.
Bad news: they didn't find anything wrong...... and said the sensors generally don't go off if there's nothing wrong. But they can't find anything wrong so they said "hopefully" I should be good to go.
SOOOOoo, we are planning to leave in the morning and try to get back to Atlanta. I'm PRAYING that we make it without issue. And then I'll take it back to my own dealer in ATL.

I'll keep y'all posted!
kia-val likes this.
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmura View Post

First of all mad props to King Kia in Cincinnati for "squeezing me in" today as a result of my sob story (stuck 500 miles from home and need to get back tomorrow). They were slammed due to the polar freeze creating lots of problems...but they tried, and DID, get to my car eventually.

Bad news: they didn't find anything wrong...... and said the sensors generally don't go off if there's nothing wrong. But they can't find anything wrong so they said "hopefully" I should be good to go.
SOOOOoo, we are planning to leave in the morning and try to get back to Atlanta. I'm PRAYING that we make it without issue. And then I'll take it back to my own dealer in ATL.

I'll keep y'all posted!

I've heard of this happening on Kia hybrids, Toyotas, Hyundais, and every time, after turning the car off and next start up, problem/error code went away. It likely sensed a glitch ONCE, and it was just a "glitch"............. 99.999% likely everything is fine now.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 12:31 AM

Hey! Not sure if they checked this at your dealership, but on www.reddit.com/r/kianiro someone had this issue as well and said it was a short with the electrical system. Once that was fixed the issue went away.

I am neither oven proof nor a corgi.
Creator & Mod for Reddit.com/r/KiaNiro
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 04:26 PM

That same kind of message showed up on my Ford Fusion Hybrid. It was a glitch also.

Were not alone...
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmura View Post

I'll keep y'all posted!
Got the same problem.
They don't find any problem.. that's they always say. I've been a lot on dealership with the same result.
I've bee escalated this issue to KIA USA, but unfortunately, im still waiting for them until now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0204.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	2754  
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 09:51 PM

Same problem. Vehicle got the alarm and would not start. Towed to dealer. Was told that I must have left a door open all night in the bitter cold and discharged the battery. I guess they charged it up and got the car back the next day. One day later, same problem. They had the car for a week. Supposedly a connector had bad pins and the cold caused the metal to contract so bad connection. They worked on the connector and sent me on my way. Another alarm. Vehicle will go back tomorrow. Getting ready to file for lemon law fix to the problem. My guess is electrical short or component failure caused by extreme weather.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 02:35 PM

Update on hybrid system alarm

Just got my Niro back after third attempt to correct the hybrid system alert message. They ended up replacing the battery control module. Will see what happens if the weather stays cold. I think somehow it is a cold weather related issue. Contacted the State of Md consumer protection division re. Lemon law. Did as they suggested and sent registered letter to kia in Irvine, ca describing the problem. They got back to me immediately and told me that they would be working with my local dealer to try to resolve the problem. Upper level Kia has been very impressive with constant updates to me as to what is going on. Will update again if this latest fix solves the problem.
extech67 and Audionics1 like this.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 10:18 PM

Nice response from Kia. I tried to call them a few days ago about a technical question local Kia service could not answer, and couldn't find an appropriate number or option to reach customer service. If I really need help if I'm so unfortunate to end up with a lemon, I'll contact them that way too. I actually looked up Ohio's lemon law before I purchased it. I'm hopeful that the 2018s have exorcised all the known bugs from the 2017 model year.

This won't make you feel any better to be the outlier, but Consumer Reports ranked the Niro as the most reliable car sold. I take that with a huge grain of salt as they rely on reports from their members. Seems to me in October 2017, they would have to have had a very small and thus unreliable sample size. Perhaps they should have leveraged that ranking off of the Hyundai Ioniq with the same powertrain. I certainly read about lots of issues with the Ioniq powertrain on the forums.
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...reliable-cars/
extech67 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page