2018 Niro PHEV - Kia Niro Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
srk

2018 Niro PHEV

I'm considering a Niro PHEV. Unfortunately my dealership doesn't have any on the lot. They did have plenty of the non PHEV Niros though. I took one for a drive and thought it was a nice ride. I didn't care for the toggle switches on the steering wheel. My main question is how does the HEV system compare on the PHEV? I noticed that it was really easy to get the motor to kick on in the HEV. Does that happen with the PHEV as well or does it take a lot more call for acceleration/load to make the engine turn on? I'm aware that there is no electric heater and the heater requires the engine to heat up. I was driving with the climate off. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:31 PM

The PHEV has a button to force EV mode.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
The PHEV has a button to force EV mode.
Can it fully force EV mode though? I keep reading that the Niro PHEV simply can't do full EV driving (like the Chevy Volt for example).
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 11:34 AM

If the battery is low, the engine will turn on. But you want that anyway to ensure battery life. It is also possible if you floor it, the engine will turn on. Same with a steep hill where you have exceeded available torque of the traction motor for your pedal position. If you have interior heating needs, the engine will also turn on. Otherwise, it is EV force. It should stay EV in most scenarios, like the moderate acceleration needed for merging with traffic.

The Volt has a far larger traction motor so it does't need (or is helped) by the engine. The Volt engine will also turn on when the battery is low but in many circumstances it is not driving the wheels directly but rather acting as a generator to charge the battery. I think the Volt has a resistance heater so warming the interior will not start the engine.

The Niro is dependent on normal engine heat for interior warming so that is part of the mpg hit in the winter. Summer is different as the AC is electrically driven. Not sure how the Volt AC works but it would be more sensible if it is also electrically driven. But of course Volt winter range will take an added hit with the resistance heating.
extech67 and charlesH like this.

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 07:11 AM

Garage
We picked up our Kia Plug-in Hybrid last week (Tampa Bay area purchase); dealer didn't fully charge the vehicle, so drove home to the Orlando area in hybrid mode. Gas gauge showed 51mpg; not too shabby for an SUV (I've driven rental Prius that didn't get anywhere near that.)

We have a solar electric system recently installed at the house, and I had an electrician put in both 110v and 220v outlets. I purchased a 220v portable charger from Amazon for about $250 (looks just like the 110v that comes with the vehicle). So now I can use solar power to fully charge the battery.

The gauge on the dash shows 26 miles in EV range when the battery is fully charged. I've taken a couple of 20 mile (each way) trips so far, and when you start out, the mode starts in EV. Other than a rapid acceleration to get on the expressway, the mode stayed in EV all the way to my destination; most of the trip at 72-3 mph on the expressway. Returning home, when the battery got to the low range and the gauge showed about 3 miles remaining range, the mode switched to hybrid and the engine came on for most of the remaining distance of the trip, but switched back and forth to EV when decelerating or very slow speeds in traffic.
extech67, Chis2k and kmull54 like this.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 09:14 AM

Power Outlet

I'm considering purchasing the 2018 Kia Niro PHEV and was curious if the 115V power outlet inside the vehicle has power to it when the vehicle is "OFF"? Basically when the vehicle is off will the plug still work?
I would also like to know if it is getting its power from the 12V battery or the lithium ion battery? The second question may need to be answered by a Kia tech.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 11:56 AM

From the owners manual:
The AC inverter supplies 220V/200W or 115V/150W electric power to operate electric accessories or equipment. If you wish to use the AC inverter, open up the AC inverter cover and connect a plug to it. The AC inverter supplies electric power when engine is running.
The 12 volt battery is also lithium to save weight. It is rather small but can be replenished if flat from the traction battery via a dashboard button. I had to do that already after a diagnostic Bluetooth device misbehaved overnight.

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 12:21 PM

Considering that the Niro plug in's electric range is about 26 miles, which with the regular Niro's mileage is maybe 0.7 gallons of gas or $ 2 at current prices, I don't see much advantage buying the plug in. The added cost of purchase and added weight, and added complexity just doesn't seem to be worth it.
I'm not here to pick an argument, please convince me why am I wrong?
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extech67 View Post
Considering that the Niro plug in's electric range is about 26 miles, which with the regular Niro's mileage is maybe 0.7 gallons of gas or $ 2 at current prices, I don't see much advantage buying the plug in. The added cost of purchase and added weight, and added complexity just doesn't seem to be worth it.
I'm not here to pick an argument, please convince me why am I wrong?
IF you have access to a charger and do a lot of short distance trips (for example your commute to work is 10 miles or less...) it would be totally worth it.
extech67 likes this.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2977 View Post
We picked up our Kia Plug-in Hybrid last week (Tampa Bay area purchase); dealer didn't fully charge the vehicle, so drove home to the Orlando area in hybrid mode. Gas gauge showed 51mpg; not too shabby for an SUV (I've driven rental Prius that didn't get anywhere near that.)

We have a solar electric system recently installed at the house, and I had an electrician put in both 110v and 220v outlets. I purchased a 220v portable charger from Amazon for about $250 (looks just like the 110v that comes with the vehicle). So now I can use solar power to fully charge the battery.

The gauge on the dash shows 26 miles in EV range when the battery is fully charged. I've taken a couple of 20 mile (each way) trips so far, and when you start out, the mode starts in EV. Other than a rapid acceleration to get on the expressway, the mode stayed in EV all the way to my destination; most of the trip at 72-3 mph on the expressway. Returning home, when the battery got to the low range and the gauge showed about 3 miles remaining range, the mode switched to hybrid and the engine came on for most of the remaining distance of the trip, but switched back and forth to EV when decelerating or very slow speeds in traffic.
Solar panels too! You're doing green right!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page