Plug in Hybrid Vs Hybrid - Kia Niro Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Plug in Hybrid Vs Hybrid

I was all set to get 2018 Nero Hybrid Touring until I started researching the Plug in version.

Just some random questions if I may

1) If I am using the hybrid engine while driving the plug in will it charge the battery as if its plugged in overnight to its 26 mile ready state?

2) Does the trim level get pretty close to touring on the regular hybrid? (I notice no 18 inch rims on plug in)

3) I am leasing which is smarter purchase and why ( hybrid vs plug in)

Thank you

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvjeff View Post
I was all set to get 2018 Nero Hybrid Touring until I started researching the Plug in version.
1) If I am using the hybrid engine while driving the plug in will it charge the battery as if its plugged in overnight to its 26 mile ready state?
No. That would defeat any benefit from plugging it to get cheaper, greener energy that using gas to charge the battery. When you have exhausted EV range, it will operate just as the smaller battery hybrid would.

If you don't plug in, all that happens is you are riding around in a hybrid that weighs 300 - 400 pounds more, thus getting lower mpg. Which is reflected in the lower EPA ratings.

A small benefit of the larger battery is more energy recovery if you go down very long hills.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
No. That would defeat any benefit from plugging it to get cheaper, greener energy that using gas to charge the battery. When you have exhausted EV range, it will operate just as the smaller battery hybrid would.

If you don't plug in, all that happens is you are riding around in a hybrid that weighs 300 - 400 pounds more, thus getting lower mpg. Which is reflected in the lower EPA ratings.

A small benefit of the larger battery is more energy recovery if you go down very long hills.

My KwH rate here on Long Island in NY is amongst the highest at around .25/KwH Hence I had thought that since I was driving anyway the battery would be charged anyway as I was driving.

Last edited by hdtvjeff; 03-27-2018 at 10:13 AM.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 10:52 AM

You can probably force charging by driving in Sport mode. But that will cost a lot of mpg. Even at double the national electric rate, it will still be a bit cheaper than the equivalent cost of the same miles in gasoline. But it sounds like the hybrid makes more sense from a practical perspective that doesn't consider tax credits. Especially if you do not take short trips that would benefit from the plug in power. Does LI only have a single pricing tier for electricity?

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You can probably force charging by driving in Sport mode. But that will cost a lot of mpg. Even at double the national electric rate, it will still be a bit cheaper than the equivalent cost of the same miles in gasoline. But it sounds like the hybrid makes more sense from a practical perspective that doesn't consider tax credits. Especially if you do not take short trips that would benefit from the plug in power. Does LI only have a single pricing tier for electricity?

Long Island has business and residential; I am looking into day vs night rates.

I am also looking into Solar panels for my house roof/ free charging?

If gasoline fell again to $1.50/gallon and I was still paying 25 cents per KwH would it still be cheaper to charge?

Lastly, which is better MPG wise for a hybrid/plugin 16 inch wheels or 18 inch wheels?

Thanks for your valuable input!!

Last edited by hdtvjeff; 03-27-2018 at 11:27 AM.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 06:06 PM

16" wheels are better for economy and comfort and noise and tire cost. 18" wheels are better for sports cars driven hard around corners.

Electric versus gas economy has a lot of variables. But look at this graph. I think you will see a big picture that electric will always cost less for the actual energy cost. Cost to acquire, cost to taxpayers, et cetera is a different story.
https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/fi...fsev/costs.pdf

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
16" wheels are better for economy and comfort and noise and tire cost. 18" wheels are better for sports cars driven hard around corners.

Electric versus gas economy has a lot of variables. But look at this graph. I think you will see a big picture that electric will always cost less for the actual energy cost. Cost to acquire, cost to taxpayers, et cetera is a different story.
https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/fi...fsev/costs.pdf
Silly question but does 2 inch less on tire size mean ground clearance is 2 inches less?

Now let me go to dealer and hope I can get a 2018 niro plug in that I can build up to Niro Hybrid Touring

Thank you so much !!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 10:09 PM

Please google "NYSERDA's electric vehicle calculator". You can find simulator to estimate electric cost including LI.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvjeff View Post
Silly question but does 2 inch less on tire size mean ground clearance is 2 inches less?
16" rim size. Tires have the same diameter because they have a different profile. 16 wheels have tires with higher sidewalls. That contributes to the increased comfort and reduced noise levels, and typically higher sidewalls have greater flexibility decreasing rolling resistance (increasing mpg). Look at pictures of the different wheel sizes on low trims and high trims of the hybrid on kia.com and look also at the mpg specifications. Increasing wheel size and weight reduces both city and highway EPA ratings.
extech67 and hdtvjeff like this.

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
16" rim size. Tires have the same diameter because they have a different profile. 16 wheels have tires with higher sidewalls. That contributes to the increased comfort and reduced noise levels, and typically higher sidewalls have greater flexibility decreasing rolling resistance (increasing mpg). Look at pictures of the different wheel sizes on low trims and high trims of the hybrid on kia.com and look also at the mpg specifications. Increasing wheel size and weight reduces both city and highway EPA ratings.

Thank you very much for educating me on this matter.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page