battery saver? - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

battery saver?

A couple of times now I get a message when I get back in my Niro PHEV and turn on, that "battery saver was used when I was in park". How can I be using battery saver when car is off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:33 PM

I'd do a service check. Your 12 V battery is discharging and being recharged from the traction battery. You have excessive 12 V drain.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 09:39 AM

I've had my phev ex since early May, and I've seen this message twice over the past 3 months. Do any other phev owners see this message? Trying to figure out if it really means there's a problem with the 12v battery or if the battery saver system is being overly aggressive or is just plain buggy
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 12:13 PM

Quite a few see it. I think it is normal, but there is something odd about how they designed the system to charge the 12 V battery. Looks to me that rather a constant charge (15 V more or less in regular cars) to the battery, there is nothing until a trigger low voltage threshold is reached and then the traction battery recharges the 12 V battery. You only see the message about a recharge if it happens while the car is off, not while driving.

Not sure how my HEV handles charging the 12 V battery either, but clearly it is different. Lithium 12 V battery as well so the chemistry is different than your lead acid 12 V battery.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 08:36 PM

Garage
Aux Battery Saver + is a feature that reduces power consumption from plugged in accessories while the vehicle is turned off to prevent discharge of the 12V battery and Extended EV battery that in the right rear of the cargo area. You can access the control for this in your settings menu under "Other Features".
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 10:17 PM

If the PHEV is wired similarly to the HEV, plugged in accessories cannot run at all with the car turned off - the outlets either time out, or quit when you open the car door after turning the car off.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:59 PM

I've been seeing this frequently. I have a PHEV and I go for days or weeks without running the ICE, often driving in full electric mode for just a few miles a day, but maybe running the headlights in addition to other stuff that requires juice from the 12V battery. Perhaps this is normal for someone who uses the car the way I do. But I recently saw it just two days after I drove 100 miles (and obviously used the ICE on that trip, which should have provided a good opportunity to recharge the 12V battery). On that particular occasion, my electric range seemed to have dropped by several miles overnight while the car was off, although I can't swear to it because I wasn't paying close attention to what the gauge said the day before. I'm wondering how big the drain is on the 12V battery is when the car is off and if there's anything I can do to influence that? I've already disabled the feature that leaves the headlights on for a few minutes after I turn the car off: it wasn't really helpful in my situation.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 07:35 AM

All modern cars have 12v drain. Have to keep the computer systems on, can't even unlock doors without them. Pretty minimal, usually only an issue after a week or so (both HEV and PHEV have very small capacity batteries). The PHEV battery is recharged automatically when low from the traction battery. 12 v battery is being charged while car is on, or when the PHEV is being charged, even if not moving.
Dakota Niro PHEV likes this.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 12:54 AM

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought too, but I see this message every two or three days, and that seems a little excessive. How often do other PHEV owners see it I wonder?

Every year or so, something comes up that requires me to hop on a plane and head out of town for some period of time. Sometimes it's two weeks, sometimes it's twelve. I'm left wondering how long I can leave my PHEV parked before the 12V battery will be flat when I return.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 02:40 AM

I drive my PHEV on electric most all the time except for a bi-monthly trip out of town. The auxiliary battery charge notification appears about every three or four days. When it does appear I have never noticed any drop in the remaining distance reading for the main battery. It always reads the same as it did when I turned off the car the night before. But just as a precaution, if I ever have to leave my PHEV at an airport parking lot for a week or two, I plan on fully charging the battery before my trip and only use the ICE on the drive to the airport. I still haven't been able to learn enough about the PHEV to have the confidence not to do that.

2018 Niro EX PHEV- Aurora Black Pearl/Charcoal

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page