Anyway to lock door and leave Nior running? - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Anyway to lock door and leave Nior running?

When I have my dog with me I will leave any car I am in running with the air on. Tried that this weekend with the Niro and it will not lock when running. Where I live that will work, never lock the car anyway so I am not worried about it running with it unlocked even when at Walmart. But this weekend I was in the city so the girlfriend had to wait in the car with it running. It is a big problem for me. Any way around this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 12:09 AM

I've been wondering this myself and have tried every possible combination with no luck. We have the 2017 Niro EX and it has the push button lock/unlock on the door handles, tried keeping that pushed in while closing, no go,,,,,,,, tried the manual key lock and key, nope.......... haven't searched the manual yet though................
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Can't find anything in the manual to help.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 06:38 PM

Garage
You can do it by way of leaving the electronic part of the key in the car and locking the doors using the metal inside part of the key (inserting it into the handle), taking it with you to unlock the door later. Not ideal as someone looking to steal the car could just break a window and take the vehicle, pet and all. Maybe someone else has a better method?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 06:53 AM

They wouldn't need to break a window, just push the unlock button on the handle. So good there!
extech67 likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 08:05 AM

Other Fob?

I am curious about this too. Are you saying that if the metal part of the key is inside, then you can lock it, but it can be unlocked by just pushing the button on the outside?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeNiro View Post
You can do it by way of leaving the electronic part of the key in the car and locking the doors using the metal inside part of the key (inserting it into the handle), taking it with you to unlock the door later. Not ideal as someone looking to steal the car could just break a window and take the vehicle, pet and all. Maybe someone else has a better method?
Tried that, it doesn't work.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 08:43 PM

Yup. But I was wrong. I just tried to confirm this and CoffeeNiro is right. The routine is that you have to be inside the car with the key fob and lock all the doors with the fob or the door button. Then exit via the driver's door (leaving the fob inside), and only the driver's door will be unlocked. You can now lock it with the physical key, and the door buttons will not work. Cool!

Mind you, I didn't try this yet with the car running, but it should work. Hopefully, this solves badyellowvette's problem with potential dognapping! Must have a small dog or a congenial labrador.

First time in 6 months of ownership I've tried the physical key. Took a while as I had two similar keys in my hand I tried first. Glad to know it works.
FlNiro likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Yup. But I was wrong. I just tried to confirm this and CoffeeNiro is right. The routine is that you have to be inside the car with the key fob and lock all the doors with the fob or the door button. Then exit via the driver's door (leaving the fob inside), and only the driver's door will be unlocked. You can now lock it with the physical key, and the door buttons will not work. Cool!

Mind you, I didn't try this yet with the car running, but it should work. Hopefully, this solves badyellowvette's problem with potential dognapping! Must have a small dog or a congenial labrador.

First time in 6 months of ownership I've tried the physical key. Took a while as I had two similar keys in my hand I tried first. Glad to know it works.
This is really good info to know since I would like to keep my dog in the car with the A/C running when I go into a store ect. Man I wonder if I could have done this with my Prius all these years LOL.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:45 PM

On mine, PHEV Premium, I can start the car with the smartphone app and adjust the temperature. The doors must already be locked. However, I think the car turns itself off after 10 minutes. Obviously not good if you are gone longer.
Too bad there is not a way to use the mechanical key to start the car and then use rrmote/proximity key to lock it.
Cookie

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page