Dealer installed remote start? - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Dealer installed remote start?

I recently purchased a 2018 Niro Hybrid. We ordered from one dealer and they got the car from another dealership and delivered it last night.

I was surprised today to find an actual spare tire in the cargo area. I also saw a pinstripe that I was not aware we were getting. I didn't pay for either (or was not charged extra)

There was an add on dealer options sticker that had $2995 worth of extra "junk" The one interesting thing was "Remote Start"

I suppose I could ask my salesman about it. I looked online and found a video in another language showing how you push the remote lock 3 times and the engine starts. I tried that and it didn't work.

Any advice on trying to figure out if I have it and/or how to use it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7015.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	4035  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:27 PM

My 2017 had a spare tire and pinstripe. Dealer add $250 for that tire, I told them to take it out and I peeled that pinstripe off when I got it home.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badyellowvette View Post
My 2017 had a spare tire and pinstripe. Dealer add $250 for that tire, I told them to take it out and I peeled that pinstripe off when I got it home.
You can just peel it off? I might be afraid to try. I thought it was actual paint.

I just called another dealer and asked about remote start options.
They said they have an aftermarket and a kia remote start.

The Kia remote start uses a separate key fob and you have to push the brake and start button when you enter the car to keep it running. That is $899

The aftermarket system uses the reg key fob and you press the lock 3 times. When you get to the car and unlock it, the engine will turn off and you have to restart it like normal. That is $499
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:16 PM

The dealer printed that add on sheet, it is possible it wasn't installed. Did your dealer charge you for it?

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
The dealer printed that add on sheet, it is possible it wasn't installed. Did your dealer charge you for it?
No, they didn't charge for it. They also didn't charge me for the pinstripe or the real spare tire, but both of those things were actually on the car. who knows if they did the "fabric treatment" crap or not. all that stuff just seems like fluff.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Zaloudek View Post
You can just peel it off? I might be afraid to try. I thought it was actual paint.

The Kia remote start uses a separate key fob and you have to push the brake and start button when you enter the car to keep it running. That is $899

The aftermarket system uses the reg key fob and you press the lock 3 times. When you get to the car and unlock it, the engine will turn off and you have to restart it like normal. That is $499
Can you give specifics on the remote start such as which remote start and what dealer? I have been looking for one since I bought the 2018 EX Platinum Graphite in February. The dealers I contacted say it will mess with electronics and not a good idea. So I am waiting for a KIA OEM system to come out. I believe I will be waiting for some time. You would think a KIA engineer could figure this out...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Zaloudek View Post

Did you ever get that $499 remote start installed? If so, what manufacturer/model and how is it working out for you?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 10:21 PM

We had an Arctic Start remote start added as a dealer option when we bought our 18. Seems like it was under $300 installed, and works very well so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181123_221129_1543029552005.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	4243  

2018 Metal Stream Touring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page