Do you see many Niros around? - Kia Niro Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Do you see many Niros around?

Hi all, I've had my '18 EX hybrid for a little over three months now, since the first week of May. From the couple of months prior to purchase, when I'd settled on it as my next vehicle, until now I have yet to see another Niro on the road here in the Houston, TX area (I live in the area SE of town, about halfway between downtowns Houston & Galveston). I've seen them only at a Kia dealer.

The car I had before the Niro was an '09 Volvo XC60. Its first year in the US was 2008, so it was a similar situation to now, where I'm in a model in only its second year in this country. At first I rarely saw those too, but it didn't take long at all before they became a not-uncommon sighting. But nothing so far on another Niro. What about you?

2018 EX w/Adv Tech, Metal Stream
Alexandria, VA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
This space intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 04:09 PM

Exclamation

My wife and I have only seen 1 other Niro each in the 6 months and 8,000 miles I've owned this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cary, NI2Q - Amateur Extra Class
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 10:09 PM

I've seen twice as many Niros as Ioniqs, in proportion to their relative sales in the US. Both fairly rare. Now that someone a couple blocks from me has bought an Ioniq, I'll be seeing that a lot. I'm the only Niro owner in my small town of 4,000, but I see them in the closest nearby city.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 10:38 PM

I see them fairly often in my area (maybe two or three a week which is not bad considering it's a fairly new car out there).
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 10:54 PM

I've seen a couple in the 2+ months I've had mine. Sometimes I do a double-take when I see a Sportage but after a moment I spot the differences.
DBJM and caryni2q like this.

2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium - Aurora Black
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 07:55 AM

Garage
I had to go out of state to get my 2018 Niro PHEV. There are not too many around - and that's why I'm able to get a state rebate on the EV battery and an IRS tax credit of ~$4500.

SM1
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddlingNiro View Post
I've seen a couple in the 2+ months I've had mine. Sometimes I do a double-take when I see a Sportage but after a moment I spot the differences.
I wonder if that's the reason people don't think they see many Niro's? The Niro does look like a lot of other SUV's at first glance, and when your driving you only get a quick look sometimes. Conversely when you see a Prius there's no mistaking that it's a Prius.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 07:45 PM

Garage
I've only seen 2 since we bought our PHEV in April. Not surprising, Southern Maryland is not exactly hybrid country. Big diesel pickups? Yeah.
They see me rollin' (past the gas station). They hatin'.
DBJM and FiddlingNiro like this.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:18 PM

I have one of each (Niro PHEV and a 2500 diesel pickup) and love both.

Different purposes, but each does its job well.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Here in Texas, hybrids are not super popular either-- definitely truck country. Re: the Sportage, agreed that they're similar but there are a couple of features one can quickly spot to tell them apart, such as the running-light grilles on the nose of the Sportage and those matte-black accent panels on the doors. I look for the latter as my telltale for a Niro.

2018 EX w/Adv Tech, Metal Stream
Alexandria, VA

This space intentionally left blank.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page