Ex premium PHEV WiFi hotspot? - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Ex premium PHEV WiFi hotspot?

The feature to connect to a WiFi hot spot doesn't appear in the manual and the WiFi icon is not on the screen. I assume it doesn't come with my car.
Could it be a hidden feature?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 10:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by picstart View Post
The feature to connect to a WiFi hot spot doesn't appear in the manual and the WiFi icon is not on the screen. I assume it doesn't come with my car.
Could it be a hidden feature?
Pretty sure the PHEV doesn't have WiFi at all. I have an EX Premium as well and mine doesn't have it.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 12:04 PM

What's more odd is that it seems Kia offers WiFi on the Optima PHEV? Maybe its just something that they decided wasn't necessary for the first generation model.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

I suspect they aren't supporting WiFi but instead the Niro EX premium PHEV has an internal SIM card and it connects that way.

KIA has a web page that gives access to the car for things like setting the Temperature , locking the door etc. The KIA web page sends/receives a message to/from the nearest cell tower that the car is in contact with. In this way it parallels the process a cell phone would use when running the UVO app. I did manage to control my car from the web page. I am reluctant to install the UVO app on a cell phone since any app could gain access to all the contacts or they could get transferred to the cars memory I'm not ready to sacrifice this much privacy just to be able to find the car if lost etc. Mostly checking on the charge level on a home PC is good enough. Only in a large parking area does the issue of forgetting where the car was parked come up. I'll wait a year to see if the UVO cell phone app gets hacked and if not I might risk it. They are reports that with the car play apps cars can be shut down on the highway by hackers.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page