Kia Niro 3 Gdi (2018) PHEV - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By picstart

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Question Kia Niro 3 Gdi (2018) PHEV

Took delivery of vehicle yesterday. All seemed OK, went through manual and connected the Trickle Charger, all lights correct on charging unit and started to charge, however will not charge for more than 20 seconds! Today have taken to an external charging point at local railway station using a phone app, all connected and seemed like it was charging using Kia cable and car went from 7% to 11% reasonably quickly, then switch car on to see what the charge was after a little longer and the percentage of battery was 10%, the unit was stating it was charging! stayed connect for 1hr and 15 mins and remained at 10%! Called my local Kia and they were very unhelpful and could not give me any advice! Can anyone advise, is it something simple I am missing??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradlottie View Post
Took delivery of vehicle yesterday. All seemed OK, went through manual and connected the Trickle Charger, all lights correct on charging unit and started to charge, however will not charge for more than 20 seconds! Today have taken to an external charging point at local railway station using a phone app, all connected and seemed like it was charging using Kia cable and car went from 7% to 11% reasonably quickly, then switch car on to see what the charge was after a little longer and the percentage of battery was 10%, the unit was stating it was charging! stayed connect for 1hr and 15 mins and remained at 10%! Called my local Kia and they were very unhelpful and could not give me any advice! Can anyone advise, is it something simple I am missing??
fwiw , I have never been below 10%.

Sounds like it is having problems taking the first charge. I'd ask the dealer to change it.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 05:48 PM

The car checks your electric source. It may be turning off because it cannot supply the requested amperage. You are in the UK with 220 volts? You really should have an outlet with a dedicated circuit and its own circuit breaker.

In your settings, you can choose the charge rate. See if it works on the lowest setting. But still have an electrician check it out and see if you are safe even then. Fire safety concerns are real.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:22 PM

Have you used anything besides the Kia-provided cable? It sounds like you were using the same cable even at the railway station. I spent several days with my PHEV trying to figure out why my charging was so inconsistent until I had the dealer swap out the cable. It worked perfectly with a new cable.

2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium - Aurora Black
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 08:32 AM

J1772

The J1772 standard for plugins involves a handshake with the car. The plug has the power connectors as well as a control line aka pilot line. The external unit senses when it is plugged in since the car will drop the voltage to 9v from 12v on the pilot wire. The external unit will then pulse width modulate the pilot at a frequency of 1000 hz the width of the pulse indicates to the car the amperage the external power can supply at either 120v or 240v. The car can handle either one. Once the voltage and the amperage are decided the car begins to charge. When charged or when needing to pause the charging the car alters the pilot voltage and the external power goes to stand by. Since the handshake on the pilot is via current loop it needs a good contact. A poor contact will reduce the signal and cause the car to reject the connection. An issue with the battery ( heat or unbalanced cells) will also reject a charge.
safari likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:02 AM

Test a public EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment), any L2 or 220v EVSE will push the max 3300watt (3.3KW) into the car and within 20 mins you should be over that threshold to make the L1 supplied EVSE work. If this doesn't work, id go back to the dealer.

also, look at the back of the KIA L1 Supplied EVSE, there is a little black button to the bottom, this changes the amperage level, youll notice the small lights change on the bottom of the front screen to show Low/Med/Hi amperage. test it out on the lowest or highest level to see if that helps.

2018 KIA Niro LX Plug-IN - Aurora Black Pearl

2018 KIA Sedona LX - Snow White Pearl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page