Scary Brake Issue Today!!! - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Scary Brake Issue Today!!!

Today while exiting the free way. I went to slow on a down hill off ramp and the brake went to the floor and did not stop. I hit 2 incredible nice older women with my 6 year old in the car. I have joined this forum to see if anyone else has had is issue or knowledge some one. I am terrified and I am not sure what I should do from here. I love my car until this moment today. Would live some feed back for help, direction. Anything thank u!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Moorehead View Post
Today while exiting the free way. I went to slow on a down hill off ramp and the brake went to the floor and did not stop. I hit 2 incredible nice older women with my 6 year old in the car. I have joined this forum to see if anyone else has had is issue or knowledge some one. I am terrified and I am not sure what I should do from here. I love my car until this moment today. Would live some feed back for help, direction. Anything thank u!
May I ask your VIN #, model , build date, and dealer name/location. I have a theory.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 09:24 AM

That can happen to any vehicle. Scary. I had that happen in a loaded rental truck once coming off an interstate ramp into rush hour city traffic. Managed not to kill anyone by crashing into a house.

(I also survived)

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:01 PM

Not the same issue, but I once had the brake pedal feel incredibly stiff and "hard", I could barely make the brake pedal move towards the floor at all and the braking was almost non existent. Luckily, I was slowing early for a light to save fuel and still had room to stop. Has only happened that one time.

Interested to know what you are asking for the VIN for. Do you know something everyone else doesn't? Care to share?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmluss View Post
Not the same issue, but I once had the brake pedal feel incredibly stiff and "hard", I could barely make the brake pedal move towards the floor at all and the braking was almost non existent. Luckily, I was slowing early for a light to save fuel and still had room to stop. Has only happened that one time.
For some reason, your power assist failed briefly. Brakes were fully functional though if you could push hard enough. Underlying failsafe.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Moorehead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
For some reason, your power assist failed briefly. Brakes were fully functional though if you could push hard enough. Underlying failsafe.
Pretty hard to reconcile these two comments unless both hydraulic fluid lines ruptured at the same moment. Hydraulic brakes still have two independent diagonal lines don't they.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 03:29 PM

No need to reconcile two different experiences with non-identical symptoms in two different cars with two different drivers.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
No need to reconcile two different experiences with non-identical symptoms in two different cars with two different drivers.
Does the Niro have the underlying mechanical failsafe you describe or not? You implied it does and I agree. Thus the claimed accident seems implausible.

I'd like to hear more details from the original poster and what was found to be the cause of the claimed accident.

I question the veracity of the original post.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page