Reverse light bulb change - Kia Niro Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Reverse light bulb change

Anyone done this or can give tips on how to access reverse bulbs in the fender? No visible screws or access points. Very mysterious.

I have some much brighter LED lamps in hand to fix the otherwise useless backup camera at night.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

An update. Visited a dealer today for tips about replacing the backup lights. Under the bumper on each side is a removable plastic cover held on with four or five push pins (different number on each side). Once that is off, the light is easily accessible once you figure out how to unplug it. The difference is dramatic. Even in bright sunlight you can see the difference in the attached photo. Right is the dim yellow OEM bulb, left is the LED. At night you can actually see without the brake lights on. In fact, the brake lights are now distracting, lending a reddish halo to the backup lights without adding any visibility.

As best I can tell from reviews, add on LED lights like these have suspect reliability. But if they last a couple of years even, mostly used for very brief seconds, I'll be happy. I've linked the ones I bought, there are others that may throw an Canbus error message on the dash (but otherwise will work OK).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HRI948Q/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3748.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	4091  

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 04:59 PM

Garage
Well, I just ordered a set, I will let you a know how I like 'em!

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Unless they don't work at all, they will be far better than OEM. It was the least safe part of my car. Nice to have a backup camera, but the light sensitivity and resolution is really poor. I actually bumped the bottom of my car twice, once on a rock, and once falling into a ditch I couldn't see parking in the boonies to sleep overnight in the car. I think the screen resolution is fine, it is the camera they saved 50 cents on.

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 04:53 PM

I would recommend this type of LED backup bulb if you are going to do the backup light upgrade.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-54SMD-LE...cAAOSw7XNbSQ4I

It has a 360 degree light output which helps out more than the one mentioned above by ytcolev. The one he mentions is a good and bright bulb, but when it is installed in the Niro, the LEDs do not shine directly outward at all. They shine to the left and right inside the housing.
Dovidan likes this.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:31 PM

white17lx

I have just put new LED bulbs in the back up lights and the difference is quite remarkable, the camera will give acceptable picture in total darkness.

While changing the lights, I removed the cover on the left side I have found about two cups of sand and small stones inside. There are two (apparently too small) openings in the cover bottom to allow the sand to fall out, but the "stuff" remained inside, many of the stones were too big to pass though the bottom holes. How did it get there? No rocks were behind the smaller cover on the right side. The vehicle travelled about 100 miles on gravel roads and many miles in construction zones.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 11:26 PM

Now if you can figure out how to make the camera useful when it's raining. Where the camera is mounted offers zero protection from water getting on the lense, thereby making it useless.
Sstr Maria likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cary, NI2Q - Amateur Extra Class
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryni2q View Post
Now if you can figure out how to make the camera useful when it's raining. Where the camera is mounted offers zero protection from water getting on the lense, thereby making it useless.

Duck tape, an electric hair drier and one of those 110v ac inverter should do the trick. Just angle the drier upwards to blow a warm breeze of air to keep the camera dry. Just a thought
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:04 AM

Garage
TKS for the back up light LED upgrade & Amazon link. This is what I look for in a Forum. Useful information. I have added a high quality tire inflator to my Niro. Craftsman 12 volt model # 75120. I fits in the left side deep "trunk" pocket. Dave
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:15 AM

Garage
TKS for LED back up light description. I plan on upgrading mine to LED. Your input is why this Forum works.
Dovidan likes this.