Did anyone extended their Bumper to Bumper warranty from 5000 miles/5 years? - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Did anyone extended their Bumper to Bumper warranty from 5000 miles/5 years?

Hello! I am still looking to either keep or cancel the Wrap Warranty I have already paid for. I was hoping someone here can give me what they ended up paying? I know that Kia provides their own warranty, but I ended up buying something to extend the 3-year/3k miles electronics or dash and 5-year/5k Bumper to Bumper to full 10-year/10k miles.

I average about 12,000 miles annually so I will probably hit 8 years with this warranty.

So far, these are the numbers I am comparing.

Superior Wrap Warranty (not accredited with Better Business Bureau) to extended it all to 10 years/10k - $1767
Carchex (A standing with Better Business Bureau) Bumper to Bumper for 7 years - $1350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 09:15 AM

Yes I paid 2600 for extended “wrap” coverage. I was told it is good in case expensive electronic components fail
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 09:18 AM

The dealer will refund the portion of the 2600 not claimed at the end of the warranty period. Seems kind of weird. Also I don’t know how common electrical problems are. I believe it would be covered already by basic warranty from Kia for 5 years. I’m leaning towards cancelling
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 09:54 AM

Yep, most of them are a third-party gouge. And I imagine if you had a claim you'll have to jump through hoops and fine print to collect. Head unit/audio is only 3yr./36k, but that puts it where most car mfgrs. are for the total car. When you buy the insurance new at dealer, it's overlapping the Kia warranty, so youre paying upfront for nothing. If you really want extra insurance, why not get it when the Kia warranty is expiring?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

My wife and I both got the 10y wrap bumper to bumper warranty. Worked the thought that we are owners who generally will keep a car until it fails. My wife had a 2006 Kia Sportage, so it got 12 years of life out of it, so I don't have any doubt that the Niro wouldn't have the ability to last that long. Her Sportage ran fine but had developed an airbag sensor fault that we were quoted was into the thousands to get fully diagnosed and fixed. She just drove it not knowing if airbags would work until the A/C and muffler failed and as the car is effectively worthless we decided on moving up to a better car with fuel efficiancy considering the cost of gas keeps going up.

Looking at the Niro, this is a car with far more electronics that can and eventually will go wrong. My father has driven Toyota Prius for many years and from his experiance, the systems start to get issues around the 7-8 year mark. Talking to a friend who is an actuary says that the insurance bases that the 10 year warrany is covered mostly by it's more likely that the owner will sell the car before the 10 years or the car will get into an auto accident before they start paying out money. I feel that I am not into either one of those two groups so it made sense to wrap the warranty to keep the car running for that extra 4+ years from when it's likely to start having problems to when the warranty stops and the cost of fixing exceeds the value of the vehicle.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 09:17 PM

I went with a third party warranty for my bumper to bumper for 8 years and unlimited miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	855DECE2-5C55-4235-9BA7-A8C87CA149AC_1539652645703.png
Views:	142
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	4127  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:05 AM

I extended the electrical coverage to match the drive train 10 year warranty.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Helmandollar View Post
I went with a third party warranty for my bumper to bumper for 8 years and unlimited miles.
Your attached image stubbornly won't load for me on two different days.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Quote:
Wouldn’t load for me either 🤔
Anyway it was a price for my 8 year unlimited mileage bumper to bumper extended warranty. I do close to 20,000 miles per year so the unlimited mileage was perfect. Company has been around for 39 years A+ rating with the BBB
Can take to any dealership or certified mechanic.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Quote:
Wouldn’t load for me either 🤔
Anyway it was a price for my 8 year unlimited mileage bumper to bumper extended warranty. I do close to 20,000 miles per year so the unlimited mileage was perfect. Company has been around for 39 years A+ rating with the BBB
Can take to any dealership or certified mechanic.
Can you share the third party info for extending electrical coverage ? thanks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page