Onboard GPS - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PostOfficer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Onboard GPS

Does anyone know a way to update the map? Or to pick roads to delete from the ability to navigate down them?

I've found by my house there is a dirt road, 5 feet wide that it tries to navigate me down. This would be a GREAT way to go (shaves off 19 minutes) IF it wasn't gated 4 miles down the road and required you to back up a quarter of a mile by backup camera. Believe me, 4:30 in the morning on a Monday headed to work in Arkansas is not how you want to find this out. ..... I was sure that I was going to here banjos startup.
TK6 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostOfficer View Post
Does anyone know a way to update the map? Or to pick roads to delete from the ability to navigate down them?

I've found by my house there is a dirt road, 5 feet wide that it tries to navigate me down. This would be a GREAT way to go (shaves off 19 minutes) IF it wasn't gated 4 miles down the road and required you to back up a quarter of a mile by backup camera. Believe me, 4:30 in the morning on a Monday headed to work in Arkansas is not how you want to find this out. ..... I was sure that I was going to here banjos startup.
Definitely not if you are using the factory NAV. That (at least on my '18 PHEV) comes on an SDCard and is not editable at least not by any method I'm aware of. If you are using Waze they have a map editing feature (web only, not using the app). I did that for my neighborhood as Waze thought some of my neighbor's driveways were roads. Google Maps? No idea, short of emailing Google. Good luck with that.

Presumably you won't make that mistake again so you can just ignore it. Other people? Sucks to be them.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 09:20 PM

Google Maps does have a reporting function. Not sure how the report gets integrated into results though. I've changed the address of a club twice (we moved) and it still doesn't show in the results a month later.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 08:14 AM

In the 2010 US census maps were updated ( un-mapped roads were added) and addresses map pointed. The census taker would walk the middle of an un-mapped road taking map points every twenty paces front entrances to the road were map pointed. GPS before that computed the address based on block size map points. I you lived on a large block with unevenly sized lots the GPS map would rarely get you directly to your front door. The dirt road since it leads to a residence may have made it to the data base. The Niro card is updated over the air via Niro's UVO network. How often who knows?\
Kia customer might accept your challenge to the map data and issue an update.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:54 AM

Garage
Just use your phone and Android Auto / Apple carplay whichever fits.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Google Maps does not use that road I just don't like plugging my phone in through a USB it would be nice if it was a Bluetooth type setup but it's not just one little thing I don't like about the car....

Yes I have not drove down that road again, however if my wife goes to use it to try and get her home she may end up down that road, since she doesn't know the area very well I will just get her phone set up with Google Auto
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostOfficer View Post
Does anyone know a way to update the map?
You can update the map SD card through Kia. But it will cost you.

https://www.kia-gpsmap.us/map-update...ap-update.html

I prefer the look and feel of the maps through Apple CarPlay so I haven't bothered with Kia's.

2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium - Aurora Black
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:31 PM
TK6

I prefer to use the built in Nav, instead of having to mess with phone cables. And I like the home screen that shows a small map and other media on the same page. Also, if my wife's phone is plugged in to use Apple Car Play, I can't connect my Andriod phone to stream music via Bluetooth. (Or I'm not smart enough to figure out how).
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 11:24 AM

All of our GPSs show lots of non-existent roads in Texas. Apparently Texas is very generous in allowing people to close existing roads and none of the GPS programs seem to know about it. Numerous friends of mine have to tell people not to use GPS and then explain to people how to get to their house or, if they are lucky, tell visitors that the GPS DOES work to their house... Older GPSs are not correct for our house either, but it got people close enough for them to be able to home in on us.

I like the built-in GPS a lot -- after not using 3 previous cars' GPS but using a good standalone GPS (NOT a phone!). I like that it displays the speed limit and the display is nice and bright and easy to read. I like the ease of getting to display to display and the split screen mode.

But there are issues with it. Being built-in, we cannot enter a location while the car is moving. Why don't they detect weight on the passenger seat (which they do anyway) and let the GPS be changed!?!? I guess that is the worst feature of a built-in GPS, true also of our previous car.

I like that it gives you two next turns if close together. Our separate GPS is a motorhome GPS for which you really really need that kind of information. So we are happy to see it on a normal GPS. I like that you can easily turn the sound on and off.

I seriously dislike the fact that it displays "street" names and not numbers. In the countryside, these street names are not displayed at all or difficult to find whereas route NUMBERS are always announced. Our separate GPS has both most of the time, I think -- but in any case did not cause us trouble.

The other issue is how to enter a location or waypoint that is not an address. Our last car had "city center" which was not what we wanted but at least got us going that way and not the way it wanted to go. It also seems particuarly grouchy about how you enter "street" addresses. Texas Farm to Market 2346 is written how? Even an interstate?

We frequently want to make the GPSs decide on a different route because they just love interstates and toll roads and certain roads and we prefer country roads. Even turning off interstates and toll roads does not generally go the way we want, hence the need for waypoints. But we only know we want to go toward a certain town, and don't know an address in the town. Fastest and shortest neither one seems optimum for us.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page