Question on Insurance Costs for Niro - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Question on Insurance Costs for Niro

I am looking to buy a Niro and came across a YouTube video of a guy that obviously looks down on vehicles like the Niro. He kept saying that itís not an SUV but Kia calls it that. I donít know why he wasted his time reviewing the Niro if he hated it that much.

But he did say something interesting. He showed the sticker for the Niro and one from a ďrealĒ SUV. The Niro has ďstation wagonĒ in the description where as the other one has ďSUVĒ. He said that description might affect the insurance since SUVs usually cost more to insure and to make sure youíre being charged accordingly.

Has anyone run across this when getting insurance for your Niro?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 02:01 PM

Garage
My 2018 PHEV is only slightly more than my 2015 Ford Fusion so I'm guessing it is rated like a car/wagon. On fueleconomy.gov it is listed by the EPA as a 'small station wagon'.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...n=sbs&id=39799
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 05:02 PM

I'm in Florida and my Niro has "station wagon" on the registration also. More importantly I was SHOCKED when I moved the insurance from my 12 Prius to my new 18 Niro my insurance went DOWN $70. I couldn't believe it.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Currently, I have a 2006 Honda Accord and a 2013 Mazda CX-5. Recentl, I noticed that Iím paying more for the Honda than the Mazda. I am guessing itís because the Mazda has more safety features. Hopefully the Niro will be less than the Mazda!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 09:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouseformonkeys View Post
Currently, I have a 2006 Honda Accord and a 2013 Mazda CX-5. Recentl, I noticed that Iím paying more for the Honda than the Mazda. I am guessing itís because the Mazda has more safety features. Hopefully the Niro will be less than the Mazda!
And more stringent crash test standards. The standards creep up every couple years. Insurance cost is mostly about injury/death not the value of the car. Most people think it's the value of the car, price of repair, etc. Certainly that's a nice chunk of it, but the risk of death/injury is a major piece due to the magnitude of the claims.

And if you want to see some serious crash test awesomeness just watch the Niro tests then go back and watch a car from 20 years ago. Night.and.day. In addition to the new safety features (emergency braking, etc) there is copious amounts of high strength steel on new vehicles such as the Niro.

Enjoy.

Niro:

A greatest hits collection of bad crash tests:

Nouseformonkeys likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandent View Post
And more stringent crash test standards. The standards creep up every couple years. Insurance cost is mostly about injury/death not the value of the car. Most people think it's the value of the car, price of repair, etc. Certainly that's a nice chunk of it, but the risk of death/injury is a major piece due to the magnitude of the claims.

And if you want to see some serious crash test awesomeness just watch the Niro tests then go back and watch a car from 20 years ago. Night.and.day. In addition to the new safety features (emergency braking, etc) there is copious amounts of high strength steel on new vehicles such as the Niro.

Enjoy.

Niro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIT8QXQKM30

A greatest hits collection of bad crash tests:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtHnDKegUJw
Good point.

Those crashes were brutal. Scarily, Iíve owned 3 of those vehicles in the bad crash video.

- Oldsmobile Silhouette (Pontiac Transport)
- GMC Sonoma (Chevy S-10)
- Isuzu Rodeo

I wonder when theyíre going to start making frontal airbags for the backseat passengers. Those poor dummies all suffered whiplash.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 03:10 PM

I insure a 2001 Corvette, 1996 Chevy Truck and a 2008 Chevy HHR. Full coverage $100/$250 ductable and it was costing me $910/year. When I added the 2017 Niro it went up $520 and that was with a 3 month lay-over in the winter.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 03:29 PM

I haven’t purchased a Niro yet. Any day though. Still trying to get a good deal.
Called my insurance company and priced a 2018 PHEV EX Premium.
Said it would raise insurance 29.00 a month.
You have to take into account that my truck which is currently my daily driver mileage was reduced from 15,000 a year to 1000 miles a year. Still full coverage.
I’ll only drive it if we need to haul something.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 12:51 AM

Garage
1. I don't think airbags help with whiplash. Head restraints do.
2. Wow...you must have had some kind of death wish. No Suzuki Samurai in that mix? I suppose the Isuzu is bad enough for rollovers so fills in for the Samurai.
3. If I remember the Pontiac Transport story correctly, it was on a 60 minutes episode and the 60 minutes guy owned one and went immediately the next day after filming the story to trade his off. My sister in law did something similar. That thing absolutely collapsed in testing.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandent View Post
1. I don't think airbags help with whiplash. Head restraints do.
2. Wow...you must have had some kind of death wish. No Suzuki Samurai in that mix? I suppose the Isuzu is bad enough for rollovers so fills in for the Samurai.
3. If I remember the Pontiac Transport story correctly, it was on a 60 minutes episode and the 60 minutes guy owned one and went immediately the next day after filming the story to trade his off. My sister in law did something similar. That thing absolutely collapsed in testing.
I just see those rear passenger dummies lurch forward and then are stopped by the seatbelts and flung back with their heads being violently snapped back and forth. Maybe the airbags would reduce the forward momentum a bit. But maybe it looks worse than it is.

In the ‘90s and 2000s, I worked for EDS and I received employee discounts on GM cars, hence the GMC and Olds (and a Saturn). And the van I got a bigger discount on because they were shuttering the Olds brand altogether. I was not aware of the horrible crash test results. I loved that van! I guess ignorance really is bliss! And technically, the pickup and van and the Isuzu were my wife’s vehicles. :O

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page