Was the Premium Package available for the 2017s? - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By yticolev
  • 1 Post By cockedandglocked
  • 1 Post By yticolev
  • 1 Post By badyellowvette

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Was the Premium Package available for the 2017s?

Iím actually looking at a pre-owned 2017 Niro EX that has a sunroof. The site is a bit vague on the features. The pictures show a sunroof and the specs show Technology Package, Sunroof and full leather seats. But it doesnít mention the advanced safety tech.

Looking at the Kia site at the 2018s and the only way to get the sunroof now is to get the EX Premium Package. Was that the same for the 2017s? What Iím really interested in is the Auto Emergency Braking, Lane Keep Assist, and Forward Collision Warning. Was there a way to get the sunroof separate from the Premium Package for the 2017 model year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouseformonkeys View Post
What Iím really interested in is the Auto Emergency Braking, Lane Keep Assist, and Forward Collision Warning.
That is the technology package. However, the 2017 only had lane departure warning, not lane keep assist. Get a used 2018 instead to have all the current tech. That said, while it only take one prevented fatal accident for LKAS to prove valuable, it doesn't work as well as on more expensive cars like Volvo, Tesla, and Cadillac. It can lose lock in reducing radius turns, and hill crests. Doesn't work on even well marked narrow roads in excellent lighting conditions.

For one other insight, the Niro has very good steering feel and the LKAS screws that up with constant adjustments that nudge the steering wheel. I turn it off on some roads where it doesn't work well as those nudges happen every time it locks in and every time it loses lock. All cars with LKAS like to steer towards exit and then go manual. As it reads exits as a turn, it gives a hard nudge towards the exit and then gives up.

Still, I have LKAS engaged 97% of the time. If I want to take my eyes off the road for a couple seconds, I make sure I'm on a clear road and the green icon indicating lane lock is on. For those few seconds it is fine, but it is only a safety enhancer, don't trust it. It has already kept me in lane or beeped for a lane departure enough to prove its value to leave on.
Nouseformonkeys likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 12:01 AM

Garage
One thing I've noticed about the auto emergency braking, especially when combined with the adaptive cruise control, is that the ACC seems to lock on to the car in front of me, and if they change lanes and slow down, my car hits the brakes hard even though the other car is already out of my lane and not a hazard anymore. Seems to annoy the car behind me more than myself, but still... Something to keep in mind. The system seems to have some kinks that need to be worked out, but overall it works very well.

2018 PHEV
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 12:49 AM

I hate SCC. I always switch over to standard CC. AEB still works, but doesn't trigger on cars turning right ahead, or other non hazardous situations like the one you mention - super annoying and hurts mpg. If you are a proactive driver, standard CC is far more efficient (in terms of mpg) than SCC. You are dependent on the bad driving behavior of the vehicle ahead with SCC. With CC, you can look at the road ahead and make small adjustments to speed to smooth out constant accelerating and deceleration, improving mpg.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

I actually never use CC at all. LOL. But my newly licensed teenaged daughter will be driving this car and she hasnít even tried it yet. I think the AEB, Blind Spot Warning and the Lane Departure Warning is probably this most important features Iím looking for. Sheís a good driver and maybe Iím being overly paranoid.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 03:27 PM

In 2017 you could only get the sunroof on the EX with the technology package. That is why I bought a 2017 to get the sunroof and power seat.In 2018 it would cost you more to have a power seat and sunroof and I also didn't want lane assist.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badyellowvette View Post
In 2017 you could only get the sunroof on the EX with the technology package. That is why I bought a 2017 to get the sunroof and power seat.In 2018 it would cost you more to have a power seat and sunroof and I also didn't want lane assist.
Thanks. That makes sense now. I noticed at the CarMax site that the couple 2017s had sunroofs and Tech Package. Does yours have AEB and BSD?

I ended up buying a new 2018 EX with Advanced Tech Package. It doesnít have the sunroof but thatís ok.

Funny(?) story. I bought the Niro on Saturday and went to CarMax on Sunday to sell my old car. I had actually brought it in a couple of weeks ago to get appraised but didnít sell it then because I hadnít found a car to replace it with and still needed a car until then. The agent that helped me out the first time asked me what car I got and when I told him he got this exasperated look. I thought he was going to tell me that Kias or the Niro in particular was a piece of junk or something. But then he told me that he had a 2017 Niro on hold for somebody and just unreserved it the day before because the potential buyer never called back. But the prices of the used cars were within $1500 of the price I paid so Iím not too bummed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page