Audio continues after car is off - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Audio continues after car is off

The audio continues after the car is turned off. I can understand that someone might want this, but I don't. Am I missing a setting? I can't seem to find anything related to this. It only stops when I open the driver door. I do not necessarily want to open the driver door immediately nor do I want to have to turn off the audio because then I'd have to turn it on when I turn the car on again.

I did find a setting so I can hear the audio when I back out of the garage... I listen to audio books from my phone and didn't like missing some of it while I back out of the garage... Problem solved with settings.

2018 Kia Niro EX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyn View Post
The audio continues after the car is turned off. I can understand that someone might want this, but I don't. Am I missing a setting? I can't seem to find anything related to this. It only stops when I open the driver door. I do not necessarily want to open the driver door immediately nor do I want to have to turn off the audio because then I'd have to turn it on when I turn the car on again.

I did find a setting so I can hear the audio when I back out of the garage... I listen to audio books from my phone and didn't like missing some of it while I back out of the garage... Problem solved with settings.

2018 Kia Niro EX

My 2004 GMC Denali does the same thing.
Couldn’t change it in the truck. Not sure about the Niro
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 02:21 PM

Garage
My 2007 Audi is the same way too. Never really bother me, but I also never really understood the point. It think it's maybe that way so that if you are talking on the phone using Bluetooth, the audio keeps working if you park the car and stop the engine. Otherwise your call will lose audio suddenly.
If I ever need to stop my car and stay inside, and want the audio to turn off, I just open and close the door real quick.

2018 PHEV
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 02:30 PM

Garage
Pretty sure every car in the last 15 years is that way.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 03:01 PM

I don't think cars with ignition keys work this way. So getting the FE run might be worth it if that is a big problem.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 03:42 PM

Garage
I have a setting in mine that selects ignition off, of door open.....I currently have it set to door open, so the second I open the door, it shuts down!

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

I prefer that setting in my older Edge. I pick up my daughter from Dance so you'd want to get into the parking lot before the classes are over, and turn off the engine and listen to music while I wait for her to finish. This is the common way that cars are wired. Now, the hybrid is different in that the engine will auto turn on and off to maintain the large battery inside. You stop and put it into park, there is litttle reason to turn the car off except to get out. It's not like you are burning gas just sitting in idle. Unless you have accessories that are hard wired into a circuit that turns on and off with the iginition position.

I am curios with the OP, why do you want to stop your car have the auto turn off, but still just sit there in silence?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 07:17 PM

I've had a couple of occasions recently to sit in the car and listen to something streaming. I left car on so it didn't time out or nag me about turning off the audio. About every 15 minutes, the engine turned on, presumably to top off the 12V battery and the traction battery (the source of electricity for the 12 V, and ran for about three minutes. So yes, some gas will be burned.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
I am curios with the OP, why do you want to stop your car have the auto turn off, but still just sit there in silence?
I can understand that some people want it that way but I don't. I drive into the garage and am gathering my things, no longer listening to the audio book that I have on. One of the things I'm gathering is the phone that the audio book is on.

I've been opening the door and closing it again, but that is a big "effort" for such a simple thing. I could press the radio off button, but then it wouldn't come on automatically when I start the car again. I think the easiest thing is to stop the story on the car "radio", but just seems to me that this should be a setting.

Now that I've found the setting that allows me to hear my story when I'm backing, I do want it to start. Besides, the phone car connection is flakey enough I do need to make sure it's going to start and start playing the right thing before I get to the street, otherwise I have to pull over and deal with the phone/car connection.

The Prius V we also have had no key and it did not continue playing the radio. Comment for the people who say all cars made in the last 15 years keep playing the audio after you turn it off...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Now that I have an actual Kia Niro, I do see your point with the entertainment system and its refinements. I think it's some of the very small details that need to get updated. On the plus side, I believe that all of it is written in flash firmware, so the features and functions that we discuss can actually be re-programmed into a new code. The downside is that without the original source or a set of flash firmware to try and reverse engineer, making any changes will be next to impossible.

I don't know if this is connected to your issues or not, but what I find sort of frustrating is that the center console display entertainment center, there is no way to actually turn it off that I can figure out short of opening the door. What makes it worrisome from my perspective, is that you can have it on, and then you start to get messages that you are draining the battery and that you will need to start the car. If I am running out of power, then why not give me a method to shut it down? It seems like either the console battery is rather small or weak as it doesn't take very long for it to start complaining.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page