Has anyone installed a dash cam on their Niro? - Kia Niro Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone installed a dash cam on their Niro?

I know you can just let the dash cam power cord just hang from the cam unit mounted on the windshield down to the power plug below but thatís kind of messy. Iím wondering how much of a pain it is to route the power cord from the windshield down the A Pillar and into the space under the dash.

Anybody do this yet?

Plus bonus points if someone has installed the rear mounted cam and hid those wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

I have installed a Viofo A129 in my Nero. I ended up using the spare fuse stop that is 3 across and 2nd down. I used the micro2 fuse tap in my Dashcam power kit. Ran the cable along the front of the roof liner, then across the A-pillar and then inside rubber door seal down to the driver side floor and loop back up to the driver fuse box. It took about 15 minutes to install once I figured out what fuse spot to use that was triggered on/off by the ignition.

Now the rear camera I was thinking of but decided against it as the Niro comes with full curtain airbags and that would require you to take off all the side roofline pannels to run the wire behind the airbags. The last thing you'd want to do is to run a wire where the airbag will deploy. A friend had suggested that you could consider removing the whole roof headliner and run the cable the through the middle, but it seemed like way too much work for any benefit. Let's face it. If you get struck from behind, the law is pretty much on your side that the person who hits you is at fault. That is unless you are reversing in what case the law says you are at fault.

I am not sure if you are wanting photos.
dots, Nouseformonkeys and chad like this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
I have installed a Viofo A129 in my Nero. I ended up using the spare fuse stop that is 3 across and 2nd down. I used the micro2 fuse tap in my Dashcam power kit. Ran the cable along the front of the roof liner, then across the A-pillar and then inside rubber door seal down to the driver side floor and loop back up to the driver fuse box. It took about 15 minutes to install once I figured out what fuse spot to use that was triggered on/off by the ignition.

Now the rear camera I was thinking of but decided against it as the Niro comes with full curtain airbags and that would require you to take off all the side roofline pannels to run the wire behind the airbags. The last thing you'd want to do is to run a wire where the airbag will deploy. A friend had suggested that you could consider removing the whole roof headliner and run the cable the through the middle, but it seemed like way too much work for any benefit. Let's face it. If you get struck from behind, the law is pretty much on your side that the person who hits you is at fault. That is unless you are reversing in what case the law says you are at fault.

I am not sure if you are wanting photos.
Thanks for the info. Seems pretty straightforward for the front. The rear does sound like itís not worth the effort.

I saw a couple of examples from a YouTube video where the rear cam came in handy. One instance was where the car was rear ended, but the other driver went around the first car and turned down a side street before it could be captured in the front camera. Another was where a car pulled into a gas station and parked past the main pumps at a 90 degree angle from them. One of the cars at the pump backed out and turned right into the first car. If the rear camera was not there, the owner wouldnít have known which car hit him. In this case, the front camera also captured the hit and run car that was already at the pumps when it first pulled into the station.

But those are extreme cases.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 04:33 PM

Garage
I put my Garmin 20 in, it hangs off of the mirror mount. ran the wire up behind the mirror, under the head liner where it meets the glass, that was simple. The wire transitions on the seam to under the lip on the inside of the rubber door seal. Once at a entry point to under the dash ran it there, then to center console where it rests in the left cig socket!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pillar.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	4097   Click image for larger version

Name:	power.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	4099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cam.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	4101  
Nouseformonkeys likes this.

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks KK6PD. Is the camera mount actually attached to the mirror stalk or is it stuck to the glass just underneath it?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 05:34 PM

I would recommend running the wire down the side of the windshield to avoid aircurtain interference. See photo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181003_140800.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	4103  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

For the two cases that you have given, does it really matter? I don't know what the insurance rules are in your state/province/country. Here where I live, we have no-fault insurance so your own insurance company pays for all your damages and medical. You only need to sue the other side for extreme injuries that would keep you from work, but then again, if the crash was that bad I doubt that the other side hitting would be driving away from the accident.

The idea of having a rear-facing camera is novel, but I don't really know how much more it will actually offer. I guess it might come into play if you get a cop pulling up behind you and you want to document what they were doing. like did they come out with guns drawn demanding you to put your hands out the window where they can see them (or is that just on American TV stations)??

I also have come to the conclusion that for the most part, you want to be able to record that there was someone else involved, but it's not your job or requirement to be able to provide proof positive of who it is. Like, it would be fine to be able to show it was a Blue Sedan that sideswiped you, but it really doesn't matter if you can see if it was a man or woman driving, nor what the exact license plate was.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
I would recommend running the wire down the side of the windshield to avoid aircurtain interference. See photo

I know that dealing with Airbags is a rather tricky thing. What you don't know is what direction and how the airbag is deployed. If the A-Pillar where the airbag is located has the tear away side towards the door, then running it along the window seam is the smarter way to go. But if it's the other way, then your probably best to tuck it away under the rubber along the door frame.

Best choice is not to get into an accident where you need an airbag deployed, but that option is just a given.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 07:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouseformonkeys View Post
Thanks KK6PD. Is the camera mount actually attached to the mirror stalk or is it stuck to the glass just underneath it?

I used the doughnut portion of the Scangauge mount I had, added a 1"piece of turned aluminum round stock, that mates with the camera holder portion on the Garmin Model 20. Yes, it's custom, but geeze, it works great. I prefer the 2 piece doughnut type, it simply fits perfectly, secure! It seems that many new cars have gone to a 1"diameter piece to hold the mirror with. With a ball joint at both ends, it makes adjusting a snap if still tight, annoying if loose or wonky. Just place the ring, it splits half, around the mirror arm, and attach your cam holder to that!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blend mount.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	4105  

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by KK6PD; 10-03-2018 at 07:29 PM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
For the two cases that you have given, does it really matter? I don't know what the insurance rules are in your state/province/country. Here where I live, we have no-fault insurance so your own insurance company pays for all your damages and medical. You only need to sue the other side for extreme injuries that would keep you from work, but then again, if the crash was that bad I doubt that the other side hitting would be driving away from the accident.

The idea of having a rear-facing camera is novel, but I don't really know how much more it will actually offer. I guess it might come into play if you get a cop pulling up behind you and you want to document what they were doing. like did they come out with guns drawn demanding you to put your hands out the window where they can see them (or is that just on American TV stations)??

I also have come to the conclusion that for the most part, you want to be able to record that there was someone else involved, but it's not your job or requirement to be able to provide proof positive of who it is. Like, it would be fine to be able to show it was a Blue Sedan that sideswiped you, but it really doesn't matter if you can see if it was a man or woman driving, nor what the exact license plate was.
Iím not sure what the exact rule is here in Florida, but I got into a minor collision where the person in front tried to do a u-turn but traffic in the lane she was trying to get into was backed up, so she decided to back up to change lanes just as I was passing her to turn left. She clipped my back bumper on the driverís side. The cops were called and luckily another lady who witnessed it stopped to give the cop her statement proving that I wasnít at fault. I called my insurance company and the agent told me it would probably be best to contact the other ladyís insurance and not file a claim with mine (what am I pay for?). Anyway, I did just that and they ended up paying me because the other lady didnít even bother to call and tell them her side of things because she was obviously at fault.

TLDR...I got paid by the other driverís insurance company instead of going through mine.

Iíve been driving for 30 plus years and never had a situation personally where I needed a rear cam. This is more for my teenage daughter who will also be driving the car.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page