What floor mats do you use - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

What floor mats do you use

I will gather that the warm weather people in California and Florida can just use the standard floor mats that came with the vehicle. But for us in the northern part of the continent who get snow, slush and the more dreaded salt dumping know that your carpets will be shot after one year

What is the best option that those who have tried what is out there for the Niro??
I have used Weathertech for my last Ford Edge, but found the one drawback to them is they really do a great job of catching all the slush and snow that will melt on the mat so you are left with a pool under your feet that just collects and collets growing deeper and deeper. By mid-winter I had a good 1/2" of semi-salty ice that would partially freeze overnight then thaw when the car warmed up. You couldn't pull the mat out of the car without spilling it everywhere because the no-slip pin pockets on the floor make pulling the mat out hard. The only way I figured to get the water out was either a full roll of paper towels or some sort of throwaway rag to absorb the mess.

What other makers are there that do a good job of protecting the floors/carpet in and around the front/rear seats? and how do you deal with the melted crap that accumulates over the winter?

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 11:23 AM

Hey Roadkill,

I have a set of TuxMats (tuxmat.ca). They're an outfit in Scarborough (Markham Rd & Steeles). They have a showroom too, but limited pieces on display.

I like them a lot. They fit snug. The front ones go up all sides and tuck under the centre console. The back is one piece, up the sides and back, tucking under the rear seat, but not covering the battery vent.

As for the slush and water... when its not crazy cold, I pull out the shop-vac to get rid of the pool of water.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 11:56 AM

It seems to be coming common for car wash outfits to offer free vacuum. Too far south to have slush issues (usually), but I am taking advantage of the free vacuum for my black carpet which gets looking bad easily. Not sure what else you could do besides containing the slush and removing it.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 02:57 PM

Anyone tried the cut to fit weathertech mats available form Costco.

Last edited by ralser; 10-16-2018 at 02:58 PM. Reason: error
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Any of the car wash outfits around me seem to want to charge quite a bit for vacuuming. Heck, you need to insert a credit card to even get air to pump up your tires now at any gas station. Free is not a service we see much around here. Now I did look into getting a cheep Ridgid portable wet/dry vacuum as you can get a lifetime warranty with them so when you kill them off from sucking up salt water, hopefully, they will be replaced.

Looking at the TuxMats. From the images that I can see, they have a good sized lip around the front mats that I can see, but it looks like the rear seat mats there isn't really a water catch lip to the front. I don't know what it's like design wise when installing as it might be the mat goes up enough under the front seats not to require anything. I am wondering if you have seen any issues with kids being kids and not understanding (or more likely being bothered) to kick off the excess snow when entering the car leading to excess liquid on the mats. I don't have a garage so both our new cars are outside and I know winter being what it is, when it snows the gets stuck inside the cars.

GTA - Canada.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 05:43 PM

I bought the custom cut to fit mats from Walmart. I took my time and cut them perfectly they fit great. I even drilled little holes for the stock floor hooks. I looked on line for a link but couldn't find them. There are two types one for cars and one for sport utilities that are a better fit.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
Any of the car wash outfits around me seem to want to charge quite a bit for vacuuming. Heck, you need to insert a credit card to even get air to pump up your tires now at any gas station. Free is not a service we see much around here. Now I did look into getting a cheep Ridgid portable wet/dry vacuum as you can get a lifetime warranty with them so when you kill them off from sucking up salt water, hopefully, they will be replaced.

Looking at the TuxMats. From the images that I can see, they have a good sized lip around the front mats that I can see, but it looks like the rear seat mats there isn't really a water catch lip to the front. I don't know what it's like design wise when installing as it might be the mat goes up enough under the front seats not to require anything. I am wondering if you have seen any issues with kids being kids and not understanding (or more likely being bothered) to kick off the excess snow when entering the car leading to excess liquid on the mats. I don't have a garage so both our new cars are outside and I know winter being what it is, when it snows the gets stuck inside the cars.
You're right, no lip on the rear mats in front. That said, IMO, I think they go far enough under the seats to matter.

I find the pooling of water is more a front seat thing. There is a vent under the front seats pointed to the back, if you select the floor vent, that seems to do a decent job blowing warm air to the back that helps with drying the rear seat mats.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 07:40 AM

I purchased the Kia Niro rubber mats. Not the same coverage as the Weathertechs but still good. In hindsight Iíd probably look more closely at the Weathertechs but I certainly donít regret the Niro mats I purchased.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I was on the Tuxmat website and it looks as though they just have 1 set of the front mats and none of the rear ones. I watched a youtube video from a Tesla3 owner who ordered and he had indicated that it took about 2-3 months from when he ordered in the spring until he got the mats finally delivered towards the end of the summer. He has said they were sold out when he placed the order and if quickly sold out again after he ordered.

Now there is a listing for a set on Amazon, but I don't know if that is a BS and you will find that when you order it might take a month or two for it to get delivered. For me that might be an issue as I need some mats for my winter, and not a hopefully by Christmass sort of thing. Guess I will be on the phone with them when they open at 10

GTA - Canada.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
I was on the Tuxmat website and it looks as though they just have 1 set of the front mats and none of the rear ones. I watched a youtube video from a Tesla3 owner who ordered and he had indicated that it took about 2-3 months from when he ordered in the spring until he got the mats finally delivered towards the end of the summer. He has said they were sold out when he placed the order and if quickly sold out again after he ordered.

Now there is a listing for a set on Amazon, but I don't know if that is a BS and you will find that when you order it might take a month or two for it to get delivered. For me that might be an issue as I need some mats for my winter, and not a hopefully by Christmass sort of thing. Guess I will be on the phone with them when they open at 10
I bought my set on Amazon. It took about a week.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page