2019 PHEV range - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

2019 PHEV range

After the charging cycle is complete, my range reads 41km. As soon as I switch the Niro on, that range drops to 38km, instantly, despite the rated range supposedly being just under 42km.
I've seen vids of Europeans doing 50km+ on it, so am wondering if there's a difference in the NA model? Or maybe between the 2018/2019 model.
Also, does anyone know anything about the seat-cooling technology? Is it on the AC loop, or is it modular? I've noticed that the car will keep itself in hybrid mode after a charge on occasion, and especially if I've repeatedly charged/discharged in a short amount of time. Does this mean it's actively cooling the battery using the AC, or seat-heat cooler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 05:15 PM

Garage
Sometimes when I turn on the climate control, the estimated mileage instantly drops by 2-3. So maybe when you start the car, climate control comes on and reduces the estimate.

On a full charge, if I start my car with climate off, it shows 26 miles. With climate on, shows 24.

2018 PHEV
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orac View Post
After the charging cycle is complete, my range reads 41km. As soon as I switch the Niro on, that range drops to 38km, instantly, despite the rated range supposedly being just under 42km.
I've seen vids of Europeans doing 50km+ on it, so am wondering if there's a difference in the NA model? Or maybe between the 2018/2019 model.

Hey!, how is the first Canadian PHEV owner doing?

The info that i have about the Canadian ans US PHEV is 42Km (26 miles in the US) top charge.!

So, for the 50km and + range... i did see it in some euro videos, but i do not beleive it apply's to us here.!
(i can be wrong, but i got the info on the Kia Niro USA info. Nothing is available for Canadian user...)
Orac likes this.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 06:49 PM

If you just charged the battery, it is hot and needs to cool off. The battery is air cooled with a dedicated circulation fan. Under some conditions, the car may turn on the heat or AC as the battery depends on the cabin ambient temperature.

I agree, if you turn the climate off before turning the car off, your range may stay at the higher number after charging and turning car on.
nogastoday likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 08:05 AM

The 26 mile immediate drop to 24 mile is what I experience here in Florida and of course it is an estimate based on the fact the car is immediately cooling via the AC. These numbers are estimates ...if you live at the top of a hill and your work place is 26 miles downhill you'll get better than the estimated 26 miles. You'll get less on the way home.
The 26 mile is an indication of full charge more than an absolute guarantee that you'll actually be able to get 26 miles.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 11:13 AM

It is an estimate, no more accurate than the HEV range remaining. You can actually get more than the estimate if you are willing to drive with a max speed of 15 mph.
charlesH likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
Hey!, how is the first Canadian PHEV owner doing?

The info that i have about the Canadian ans US PHEV is 42Km (26 miles in the US) top charge.!

So, for the 50km and + range... i did see it in some euro videos, but i do not beleive it apply's to us here.!
(i can be wrong, but i got the info on the Kia Niro USA info. Nothing is available for Canadian user...)

Heya lafe005!

All good; I hope you're enjoying your car as well!

Have yet to use an entire tank of gasoline, even though I've put on 1600km or so (1000 miles).
No issues other than the range indicator, and the UVO not working.
I tried what people here suggested, and they were right. The range, fully charged today at a L2 mall charger, showed 41km. I killed anything climate related and turned the Niro on. It stayed at 41km. The second I switched the fan on low, in any mode, it would drop to 38km. Killing the fan brought it back to 41km.
Interestingly, the seat cooler did not diminish range.

I plan to document a hypermile attempt in the near future. Must find a clear and flat course near a charger, and a day without rain to make it happen.

My driving style is usually around 85% eco, 15% normal and 0% aggressive. Should be fun to see how far that car can go at 40km/h on a full charge (just doing the electric part of the test).

Thanks for the help all!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Heya lafe005!
The second I switched the fan on low, in any mode, it would drop to 38km. Killing the fan brought it back to 41km.
Interestingly, the seat cooler did not diminish range.

Thanks for the help all!

AMAZING! You just cleared up a big mystery that I've been fretting about, and I can confirm your findings. Thank you!. I had observed that if I charge the car to full, when I check with the uvo app, it reports an all electric range of 26 mi, but as soon as I start the car, it reports 24 mi. After reading your post, I played with the fan (with AC off) and noticed that the range would go down by 2 mi as soon as I set the fan on at even the lowest speed, and would go up 2 mi as soon as I turned the fan completely off. Mystery solved! Thanks for sharing this information.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Heya lafe005!

All good; I hope you're enjoying your car as well!

Have yet to use an entire tank of gasoline, even though I've put on 1600km or so (1000 miles).
No issues other than the range indicator, and the UVO not working.

That is sooo cool for the 1600km on the same tank!

Mine is still on the "train".. hope to get it very soon! at the mean time, my HEV EX trim still keep's me smiling when i pass a gaz pump.!

I know that some users in Alberta got theirs too. FYI, the UVO system is not functional on canadian PHEV because the head unit is not configurated yet.! (got the info from one of the owners in AB)

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 06:35 PM

I too noticed the 2m drop in range the moment you turn on the fan, and I wondered why the 12v battery doesn't take care of the fan?