PHEV Charging/Fuel Stations Display - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By cockedandglocked

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

PHEV Charging/Fuel Stations Display

I like the feature that shows me the closest charging and fueling stations however, it is POINTLESS to give me the info if I have to turn around and manually put the address in my phone to use apple maps/car play to navigate me to it. Why can't I touch the station I want and have it route me there? Very frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 06:41 AM

Is it really useful to navigate to a charging station versus just leaving it in HEV mode? Lot of time wasted charging and probably paying more for electricity than the gas would have cost.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

That is a valid point that doesn't seem to get discussed a whole lot when it comes to the green energy movement. The whole reason that gas stations exist is not for your driving convieniance, but becuase the owner of that location makes money. In the big towns/small city there is easily 50,000 cars and likely around 10 gas stations to fuel them. But for electric cars there are likely less than 25 cars so even getting 1 charging station they would need to get a thousand times the profit per charge to even get close to the same return if compaired to going gas. This just can't happen, even more so if you consider how long it takes to charge a car.

Electric cars are great for the consmer, but really bad for the refilling station retailer.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 09:08 AM

Cars with charging abilities may be great for those with charging facilities at home or work, not so great for anyone else. Outside of owning an older Tesla with free access to rapid charging, typically paying for a chargepoint is not that economical.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 04:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Cars with charging abilities may be great for those with charging facilities at home or work, not so great for anyone else. Outside of owning an older Tesla with free access to rapid charging, typically paying for a chargepoint is not that economical.

Yep, I came to the same conclusion. I could never see myself wasting my time/money charging at a public facility unless it was free. The only time I've ever used one was at the airport, which happened to be free. The ones that charge money just don't make any sense, financially speaking.

I'm better off spending $6 at the gas pump than $6 at a charging station, I'll get more miles and spend a lot less time filling up.
charlesH and dontfret like this.

2018 PHEV
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

I did the math and understand the cost benefit ratio of charging vs gas fill up. I don't ever see myself charging up outside of gone or work, or maybe a hotel during an overnight stay. However, that's not what my complaint is about.

It still seems pointless to have the station info there if I can't directly navigate to it without going through a tedious process.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 10:20 AM

I think our point is having a feature working that you will never use is besides the point. I agree that it is poor design, but seriously, have you never used tech before? Full of disappointments, especially user interface.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 12:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
I think our point is having a feature working that you will never use is besides the point. I agree that it is poor design, but seriously, have you never used tech before? Full of disappointments, especially user interface.

Ya exactly. I never even noticed that it "didn't work well" because I've never once tried to navigate to a charging station, and never will, and I can't imagine why anyone else would either (with the exception of EV-only cars, of course).

2018 PHEV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page