Pre-heating: how much to under charge battery? - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By brandent

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Pre-heating: how much to under charge battery?

I tried to pre-heat my 2019 plug-in Niro, but it turned off the engine almost immediately. I believe that was because my battery was fully charged and that I need to start leaving room for the engine to charge the battery.

I was wondering what others have found is the needed remaining range to be able to pre-heat the car at different temperatures. Please note whether you are stating miles or km, F or C. Also is anyone using the scheduled leaving time to purposely uncharge their vehicle? If so, how long after you plan on really leaving do you tell the vehicle to have the charge done at?

I am aware that the EVO app in USA has the option to remotely start the vehicle, but that some other countries don't have this option. Ability to easily heat the car up first in winter is something I would think most countries would like to have. Has Canada added this feature yet? My sister lives there and is also interested in this car.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 11:12 AM

Garage
Is it a phev, or hev? My phev can run engine without charging the battery. I can charge the battery to 100%, and it will still run the engine while pre-heating.

2018 PHEV
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

It is a 2019 PHEV plug in. I just assumed that is why it failed to stay on. Will have to experiment more to see what is going on if you haven't had that happen.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 12:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrensch View Post
It is a 2019 PHEV plug in. I just assumed that is why it failed to stay on. Will have to experiment more to see what is going on if you haven't had that happen.
My remote start acts odd in my car sometimes too, I think it's just buggy UVO software, I don't think it has to do with your charge level. I have mine set to warm the cabin and defrost at 7am every day, and most days the car is warm and running when I go out at 7:10, but other days it's cold and I'm not even sure the car turned on at all. I'm still tinkering with it trying to figure out how to get it to consistently be warm and defrosted every morning when I go out.

Also, once the engine is warm, it turns it off but keeps the fans blowing because it doesn't need to keep the engine running to warm the cabin, that could be another possible explanation.

2018 PHEV
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 03:15 PM

Garage
I have a 2018 PHEV so maybe it isn't exactly the same but probably is. Things I have noticed:
1. The app sucks. Nor is it obvious which app you are supposed to use/download. After considerable effort to get UVO up and running it worked. UVO eco.
2. It won't remote start if the doors are unlocked or the key is in it. So if by chance I forgot to lock the vehicle I remote lock it first then do the remote start.
3. It's not really remote start but I call it that. If it is air conditioning the vehicle doesn't start...not necessary. But it needs to heat the engine up to get heat.
4. I often use the website on my laptop to do the remote start instead of the phone app. It is more reliable. So if leaving work I log into the owner uvo thing website and kick off the heat.
5. Recently Kia updated the owner website and uvo website to integrate it into a single website. Besides these remote functions, you can get full owner's manual there so just check your owner's manual. It also contains recall info.
6. If the engine starts up because I told it to heat the cabin, then a few things seem to be true.
a. The engine warms up ridiculously fast. Lots of new cars do this. There's a heat exchanger on the exhaust pipe that captures more exhaust heat and circulates coolant through there to heat up the coolant which of course is where the heat for the heater commes from. So it takes only maybe 2 or 3 minutes to start throwing heat out of the heater vents.
b. The engine will shut off once the water is sufficiently hot and the heater will run off the latent heat until the temp of the water drops to some threshold. This might be why it shuts off quickly.
c. I think it runs a max of 10 minutes either way. Maybe it's 20. It'll say in your manual.

Regarding the 'leave space'. I don't think it's necessary but yes I typically do. For example when leaving home with a full charge, I won't heat the cabin up first. I'll get in and drive it a mile with the climate off. Then I hit the auto button and the engine kicks on.

1. I think my method is likely a bit unnecessary. Most people would prefer a warm car.
2. The engine runs at I believe a constant 2000 rpm which also is another reason why the engine heats up really quickly while parked.
3. I don't think that the engine charging the batteries is as efficient as the engine directly driving the wheels, but at least as a method to warm up in stop/go traffic and while parked, it is a nice constant rpm at an efficient speed.
4. My way to work is 45 miles the first 25 of which are straight north at 70mph. The EV mode with the engine running constant 2000 rpm doesn't heat up the engine at that speed due to the fact it is taking it a great deal of cold air (often driving into the wind) so instead I put it in HEV mode and the engine drives directly and works harder and heats the engine coolant up properly. Then once that is complete and I'm about 12 miles out, I switch to BEV and the gas engine won't kick on at all.

So if you are going over about 20 miles in cold weather, I suggest just putting it in HEV mode the first few miles and heat the engine up good. In my case it doesn't hold the battery constant charge anyway even in HEV mode. It drains the battery slowly.
lafe005 likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
@Brendent, Can you pre-heat the car when on a charge ?

Thanks.!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Has Canada added this feature yet? My sister lives there and is also interested in this car.

Hi, yes the UVO app is now available in Canada for the 2019 Niro PHEV only. Lets say we are the beta-tester for their "Kia Canada UVO" application. for now, only the base options like the "remote start" for the heat and defrost, lock-unlock, find my car etc.. is available. But no heating seats or steering like in 15.000$ RIO UVO app options and that realllyyyyy sucks.

it can take from at least 20-30 seconds to sometime a good minute to get the command sent to the car. So yes their "telephone modem" system in the car is not that fast enough, so like does Brandent, i use my computer from work to make it go faster.

the UVO eco app that is only available in the USA, looks the best one too use.! but is not compatible for us here.!

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
@cockedandglocked:

Can you pre-heat the car when on a charge ?

Thank you

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
I can charge the battery to 100%, and it will still run the engine while pre-heating.

I think i have misread this post.!

So, if i do understand, you can "remote start" the engine to pre-heat or climate, while charging the PHEV at the same time !?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I tried to pre-heat my 2019 plug-in Niro, but it turned off the engine almost immediately. I believe that was because my battery was fully charged and that I need to start leaving room for the engine to charge the battery.

I was wondering what others have found is the needed remaining range to be able to pre-heat the car at different temperatures. Please note whether you are stating miles or km, F or C. Also is anyone using the scheduled leaving time to purposely uncharge their vehicle? If so, how long after you plan on really leaving do you tell the vehicle to have the charge done at?

I am aware that the EVO app in USA has the option to remotely start the vehicle, but that some other countries don't have this option. Ability to easily heat the car up first in winter is something I would think most countries would like to have. Has Canada added this feature yet? My sister lives there and is also interested in this car.

Thanks

I don't have the PHEV just the standard HEV/hybrid..........however.............if you turn your heat temperature to HIGH, that will FORCE the ICE engine ON,,,,,, most anything above 70 degrees for a heat setting forces my engine ON. I've noticed that as I reduce the temperature, 70 and below often shuts the engine OFF, once the engine is warmed up.

I bet if you set your heat/temp to HIGH you will experience a much longer running engine. I'm guessing that this would applyl to both HEV and PHEV versions.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page