EV - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Only one trim available : the SX version fully loaded... but now, the price ??

It will have the same "powertrain" of the 2020 Soul EV.. 64 kWh lithium polymer battery

Bjorn Nyland was able to make a 500km / 310 mile trip on a single charge in Seoul.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 12:21 PM

Not sure how repeatable that kind of mileage is going to be, but its impressive nonetheless. I'm guessing that it will probably be priced just north of $30k.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Was it that Bjorn started at the top of a really big mountain and drove the car down it?? What really bugs me about the MPG listed for any car is that they don't really list the assumptions or conditions that they got that so-called average. I don't see how many people are inside the car. (are they a family of 4? fat or skinny). They don't list the ambient temp that the test is performed or the temp that the car was before the test started.

Lets face it, I don't care what car you are driving, if you left it outside for the night in winter in ThunderBay where its -40 outside, and then started it up in the morning, you are going to get far worse MPG than if you did the exact same thing down in southern California. I know we all like to go on about how great the MPG is for one car over another, but it turns out to be irrelevant unless you actually test that vehicle in your area doing the type of driving that you do in your particular weather patterns.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
What really bugs me about the MPG listed for any car is that they don't really list the assumptions or conditions that they got that so-called average. I don't see how many people are inside the car. (are they a family of 4? fat or skinny). They don't list the ambient temp that the test is performed or the temp that the car was before the test started
Here’s the EPA rules for the mpg testing:
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Was it that Bjorn started at the top of a really big mountain and drove the car down it??

The guy drove at ~ 90km/h, no wind and a nearly flat road in Seoul...

but hey, who drives 90km/h in Canada.! hahaha..

Quote:
Lets face it, I don't care what car you are driving, if you left it outside for the night in winter in ThunderBay where its -40 outside, and then started it up in the morning, you are going to get far worse MPG than if you did the exact same thing down in southern California. I know we all like to go on about how great the MPG is for one car over another, but it turns out to be irrelevant unless you actually test that vehicle in your area doing the type of driving that you do in your particular weather patterns.

in my book, no one can get all the SAME promissed MPG all over the world! for that i follow you.!

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
but hey, who drives 90km/h in Canada.! hahaha..

...and lived to tell about it. I was given the finger for driving at 110 in the slow lane on the 401 in the fall. I would imagine that had I been going at 90, I would have been either rear ended or shot (a Toronto thing).

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
...and lived to tell about it. I was given the finger for driving at 110 in the slow lane on the 401 in the fall. I would imagine that had I been going at 90, I would have been either rear ended or shot (a Toronto thing).

Tell me about it.!!! was driving from the airport YYZ to Hamilton, and was going 130km/h on the right lane.. got almost killed by another one.! as not going faster

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 02:04 PM

The driving range of the EV has now been downgraded below 300 miles, as apparently there were some 'mistakes' during testing. The original 301 miles has now been revised to 282. https://www.carscoops.com/2018/12/ki...testing-error/
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 10:32 AM

Based on the announced price in other countries, I expect the loaded version to be at least $40k. Given the Niroís limitations and Kiaís poor resale value, I think a Tesla M3 makes a lot more sense even with $3750 less in US Fed tax credit...but only if you want a pure BEV. Having had several BEVís, I would never consider taking one on a long trip. The charge time/location hassle, the cost per mile for public charging (Tesla is not free any more unless you buy a CPO used one) and current price of gas makes the hybrid or the PHEV a better buy, IMHO.

Tesla M3, supercharger rate is 26 cents/kWh here in FL. That gets me 4 miles, optimistically. A bit over 6 cents per mile. Niro is more like 4 cents/mile. Charge Tesla at home, Tesla is very slightly less than Niro, but still more than Niro PHEV. And, Tesla is the most efficient BEVís available nationwide.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page