Plethora of Warning Sounds in Niro - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Plethora of Warning Sounds in Niro

I've never owned a vehicle which had so many different warning sounds throughout. These things can definitely be appreciated when helpful or annoying when not wanted. At any rate, the list is extensive.

1. Exterior "Locking/Unlocking Vehicle BEEP" which is accompanied by a flash of the exterior lights.

2. Key Fob "Panic Button Alarm" is an obnoxious but loud sounding "el'-cheapo" car horn. Probably ditto sound for a real car alarm situation.

3. The "ACTUAL Vehicle Horn", activated by pressing the steering wheel horn button, is a lovely 2 note "harmony tone" similar to what used to be on most American Made vehicles. I WISH I could substitute a millisecond blast of this horn (ala my Dodge Caravan) instead of the pretty soft beep which occurs when you lock the doors. Sometimes we may wonder if we actually locked the vehicle after walking away and the existing beeper is just too soft to hear from any distance when the button on the key fob is depressed.

4. A soft exterior beeping sound up front when the Niro is placed in Reverse. This one is barely audible from inside the vehicle and actually should have been placed at the rear of the Niro as it only appears to activate when in reverse, supposedly to warn pedestrians behind you, not in front of you.

5. Interior parking sensor beepers (one on either side of the interior to help indicate which detector is sensing an object). If said object is directly in front of OR behind the vehicle, both these beepers will sound simultaneously. All of these beeps are accompanied by little indicator lights in the dashboard showing which sensor is detecting an object. Fortunately, the audible volume of these parking sensor beepers can be turned down in the settings menu. YES! Unfortunately, I believe these SAME BEEPERS are used for the Lane Departure Warning AND the Lane Keeping Assist Warning which sounds if you happen to cross a line without the signal light being activated. In either of these cases, the volume is at maximum. At least I have found no way to turn them down.

6. A strange little 2 note, soft but pleasant sounding, chime (kinda like one of those kid's wind up toys or a Jewelry Music Box). This one goes off randomly while driving (not every day), but only for a single two note "ding dong" chime, and I have absolutely no clue what it is for.

7. A somewhat annoying single beep that occurs when you successfully complete a correct turn as suggested by the Navigation System. Oh, shut up already! Just tell me when I'm wrong!

8. Emergency stopping warning when the front radar senses rapid closing speed on the vehicle in front of you. I'm not sure if this is just another use of already mentioned interior beepers or something else completely but it is pretty loud and probably a good thing.

9. The musical ditty which activates EVERY time you start the vehicle. I've noticed that IF you try to put the Niro in gear before this melody completes it's sequence, the vehicle will not move and you have to start the whole sequence all over again. Don't rush me baby, I'm just getting turned on!

THINGS I WOULD LOVE TO SEE KIA CHANGE WITH ALL THESE ALARMS:

a) Do not activate the FRONT parking sensors when the vehicle is placed in REVERSE. I appreciate having them active when parking the vehicle in our relatively tight garage. However, I hate having to listen to them firing off again when I'm backing out of the garage next day. Front Sensors active when in Drive, Rear Sensors active when in Reverse! Thank you very much.

b) Reprogram the Lane Departure Warning so that it turns off earlier when a passing vehicle is already clearly visible in front of or beside you. This can be especially annoying in heavy freeway traffic when you signal to make a lane change after the passing vehicle is obviously already moving ahead of you and the damned beeper is still blasting at you.

c) Put small heaters on the Radar Sensor especially and also on the parking sensors if not cost prohibitive. Things can get pretty annoying when driving in slushy conditions as debris quickly builds up on these devices. There are other vehicles out there which definitely have heaters on the Radar Sensor. Fortunately, the parking sensors can be deactivated with a switch but then you have to remember to turn them back on again if you want to actually make use of them as intended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by achr View Post
6. A strange little 2 note, soft but pleasant sounding, chime (kinda like one of those kid's wind up toys or a Jewelry Music Box). This one goes off randomly while driving (not every day), but only for a single two note "ding dong" chime, and I have absolutely no clue what it is for.
I think that one is the freeze warning. It chimes when the outside temp falls below 40 degrees (Fahrenheit). You'll see a little snowflake next to the temp display in the upper left corner of the instrument cluster.

I do agree though, this is the chattiest car I've ever owned.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 05:32 PM

Garage
I keep my stereo volume at 15 or higher and I hardly hear any of them

It's still better than what my Audi does every time I start it. It goes BEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEP extremely loudly, and flashes a giant warning message on the dashboard that says, "Adaptive headlight failure". Adaptive headlights mean that they turn when the car turns. So my car feels the need to YELL at me, at least twice a day, that my headlights act like normal headlights instead of adaptive ones. You cannot turn the message off, the only way to get rid of it is by fixing the headlights, which costs about $1500. So for the last 4 years, I've just had to deal with it.

TL;DR - compared to what I'm used to, the Niro's chimes and beeps are quite pleasant

2018 PHEV
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 01:45 PM

The key fob alarm is forever going off by accident when I have anything else in my pocket. I wish they had recessed that button so it would be less likely to do that.

I completely agree that the navigation system's "successful turn" beep is unnecessary and annoying. It would be great if there was an option to turn that off.

You can put the car in gear while the melody is still playing, but you do need to wait for the green car icon to light up before you put it in gear.

I agree that it would be nice to suppress all the beeping when backing out of my garage. A button that would suppress the alarms for 30 seconds would be wonderful. But there actually is a good reason for the front alarms to go off when you are in reverse, as I discovered a few days ago when backing up in a parking lot and turning in a way that would have put the front tires against a curb if the alarm had not gone off. Still, when backing out of the garage, the beeping noise is so distracting that if the car was to drag against a wall or something, I might not hear that sound as quickly as I would if there was no beeping. There's also some strange beep that happens once I'm all the way out of the garage, but still in reverse, and I haven't figured out what that is supposed to be indicating yet. Maybe it's trying to point out that I'm still in reverse, not sure.

Yes, the lane departure alarm going off when the car its sensing is already in view is a problem. In heavy traffic, I sometimes turn on my turn signal while I'm being passed and that alarm goes off, leaving me to wonder if there really is a car that I'm not aware of, or if it's just sounding the alarm for the car that has already pulled ahead of my peripheral vision.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 02:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasmith View Post
The key fob alarm is forever going off by accident when I have anything else in my pocket. I wish they had recessed that button so it would be less likely to do that.

Me too. This is the first car I've had that has that problem. Half the time when I bend down to pick somrething up in my house, I hear my car alarm going off outside. I've started making a point of putting my car key on the table when I get home.

Quote:
I completely agree that the navigation system's "successful turn" beep is unnecessary and annoying. It would be great if there was an option to turn that off.

Haha, "DING, congratulations you didn't crash"

2018 PHEV
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Quote:

Me too. This is the first car I've had that has that problem. Half the time when I bend down to pick somrething up in my house, I hear my car alarm going off outside. I've started making a point of putting my car key on the table when I get home
So it’s not just me? Woohoo!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:47 PM

anyone know a way to adjust volume of the safety warnings? When I've got the music up, I'd actually like to hear these in most instances...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page