Took my '18 PHEV to the snow, finally! - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Took my '18 PHEV to the snow, finally!

I finally got the chance to take the Niro up to the snow, and I was hugely impressed.

At 5000' last weekend, it was blizzard conditions. Very low visibility, very heavy snow. 2 feet in one day. Perfect to test the Niro's snow abilities!

I drove about 20 miles in snow conditions up the mountain, and 20 miles back down the snow. 200 miles overall, that trip, but mostly rain until I got to higher elevations.

While carrying chains (Peerless #0154010 Autotrac), I did not use them on the way up the hill. Chain controls were in effect, but nobody around to enforce them, so I proceeded onwards without them.

Wow, is all I can say. The car did not break traction once, in 6" of snow on the road. I kept the speed under 30mph. The car drove like it was on rails. Even climbing up the pass, the tires never broke traction even a single time. Only my Audi S6 Quattro has been able to do that, until now. I did not regret leaving the chains off, the car drove wonderfully, and I got to my destination without issue.

On my way home, coming back down the hill, I decided not to chance it (but mostly, I wanted to try my new chains out). The peerless chains were spectacular! I thought the car drove well before? It was GLUED to the road with those chains one. There was zero chance I was going to break traction with those. I even aggressively accelerated, braked, and cornered, to test them out, and did not lose control whatsoever.

These were the snowiest conditions I would ever drive in with this car, and it performed amazingly. It drove as well as, perhaps even better than, my Audi w/ quattro and snow tires. Both with and without chains.

On the highway, I passed a Volvo sedan that had gone off the road, a Ford SUV that was stuck in a ditch, and a Hummer H2 that was also stuck. Drove right by them, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't smirk

Here's a picture of the car at the destination!

lafe005 likes this.

2018 PHEV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 06:43 AM

impressive but you did say nothing about your tires...

as most of the times it is what really makes the difference I believe it is good to precise stock or snow?
You might have mentionned it on another thread but I can't find it
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
On the highway, I passed a Volvo sedan that had gone off the road, a Ford SUV that was stuck in a ditch, and a Hummer H2 that was also stuck. Drove right by them, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't smirk
We see alot of these up north.!

The problerm with these trucks.. Well, actualy, the truck is not the problem, it's more the drivers ... They think that there in a tank and invincible... and at some point, BAM!!! there gone!!!

I call it a "code 18"... 18 inch between the seat and the steering.!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nounounounou View Post

as most of the times it is what really makes the difference I believe it is good to precise stock or snow?

You're right, I did forget to mention that, and it's kind of important! Stock tires. Whatever the factory econo-tires are that came on the car!

2018 PHEV
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:09 PM

even more impressive then !
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 09:48 PM

[QUOTE=cockedandglocked;65863]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nounounounou View Post

Stock tires??? Whoa that's crazy. I was in snow of only 1" recently and got stuck twice with my stock tires, it sucked. Now I'm in the market for snow tires....I have the touring edition niro if that makes a difference? What are your thoughts?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
[quote=NiroInToronto;66191]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post

Stock tires??? Whoa that's crazy. I was in snow of only 1" recently and got stuck twice with my stock tires, it sucked. Now I'm in the market for snow tires....I have the touring edition niro if that makes a difference? What are your thoughts?
My thoughts are, if you got stuck twice in 1" of snow then you may want snow tires

My stock tires were great but also the snow was maybe especially sticky that weekend? Not sure. I also drove very conservatively, didn't push my luck with trying anything I wasn't sure the car could do.

I don't live in snow, so I'm good with my current setup for the occasional weekend trip to the snow. If I lived in snow, I might look into snow tires for the winter.
lafe005 likes this.

2018 PHEV
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiroInToronto View Post
Hi, personnaly, i would never drive in a winter area like Toronto with stock tires.! i'm from Qc and we even have a law that tells us to install winter tires from december first to the 15th of march.

If you are searching for snow tires and since you have the SX Touring edition, you can reduce to a 16 inch mag or steel wheels and some good less expensive tires.!

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
Quote:
Hi, personnaly, i would never drive in a winter area like Toronto with stock tires.! i'm from Qc and we even have a law that tells us to install winter tires from december first to the 15th of march.

If you are searching for snow tires and since you have the SX Touring edition, you can reduce to a 16 inch mag or steel wheels and some good less expensive tires.!

Thanks for the help and assistance! Much appreciated. So 16" will be fine?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
So 16" will be fine?
Oh yes, it will do.. 18 inch winter tires are soo expensive.. and on all other trims they are all on 16 inch wheel base.

You will be able to keep your nice 18 inch alloy wheels for the summer and not in the salt, calcium dirt of the winter time on the 401!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page