Auto stop in cruise only? - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Auto stop in cruise only?

Just an observation (although not fully tested) that the auto stopping only happens when cruise is activated.

Has anyone with more patience read the manual or at least observed this?

If this is the case I am a bit disappointed as I was kind of thinking it would be good for stop and go traffic where I get distracted...

Now the cruise does adjust but it is abrupt on the throttle and less efficient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffidum View Post
Just an observation (although not fully tested) that the auto stopping only happens when cruise is activated.

Has anyone with more patience read the manual or at least observed this?

If this is the case I am a bit disappointed as I was kind of thinking it would be good for stop and go traffic where I get distracted...

Now the cruise does adjust but it is abrupt on the throttle and less efficient.
Not sure I understand your question but I think you're talking about the smart cruise control feature where it will keep a set distance from the car in front of you. This feature is only active when the cruise control is engaged. Also, in the Niro the cruise control disengages at 6mph so it does not in fact, stop the car completely. This is evidently due to the lack of an electronic parking brake in the Niro, an minor disappointment in my opinion. It would be nice to have fully automated stop start in traffic.

When the cruise is not active there is still the front collision avoidance feature. Like the smart cruise control this feature is not active below 6mph. This is intended solely for emergency braking to avoid a collision, not for deliberate use in traffic.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:17 PM

Full stop and start is only available in the EV. Not sure why that is.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:55 PM

Garage
The emergency autonomous braking works even when cruise control is off (as long as you have emergency autonomous braking turned on in the menu, which it should be by default).

You probably just didn't notice because you haven't nearly rear-ended anyone yet. It does NOT NOT NOT replace normal braking. It is designed to literally slam on the brakes (nearly screeching tires) at the last second before it's too late and the computer has decided you aren't going to react in time yourself.

In every other scenario, it does nothing, and lets you control the braking.

You'll usually get a "forward collision warning" chime and message for a moment, and the computer gives you a moment to react yourself, before it gives up waiting for you and hits the brakes itself.

You should never really experience emergency autonomous braking. It would only activate in scenarios where, without it, you probably would have rear-ended the car in front of you. Hopefully that isn't a common occurance - if it is, consider staying off your phone while you're driving

It is not the same thing as the (normal, non-emergency) automatic braking that occurs in smart cruise control mode.
lafe005 likes this.

2018 PHEV

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 01-22-2019 at 11:00 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:08 AM

The AEB feature is something of an enigma. If you read the complaints posted on the NHTSA web site, you'll find "NHTSA ID Number: 11099431" where someone complained that AEB did not protect them form a collision. On the other hand, evidently they survived the experience, and perhaps AEB contributed to that outcome. AEB disengages when your foot is on the brake pedal (which this particular person apparently did at some point, so perhaps AEB didn't even engage in their accident). There are several other limitations to AEB, not all of which seem to be clearly spelled out in the owner's manual. There is a link to a service manual (this documentation is not necessarily correct for recent models or the model in your country) that spells out certain additional limitations to the AEB system.

My take: I hope I never have the opportunity to discover if it even exists. If it does exist and that opportunity comes up for me, maybe it's time for me to reevaluate my approach to driving safely. This is clearly a last-resort, "you messed up", kind of safety feature, and it's clearly not perfect.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:24 AM

Garage
It saved my butt once already. It worked. It literally slammed on my brakes when I was coming up behind someone who was stopped somewhere they shouldn't have, and I was looking over at my blindspot at the time. Car beeped at me aggressively and when I turned my head back to see why, the car slammed on the brakes a split second before I would've anyways. Probably would've hit the guy if it didn't brake for me, and DEFINITELY would have hit the guy if the beeps didn't alert me to the stopped car ahead.

So I have actual first-hand knowledge that it does work. Maybe not in all scenarios, but it worked for me when it was supposed to, so I can't complain.

It was VERY aggressive braking, I can't stress that enough. It virtually locked my tires, I heard them screeching a bit. It is most definitely NOT a system you want to use frequently... keep it enabled, but avoid needing to use it at all costs, it is purely a last resort. Your neck and tire treads will thank me.

2018 PHEV

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 01-23-2019 at 01:28 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Full stop and start is only available in the EV. Not sure why that is.
Evidently the BEV Niro has an electronic parking brake. This feature seems mandatory for full stop cruise control. Maybe ABS can't actuate the brakes below a certain speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techcrunch
Drivers will also find on the panel buttons for the electronic parking brake
https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/03/ki...iles-of-range/

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:16 AM

I did try to test mine but my test failed. Hope it will work in the read world.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
It saved my butt once already. It worked. It literally slammed on my brakes when I was coming up behind someone who was stopped
Did the car come to a complete stop? I've read that while AEB will operate as you describe, it won't come to a full stop in the Niro. That of course leads to a collision if the operator doesn't finalize the stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post
Evidently the BEV Niro has an electronic parking brake. This feature seems mandatory for full stop cruise control. Maybe ABS can't actuate the brakes below a certain speed?
Bingo on the electric parking brake! That is the stated reason why only the BEV can do full start stop.

You likely mean AEB, not ABS. ABS works at two miles an hour.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:00 AM

Garage
Once I realized the car was hitting the brakes for me, I hit the brake pedal myself, so I'm not sure if it would have come to a complete stop by itself or not.

In the AEB test video above, of course it failed. Firstly, cardboard isn't going to be detected by the radar. Secondly, AEB doesn't respond to objects that are stationary and have always been stationary, otherwise it would slam on the brakes any time you make a turn to avoid a parked car or tree. Instead, it tracks the moving car in front of you, and detects when it has slowed to a speed significantly slower than you're going.

So the test didn't fail, you were testing a scenario that the AEB system was designed to ignore.

The only real way to test it is to almost crash into a car that stops in front of you, and that's not a test I recommend trying.

Yes, in a perfect world, AEB would make a car uncrashable, while also never braking when you don't want it to. But AI isn't that good yet, even Tesla hasn't completely figured out how to make that work. So the system we have in our Niro's isn't perfect, but it's far better than nothing, IMO.
TK6 likes this.

2018 PHEV

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 01-23-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page