1Likes
  • 1 Post By cockedandglocked

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
4 ways to regen.

1 - coast.

2 - press the brake pedal.

3 - pressing down on the cruise control (Set/-). It's like a double click, do a double down and hold. Watch the charge gauge.

4 - tow it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 08:04 AM

No regen from towing. But you will damage it if towing all four wheels.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 09:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
No regen from towing. But you will damage it if towing all four wheels.
Purely hypothetically (seriously, do not try this at home) if you flat towed the Niro at a steady speed with the ignition on and in gear (with a driver obviously) it would be exactly the same situation from the car's point of view as if it were coasting down a long hill. It would be the single most inefficient way to charge the battery, but it would probably work.

First question, at a steady 50mph with no brake pedal input, just the default coast regen, how long would it take to charge the PHEV battery from 0 mile range to the max 26?

Second question, repeat the above calculation at max regen (just before the friction brakes are engaged).

Last question, how long (in nanoseconds) would it take Kia to void your powertrain warranty if you tried this unbelievably dumb stunt?

I feel a MythBusters episode coming on.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 02:05 PM

Garage
I would bet it would probably take 200 miles to fully regen the battery while coasting (being pulled by another car).

This based on my experience of getting roughly +1 mile for every 5 miles of coasting, the few times I've actually been able to coast for that far.

In full Regen (foot on brake), it might regen the battery in 100 miles or so.
Jason Carmichael likes this.

2018 PHEV
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have only ever seen my 17 Niro fully charged 3 times. 2 in the same drive.

Tonto National Forest, Arizona. Very long 6% highways. I recall it being fully charged while driving(coasting with cruise set at 70). It took about 2 miles and was full.

I don't know how to do full regen with brake pedal without getting into the friction brakes, but I when you do double tap down on the cruise (Set/-) it does way more regen than coasting. I think the friction brakes really only are applied at like 8 mph and less, and of course in emergency stopping.

Test this out. Set your cruise at 25 or 30 or something, drive to 55 or 60 or something, then press the resume button. It feels like you slamming on the brakes.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:59 AM

I have accidentally put my Niro hybrid in neutral going down hill you should see how fast it will coast, no regen though. I sometimes do this with my Chevy HHR and coast almost 3 miles. The Niro will go too fast for the curves.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:57 AM

Speaking of coasting, I learned something interesting on the Ioniq forum. Sitting at a stoplight, the motor is drawing half an amp (for the crawl function) in drive, zero in neutral. While actually "crawling", the motor is drawing 2 amps. Crawl is evil! I'm going to try to get into the habit of shifting to neutral at a stop to save energy.

On a related topic, I did a really long coast down in drive on the flat. At exactly 6 mph (or 10 kmh), it stopped slowing down and regenerating and switched to crawl. Clearly, if one is actively braking, physical brakes have to be blended in by 6 mph. Could happen a bit earlier, say blended braking starting at around 10 mph on a slow or normal stop, but I, like so many others, cannot tell where blending begins. I only notice the physical brakes on the last few feet of a normal stop. Anyway, that give a good hint for others who want to know where the physical brakes are engaged. For fast or panic braking, all bets are off!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 12:32 PM

I coast to improve mph in the HHR has no effect in the Niro.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:43 PM

You mean mpg? Well, technically, coasting in neutral will improve mpg in the Niro too, for example coasting down to a stop in neutral is better than going faster and using regen as regen is never as efficient as preserving momentum. If you really meant going faster, I don't know why it wouldn't on a good hill.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
You mean mpg? Well, technically, coasting in neutral will improve mpg in the Niro too, for example coasting down to a stop in neutral is better than going faster and using regen as regen is never as efficient as preserving momentum. If you really meant going faster, I don't know why it wouldn't on a good hill.
I did mean mpg but it does increase mph also, I have a really steep hill. And it does nothing in the Niro to increase mpg. It works out the same as going down the hill in drive.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page