EV or PHEV? - Kia Niro Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

EV or PHEV?

Has anyone done the math? We will be looking at the Niro. My wife now has a Leaf, which she loves. We expect to get an EX EV. But her daily commute is 25 miles - perfect for the PHEV. I think I would be fine with either version.
It costs less, but has 1/3rd the rebate. And for weekend shopping, she prefers the freedom and capacity of my RX.
Other factors - I'm retired, and drive a regular car. So added mileage isn't a factor. We aren't in a hurry, and can wait for the EV.
She may be retired in a few years, and will drive less. (or yikes - more, with her free time!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 01:34 PM
TK6

I don't know about the math, but I would look at it more for functionality. If she's only going to use the car for commuting and errands around town, the EV might be the way to go. But if you guys want to use the car for longer road-trips occasionally, the PHEV has the ability to go over 500 miles on a tank of gas and you can just fill up the tank and keep going without waiting to charge. Just my $.02.
charlesH likes this.

2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium
Silver with black interior
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 01:49 PM

Garage
Are you keeping the leaf, and adding the Niro? If so, bear in mind that if you only own 2 EV cars (and nothing else), you'll be unable to make any drives further than about 100 miles from your home, unless you are sure you can recharge at your destination. That probably fine for commutes, but it eliminates your ability to take longer drives on the weekends. Like TK6 said, you will get at least 500 miles out of a tank in the PHEV (my experience has actually been 600-700 miles, figuring I can usually squeeze in about 6 overnight recharges during each tank of gas). And it only takes 2 minutes to refuel, versus hours for the EV.

The Niro EV is a fantastic option for people, but in my opinion you should still have another car with a fuel tank for when you need more miles. I think if all of my cars were EV, I'd be living with constant range anxiety, and feeling really limited in where I can go for weekend trips.

If your milegage stays under 25 miles/day typically, then one tank of gas could last you thousands, or even tens of thousands of miles in the PHEV. It would effectively be an EV, as it would almost never be using the gas engine.... but you'd have no range anxiety.

If/when EV cars have comparable range with HEV's someday, and 440V charging stations are everywhere (including rural areas), then I might consider having an EV as my only car... but until then, I would never consider buying an EV for anything besides a weekday/commuting-only car.
charlesH and Dovidan like this.

2018 PHEV

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 02-13-2019 at 01:57 PM.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 04:33 PM

We drive our PHEV daily almost exclusively using battery power. But when we make trips to Costco (1.5 hours one way), we can enjoy the trip knowing we have the ICE to get us there and back without any range anxiety or added time charging the car. I've read that more than 80 percent of BEV owners lease their vehicles because they're not into long-term ownership with a BEV. Leasing a vehicle was not a desirable option for us.

2018 Niro EX PHEV- Aurora Black Pearl/Charcoal
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Are you keeping the leaf, and adding the Niro? If so, bear in mind that if you only own 2 EV cars (and nothing else), you'll be unable to make any drives further than about 100 miles from your home, unless you are sure you can recharge at your destination.
That poster is buying a PHEV. No range limitation.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd888 View Post
My wife now has a Leaf, which she loves. We expect to get an EX EV. But her daily commute is 25 miles - perfect for the PHEV. ...We aren't in a hurry, and can wait for the EV.
In your present reality, The PHEV model would be a good deal for the buck. BUT, like you said, if our wife will retire soon, and you're not in a hurry, the EV will be the best choice for years.. no more gaz.! freedom!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK6 View Post
I don't know about the math, but I would look at it more for functionality. If she's only going to use the car for commuting and errands around town, the EV might be the way to go. But if you guys want to use the car for longer road-trips occasionally, the PHEV has the ability to go over 500 miles on a tank of gas and you can just fill up the tank and keep going without waiting to charge. Just my $.02.

Wow, the PHEV only gets 500 miles/tank? My 2017 EX HEV gets 525-540, and no plugging in as it's an HEV
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd888 View Post
Has anyone done the math? We will be looking at the Niro. My wife now has a Leaf, which she loves. We expect to get an EX EV. But her daily commute is 25 miles - perfect for the PHEV. I think I would be fine with either version.
It costs less, but has 1/3rd the rebate. And for weekend shopping, she prefers the freedom and capacity of my RX.
Other factors - I'm retired, and drive a regular car. So added mileage isn't a factor. We aren't in a hurry, and can wait for the EV.
She may be retired in a few years, and will drive less. (or yikes - more, with her free time!)

I haven't done the math. I love my PHEV. I drove it from Southern CA to Northern CA during the recent holidays: a trip that likely would have required the EV to stop and recharge at least twice in both directions I think. But since I've been back (since Jan 1), I've managed to do almost all of my traveling in full electric mode: the only time I ran the ICE was for a few minutes on one day when I needed some heat and defogging capability. It occurred to me today that I've spent all this time driving around in electric mode, with a battery that's admittedly kind of wimpy when compared to the acceleration that a lot of pure EVs enjoy, and that battery has had to carry not just me, but also the weight from a full tank of fuel and a stone cold ICE, that it wouldn't be challenged with if it had been designed as a pure EV. Of course, it would be carrying more battery weight, but still... for kind of driving I've been doing since Jan 1, an EV might have been superior.

I was a bit reluctant to take the plunge on the PHEV because the design is still pretty new. I took some comfort in thinking that some of the issues that early HEV owners had encountered might have been addressed in the subsequent release of the PHEV. But I may yet have occasion to regret buying in so early in this model's technology life cycle. I would have a similar concern about the first year's release of the EV. If you want the EV, and especially if you prefer to purchase rather than lease, you might do better to wait until year 2 (assuming that the rebates stick around and that various tariffs don't completely reconfigure the imported auto market to a significantly higher price point by then).

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddarrah View Post
Wow, the PHEV only gets 500 miles/tank? My 2017 EX HEV gets 525-540, and no plugging in as it's an HEV
Shure you do 525-540 miles, but how much are on EV mode in the HEV system ?

Last summer on my HEV, the most i did was 596 miles (960km) [875km HEV / 85km EV] but you question the PHEV that can do 500 miles (804km), but it's on gaz only.! but, how much more when you plug it!? ... When i did the trade of my HEV to a PHEV in december 2018, the first tank lasted 1056 miles / 96.5mpg (1700km / 2.4l/100km) .. but with the extra cold day's in the -25c of January, yes, i did less.! 484 miles 42.0mpg (780km / 5.6L/100km). It gives me an avg 68.4mpg (3.4L/100km) for both fuel up.! I think it's not just good, i think it's really good and i am a happy camper with it because it reflects my day to day reality.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:10 PM
TK6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddarrah View Post
I said "over 500 miles", not "exactly 500 miles". As you know, there are myriad variables when it comes to mileage. I didn't want to say 600 miles and have someone cry that they ran out of gas/battery on their trip up the Rocky Mountains at 80 mph in the dead of winter.
eddarrah likes this.

2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium
Silver with black interior

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page