Missing EV miles on PHEV - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Missing EV miles on PHEV

For PHEV owners.!
Does it happend that you "loose" some miles on the highway ? I have noticed this yesterday.

Ex: you leave and get on the express way.. You have 6 miles left on the EV gauge, riding in HEV mode, heat is on AUTO, cruise control, 65mph, for a 120 miles trip. After 30-45 minutes, you see that your 6 miles are all gone! but still on HEV mode.
Could it be that when cruising on, it could take some of the EV battery power for climb hills, too pass a car etc.. instead of stay still on the HEV battery ? Does it do that because i am driving at 65mph instead of 55 ?
Does others PHEV owners had seen the same thing?

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 11:09 PM

I've put my PHEV in HEV mode and observed the electric miles drop by a substantial amount when the car needed to "borrow" from the battery, such as when driving at high speed on mountain highways. But in my experience, the ICE always pays back what it borrows, given the opportunity. For example, maybe you have 16 miles of EV range and you put the car in HEV mode. I've observed that when driving on a flat highway around 70 oor 75 MPH, the EV range might drop to 13 or 14 miles and then several minutes later it might have increased to maybe 17 miles. It usually stays pretty close on a flat highway, but when climbing a mountain in HEV mode, I've lost more than 10 miles of electric range. On one occasion, that EV range came back later in my trip. On the other occasion, I had maybe 7 miles of EV range left when I reached the top of the mountain, I switched from HEV mode to EV mode, and was surprised that over the next 16 miles of flat driving (mostly at highway speed), my EV range didn't drop at all and still showed about 5 miles when I reached my destination (my recollection of the exact numbers might be slightly incorrect - this experience was a few months ago). I don't think the ICE was running after I switched back to EV and I've never understood what the explanation was for being able to drive so many more miles in EV mode than the EV range indicated I had available after I reached the top of the mountain.

But my impression is that in general, the car will borrow from the EV range when it needs power and the PHEV battery has power to spare, and then it will try to pay it back to whatever range you had when you manually switched to HEV mode when it has an opportunity to do that. It usually doesn't seem to charge beyond whatever the range was when I switched by more than one or two miles.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
For PHEV owners.!
Does it happend that you "loose" some miles on the highway ? I have noticed this yesterday.

Ex: you leave and get on the express way.. You have 6 miles left on the EV gauge, riding in HEV mode, heat is on AUTO, cruise control, 65mph, for a 120 miles trip. After 30-45 minutes, you see that your 6 miles are all gone! but still on HEV mode.
Could it be that when cruising on, it could take some of the EV battery power for climb hills, too pass a car etc.. instead of stay still on the HEV battery ? Does it do that because i am driving at 65mph instead of 55 ?
Does others PHEV owners had seen the same thing?
First off, there's only one traction battery, not separate PHEV and HEV ones. Getting to your question, it is possible to continue to drain the battery even in HEV mode, although the car will attempt to maintain the same level of charge. As you guessed, if you are climbing hills or driving pretty fast the car needs the extra power from the electric motor to get it done. Over time, of you are doing this consistently, it will draw the battery down. On average though, the car will try to keep the charge level wherever it was when you switched to HEV mode. If you leave the mode alone, the car will draw the battery down to 0 miles and then switch to HEV mode on its own.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
@deltasmith and @jmurphEV

thanks for the anwser! i just wanted to see if i was that much crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post
First off, there's only one traction battery, not separate PHEV and HEV ones.
I knew that, it was only a "mise en scene" of the situation i had observed on the week end!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 04:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
@deltasmith and @jmurphEV

thanks for the anwser! i just wanted to see if i was that much crazy.

I knew that, it was only a "mise en scene" of the situation i had observed on the week end!
Gotcha, it's just a question that has come up a few times around here. I agree that your description is an accurate portrayal of how the PHEV operates.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page