Niro Owner Wanna Be? - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Roadkill401
  • 1 Post By Beth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Niro Owner Wanna Be?

Hi, we have a 2010 Mazda CX-7 that has been virtually bullet proof for its life. I am very interested in a Niro EV Premium (2018 leftover) but have some reservations so I am looking for some help. The Niro is considerably smaller then the CX-7 which bothers the wife, I drive a Mini Cooper in the Summer and a Vibe in the Winter so it doesn't bother me. Question 1, how do owners like it on the highway? Is the engine buzzy/noisy at 70-73mph? I really dislike wind noise, the CX-7 windshield was replaced twice and the car was never quiet again, just very annoying so was wondering if that is observed. Question 2, the 16" wheels sound pretty small to me, my daughters Mazda 3 has 18" wheels, I think something like that would have been nice on the Niro. I have found a 2018 leftover about 100 miles away that has been price reduced so we probably don't have a lot of time to decide. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 08:46 AM

EX premium perhaps?

Quietest car I've ever owned, but not luxury car quiet. It has a windshield with sound deadening built in, as your CX-7 may have had OEM - but your replacements may not have had. It has a very tall final ratio so buzzing should be minimal, I've never noticed any but I never exceed 70 mph.

The smaller wheels will be quieter, more comfortable, and get significantly better mpg. Your choice.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 09:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNR75 View Post
Hi, we have a 2010 Mazda CX-7 that has been virtually bullet proof for its life. I am very interested in a Niro EV Premium (2018 leftover) but have some reservations so I am looking for some help. The Niro is considerably smaller then the CX-7 which bothers the wife, I drive a Mini Cooper in the Summer and a Vibe in the Winter so it doesn't bother me. Question 1, how do owners like it on the highway? Is the engine buzzy/noisy at 70-73mph? I really dislike wind noise, the CX-7 windshield was replaced twice and the car was never quiet again, just very annoying so was wondering if that is observed. Question 2, the 16" wheels sound pretty small to me, my daughters Mazda 3 has 18" wheels, I think something like that would have been nice on the Niro. I have found a 2018 leftover about 100 miles away that has been price reduced so we probably don't have a lot of time to decide. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!
EX Premium PHEV owner here. Wind noise is pretty minimal at all speeds. In HEV mode on the highway the engine is pretty quiet. At steady speed you won't even notice it at all. The only time it gets buzzy is when you need to accelerate to pass on the highway or going up a long grad where the tranny needs to drop a gear. When it does rev, the motor is pretty harsh sounding, but mostly that's in comparison to the lack of noise the rest of the time.

I think the occasional noise is worth it given the efficiency and comfort of the car overall, but if that sort of thing really bugs you, you will notice it.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

What car manufacturers really love to do is put on bigger and bigger rims, but to compensate, use a smaller profile tire. I remember my Ford Explorer that was a serious off road ready vehile only had 15" rims. Yet it also had 75 profile tires. compared to lots of cars that I have seen with 18" rims and 40 profile, so it is a really large rim with virtually no tire wrapped around it.
FlNiro likes this.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the inputs forum members, it is appreciated!! I am still in the talking the wife into it stage,LOL.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:00 PM

I just drove from Los Angeles to Tucson in my PHEV premium. Speed limit is 70-75 the whole way, with drivers going 80ish most of the time. I was on gas engine and didn't feel noise was bad. MPG was about 45.
Dovidan likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for response Beth!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page