Worth fixing small glass crack? - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Worth fixing small glass crack?

Not Niro specific but thought you guys may have an opinion...

A few weeks ago a rock hit my windshield and made a pretty good cracking sound, the actual crack isn’t too bad though - a couple small chips and small cracks about an inch long (picture attached - that’s a quarter for reference).

I’m debating whether it’s worth spending ~$100+ to get it treated to avoid spreading later on. I do hope to have the car another decade and if there’s a risk of becoming a bigger issue I’m fine being proactive.

Or should I just let it go for now and keep an eye on it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DD4B7FB3-7C68-4883-921F-DF9945924ED5_1551104944010.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	4667  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

I would be surprised if your auto insurance wouldnt cover that cost. i know that a small chip expand quite rapidly, so you are playing with fire if you don't get them fixed. if it is actually cracking lines going out, then it might be too late as a chip can be fixed, but an actual crack is a break in the intergrity of the glass.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

I asked my insurance. It would be subject to the $500 comprehensive deductible which is more than the cost of the repair so I’d just pay out of pocket.

So that’s one vote to fix it now I see... others agree? Disagree?
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post
I asked my insurance. It would be subject to the $500 comprehensive deductible which is more than the cost of the repair so Iíd just pay out of pocket.

So thatís one vote to fix it now I see... others agree? Disagree?
I'd fix it as soon as you can. That crack will most likely spread and once it hits an edge you can't repair it.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:47 PM

Just get a chip repair kit I think I've used a rain x one like $10 and it helps hide the chip and simple to do.

https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-600001...s%2C175&sr=8-3
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:39 PM

If this is the Niro, it is Niro specific. A new OEM windshield runs $700 (you can get cheaper without the sound proofing) and if the cameras need recalibrating after replacement that is about another $1,500! Your money.

I would also pay the experts to do it. They have to remove the stress risers before sealing it. $100 sounds high, but again it is your money and that is better than the alternative. Your insurance is not going to cover camera recalibration.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:28 PM

I'd run to have it repaired while it is possible...

last summer I had an impact on windscreen, by the time i went to the apointment to have it repaired the crack was spread across the windshield and they had to change it.

The crack progresses fast with temperature changes.
so if you wait too much the cost will be multiplied by at least 10...

your choice
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:47 PM

When it's a perfectly circular "bulls-eye" kind of chip, it might be stable indefinitely, or not. But yours has tendrils and that kind almost always travels into something that's too big to repair. My understanding is that if you repair it before it gets bigger, you can save yourself a lot of grief. I would have it repaired soon, and avoid subjecting the car to unnecessary vibrations in the meantime (avoid dirt roads, pot holes, or anything else that might make it travel into a larger crack).

These guys repaired my Honda windshield last summer: https://www.safelite.com/about-safelite. The local franchise dispatched a technician to my driveway and he was done in less than half an hour. My cost was $75, due to an arrangement between my insurance company (State Farm) and safelite. My insurance didn't actually pay, but I was led to believe that I was getting a discount (still wondering if maybe I could have gotten the same price without the insurance being involved). 12 years ago the same insurance company paid for the whole thing under the "comprehensive" coverage which has a different deductible (different policy and different car and different era). I don't have an informed opinion on the amazon alternative that jaxterra suggested, but I've seen people who make this kind of repair use some hardware that is going to cost a bit more than the $12 price (I see that hardware on amazon for $121, but I doubt that it should cost that much). So maybe read the Amazon reviews and reach your own conclusion about whether it's a DIY job or a safelite kind of job (or a job for their competition).

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 05:32 AM

as for the "do it yourself" kit, keep in mind that it works like the others, by pushing resin inside the crack... this needs to push the resin strong on a very localised zone that can (even for the pros but they have more experience than a first-timer therefore the controle maybe better on the pressure they apply) lead to a bigger crack not repairable...
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:52 AM

Also check if there is a NOVUS repair place by you. NOVUS has been around for a long time although not in all areas. They use an ultraviolet light to cure the resin. Not sure if it's a marketing gimmick or if the ultraviolet light really what makes them different but long time ago I had them fix several windshields and it lasted and you could hardly tell it was cracked.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page