Disappointed - Kia Niro Forum
 8Likes
  • 6 Post By Roadkill401
  • 1 Post By FlNiro
  • 1 Post By Roadkill401

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Disappointed

I was on a four lane divided road yesterday that was going down to two lane road. I was in the left lane at about 32 mph. The right lane became a lane to get on the Interstate. About 30 in front of me, a car decides he is in the wrong lane and starts to pull into my lane at an acute angle. Fortunately, the road was wide enough, and he was going slow enough, that I was able to avoid him by swerving to the left as there was not enough room to stop. However, what really concerned me is that my Niro did absolutely nothing not a beep nor a brake application. EX Premium PHEV which has all the available driving aids. Radar cruise was active with distance set at max.
I have seen several YouTube videos where the Tesla had taken action and avoided a collision in a similar circumstance. I am really disappointed in the Niro. Had my wife been driving, we would have been in an accident.
The NHTSA and IIHS really need quantitative testing of driver aid features with numerous scenarios at various speeds so we can not only know the limitations of our vehicles but also allow us to make a better choice when we buy a car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookrd1 View Post
I was on a four lane divided road yesterday that was going down to two lane road. I was in the left lane at about 32 mph. The right lane became a lane to get on the Interstate. About 30 in front of me, a car decides he is in the wrong lane and starts to pull into my lane at an acute angle. Fortunately, the road was wide enough, and he was going slow enough, that I was able to avoid him by swerving to the left as there was not enough room to stop. However, what really concerned me is that my Niro did absolutely nothing not a beep nor a brake application. EX Premium PHEV which has all the available driving aids. Radar cruise was active with distance set at max.
I have seen several YouTube videos where the Tesla had taken action and avoided a collision in a similar circumstance. I am really disappointed in the Niro. Had my wife been driving, we would have been in an accident.
The NHTSA and IIHS really need quantitative testing of driver aid features with numerous scenarios at various speeds so we can not only know the limitations of our vehicles but also allow us to make a better choice when we buy a car.

Let's face it: the Niro isn't trying to compete with Tesla. Instead, it seems to me that it's positioned as a "Prius alternative". And I think Kia did a pretty good job meeting that goal. That's what I was looking for when I first heard about the Niro, and that's why I bought one.

I recently had an opportunity to ride as a passenger in someone's Tesla Model 3. We didn't have any occasions to experience collision avoidance, but what I could see of the tech package was impressive: certainly better than what the Niro provides. But it comes at a higher cost, and with some other possible detractors that I won't go into.

Someone has actually filed a complaint with the NHTSA that their Niro's tech package didn't prevent a collision. But if you read the section in chapter 6 on AEB, it's pretty clear that Kia set the bar pretty low for their expectations of how AEB would work. There are lots of disclaimers and admonitions that its ultimately the driver's responsibility to drive safely. There's even a statement that "The AEB cannot avoid all collisions". The manual also indicates that it disengages if you sharply depress the brake pedal or abruptly turn the steering wheel. So in your particular experience, perhaps it would have activated if it hadn't sensed that you were already responding: you probably did a better job at avoiding the collision than it would have been able to do, and I think that's why they designed it to disengage if it senses that the driver is responding. My impression is that the Niro's AEB technology is better than what I had in my previous car (better than nothing), but it's probably most likely to reduce the degree of damage and injury in a collision, rather than completely avoid one.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasmith View Post
...snip...

Someone has actually filed a complaint with the NHTSA that their Niro's tech package didn't prevent a collision. But if you read the section in chapter 6 on AEB, it's pretty clear that Kia set the bar pretty low for their expectations of how AEB would work. There are lots of disclaimers and admonitions that its ultimately the driver's responsibility to drive safely. There's even a statement that "The AEB cannot avoid all collisions". The manual also indicates that it disengages if you sharply depress the brake pedal or abruptly turn the steering wheel. So in your particular experience, perhaps it would have activated if it hadn't sensed that you were already responding: you probably did a better job at avoiding the collision than it would have been able to do, and I think that's why they designed it to disengage if it senses that the driver is responding. My impression is that the Niro's AEB technology is better than what I had in my previous car (better than nothing), but it's probably most likely to reduce the degree of damage and injury in a collision, rather than completely avoid one.

This. A couple of times my Niro has hit the brakes in order to avoid collision - and it happens surprisingly late. Most of the time the driver will be working on it already.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 07:51 PM

i find that neither my niro or subaru does well in avoiding traffic merging from the right. i expect its because they can see a car in front well but need more than the left front fender of a merging car to brake. i thus avoid traveling in the right most lane and without the acc if i do.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

I see the sadder side that there are way too many people that fail to want to use the most powerful safety feature installed in the car. it is located behind the steering wheel and between two ears. It's called the drivers BRAIN. When the driver stops using that feature and starts to think that the car should be taking responsabibility to do the job of actually paying attention to what is around them and actually driving the car, then they should consider handing up the driving gloves and asking their doctor to take away their drivers license. These are safety features of last resord, not as they are being advertised as on TV by marketing A-Holes as look what our car can do so you don't need to bother.
lafe005, FlNiro, TK6 and 3 others like this.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:17 PM

Roadkill401 I give you a toast. I'm not sure the original intent of the first post was a defense of these so called safety features, just the person asking a question but I pretty much totally agree with what you said. After all who gets the driver's license...The car or the person behind the wheel?

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:56 AM

Roadkill, i disagree with both your point as well as your tone. OP is not stating he wants the car to take responsibility. But that he's disappointed it didn't appear to help avoid an accident. I can picture you 70 years ago mocking folks for wearing seatbelts when they wouldn't have to if they just "used their brains"...

Think of these features like a second seatbelt and keep the dialog constructive...

2018 Niro LX PHEV
2019 Pacifica PHEV
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dots View Post
Roadkill, i disagree with both your point as well as your tone. OP is not stating he wants the car to take responsibility. But that he's disappointed it didn't appear to help avoid an accident. I can picture you 70 years ago mocking folks for wearing seatbelts when they wouldn't have to if they just "used their brains"...

Think of these features like a second seatbelt and keep the dialog constructive...

The problem is not at all like your portraying it. The seatbelt is there to help minimize the effect of an accident, just like airbags. But they are not there to eliminate any injury if you get into one.

My comment is more directed to the way that these safety features are being promoted and the expectation being taken by the public (or more to point the owners of these vehicles). The auto-breaking and lane departure, along with blind spot detection or any number of features are just tools to help the driver minimize the chance or effect of an accident, not to eliminate.

There is an advert that is run here I see all the time for Hyundai, where there is a kid getting his first bike and the parents give him a red ribbon to put on the handlebars saying it will help him ride faster. It shows him riding races and going really fast. At the end, if shows a small kid about to open the back door on the driver's side and it doesn't open and you see the cyclist ride by.

a) Unless you watch carefully you would miss that the cyclist is following closely behind a car that actually activates the door lock system as a bicycle by itself would not.

b) The system wouldn't react if a car changed lanes beside the parked car rather than coming up behind, nor if the car is a bit further back so you would be in the middle.of swinging the door open as the car will be passing, so the lock system itself is not infallible in all situations.
c) Show the totally wrong message that you need to check your blind spots when opening doors as it is your responsibility not the cars.

I was not commenting or being pissy towards the OP. Just more grumpy old fart towards the general direction or attitude that seems to be growing within the population. Perhaps it is just that media just shows us the idiots who simply want to pass blame onto everyone else for the stuff they did wrong.
lafe005 likes this.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page