PHEV battery range question! - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
PHEV battery range question!

Hi,
I got some info that Europeen PHEV Niro's has a full charge of 35 miles (58km) instead of our 26 miles (42km) for US and Canada. both model's has the same 8.9 KWh battery etc..etc..!
Is there a conversion for Europeen miles to US miles ??

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:43 PM

The real question is the conversion from NCAP to EPA. NCAP is wildly optimistic for both mpg (local equivalents) and EV range. There is only one mile.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:58 PM

The reason for this discrepancy is two-fold: The US EPA rated the Niro’s EV range in Nautical miles, rather than Statute miles or International Miles, and when running in Nautical Mode, the Niro is less efficient than it is in Europe where Nautical Mode isn’t a supported option.

You should take a look at chapter 10 of the owner’s manual, which describes how to find Nautical Mode under the User Settings menu on the instrument cluster. If you haven’t tried this yet, you really should, because it’s a hoot. You drive across the beach and into about six inches of water, and then you switch into Nautical Mode. Pontoons pop out of the fender wells and a paddle wheel pops out from under the rear bumper. This is not recommended for ocean faring (due to salt water corrosion concerns) but it’s a great way to get across a lake.

Your question inspired me to look into the question of how universal the “mile” is. Wikipedia has a rather interesting discussion on this topic. Aside from being slightly mistaken about the idea that there is only one mile, I suspect that you’ll get better “mileage” from yticolev’s response than you will from mine.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasmith View Post
The reason for this discrepancy is two-fold: The US EPA rated the Niro’s EV range in Nautical miles, rather than Statute miles or International Miles, and when running in Nautical Mode, the Niro is less efficient than it is in Europe where Nautical Mode isn’t a supported option.

You should take a look at chapter 10 of the owner’s manual, which describes how to find Nautical Mode under the User Settings menu on the instrument cluster. If you haven’t tried this yet, you really should, because it’s a hoot. You drive across the beach and into about six inches of water, and then you switch into Nautical Mode. Pontoons pop out of the fender wells and a paddle wheel pops out from under the rear bumper. This is not recommended for ocean faring (due to salt water corrosion concerns) but it’s a great way to get across a lake..
That would be soooo great to have.. a Niro "wet nellie"...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LotusEsprit_01_700.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	4723  

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
But i still cannot understand that Europeen PHEV Niro has a full charge of 35 miles (58km) instead of our 26 miles (42km) for US and Canada even with the same 8.9 KWh battery.

- Sweden
- France
- Germany
- UK
etc..

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasmith View Post
Your question inspired me to look into the question of how universal the “mile” is. Wikipedia has a rather interesting discussion on this topic. Aside from being slightly mistaken about the idea that there is only one mile, I suspect that you’ll get better “mileage” from yticolev’s response than you will from mine.
Funny post about nautical miles! I stand corrected on the standard mile, it apparently does vary by a few hundredths of a meter (funny how they mixed up the units) at certain points in time. All the other "mile" definitions have other titles, like "London mile", or "nautical mile".
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
But i still cannot understand that Europeen PHEV Niro has a full charge of 35 miles (58km) instead of our 26 miles (42km) for US and Canada even with the same 8.9 KWh battery.
Same battery, same conditions, same distance traveled. Different country, different government body, different testing regimen, different range estimate. If you are willing to go 15 mph, you too can achieve 35 miles or even more!

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Same battery, same conditions, same distance traveled. Different country, different government body, different testing regimen, different range estimate. If you are willing to go 15 mph, you too can achieve 35 miles or even more!
Dear Doctor Velocity, when you are saying that "same distance traveled"....

Are you saying that a 35 miles range is the same as a 26 miles range ?? ... So that means that our PHEV over here in the USA and Canada, will go faster then a PHEV in the UK ??

or unless in Europe, they all do drive at 15MPH..

Seriously, you're applying that in Europe, they change the "range" estimate to give more autonomy on their vehicule.!? do you have facts for this ?

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

With your PHEV, do you check the odometer to make sure that you are getting your exact 26 miles each time? Heck, the HEV that I have, why does it count down the KM remaining when I am driving around in EV mode as the battery is close to full charge and the engine it turned off. The distance remaining is just a software trick as I don't know how it knows how to calibrate itself. all I can do is take the difference between the odomiter readings each fill up and look how much gas went into the tank and do the math. Sometimes the number is way off.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
With your PHEV, do you check the odometer to make sure that you are getting your exact 26 miles each time?
No... It's not about a odometer calculation, but it's more when you leave the house after a full charge, it says 42km (26 miles) .. but on the specs sheet on the same model in Germany, it says 58km on a full charge and 35 miles on a UK model.

So why 2 standards on the same model. Some PHEV contacts owners that i talk too in Europe does think the same thing as me.! Same battery, same system.. 42km is 42km and 58km is 58... It's like the "Caramilk" secret.! wheres the catch?

Last edited by lafe005; 03-07-2019 at 03:37 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
No... It's not about a odometer calculation, but it's more when you leave the house after a full charge, it says 42km (26 miles) .. but on the specs sheet on the same model in Germany, it says 58km on a full charge and 35 miles on a UK model.

So why 2 standards on the same model. Some PHEV contacts owners that i talk too in Europe does think the same thing as me.! Same battery, same system.. 42km is 42km and 58km is 58... It's like the "Caramilk" secret.! wheres the catch?
I

I am sure if you wanted, KIA could make you car say you will get 60km per charge. ****, go for broke and lets put in 123km. its a beautiful number and it will have ZERO to do with reality. The truith is that the number it says on the screen has ZERO to do with the ACTUAL DISTANCE that the car can and will do before the battery is depleated to the point that the ICE must kick in and the PHEV runs like it was an HEV. Why does the Niro in Europe get far better MPG? are they not the same engine and same battery packs? same transmission? Or is it because Europe has a different set of critera to testing a vehicle than they do in North America. And wouldn't that also directly impact the number you get for your battery?

So, YES it is totaly all about looking at your Odometer and seeing what distance you are actually getting and nothing about this magical number that is put on the screen.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page