Too many miles in one year? - Kia Niro Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Too many miles in one year?

I just purchased a 2018 niro hybrid lx yesterday from a Kia dealer.

It looks great, test drive was good (although I have never driven a hybrid before, so best I could tell)

My only concerns were:
1. It was used as a rental until now.
2. It has 16720 miles on it in about 10 months of usage.
3. Dealer did do an exhaustive inspection checklist but did not certify it for some reason. Carfax was clean and services were done though.

Is it possible that rental usage for 16720 miles in 10 months might have been too much or too rash and so I might never get the best performance and efficiency? The engine/tranny might have suffered more than usual wear?

Or am I stupid in thinking so? I drive about 10-12k miles a year generally so 17k sounds a lot to me.

What could I do to get some confidence in my (already complete) purchase?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikhanshu View Post
It was used as a rental until now.
Was it a customers rental for dealer services or for a major rental company (Tilden, AVIS etc..) ?

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 10:10 PM

The mileage by itself is not a concern, at least if it was a single owner. Let's face it, rental cars are abused. There is no reason for renters to treat the car like they are owners. Some treat the cars OK, others drive it like they stole it. There is a reason rental companies sell the car after one year. You might be fine, you might not be. Personally, I'd be somewhat OK with a used rental car... for the right price.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 08:53 AM

I'm not 100% sure but I believe if a car is used for commercial purposes it dis-qualifies it from being certified. I bet that's the reason the dealer didn't certify it.....A bargaining chip to get the dealer to throw in an extended warranty equal to what you would have gotten if the car was certified.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
Was it a customers rental for dealer services or for a major rental company (Tilden, AVIS etc..) ?
Major rental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlNiro View Post
I'm not 100% sure but I believe if a car is used for commercial purposes it dis-qualifies it from being certified. I bet that's the reason the dealer didn't certify it.....A bargaining chip to get the dealer to throw in an extended warranty equal to what you would have gotten if the car was certified.
Checked latest Kia warranty manual. Only original owner gets extended powertrain 10/100k warranty. Subsequent owners and rentals don't. So I don't lose anything warranty-wise.

I got this for $18500 + tax/fees. Couldn't find anything better anywhere. Hope that's a good price?

Also, Is there some kind of "how rough it was driven" test I could get done?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Also, Is there some kind of "how rough it was driven" test I could get done?
how about on oil analysys to see if the engine is in good state or not?
the good points: whaterver the way it is driven the clutch should not be affected nor the electric motor.
Shikhanshu likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=Shikhanshu;69237]Major rental.

"Checked latest Kia warranty manual. Only original owner gets extended powertrain 10/100k warranty. Subsequent owners and rentals don't. So I don't lose anything warranty-wise."

Your statement about not losing anything warranty-wise doesn't make sense to me . I'm quite sure you will not have any warranty after 5yrs / 50K. That's still a fairly long time, but certainly not 10/100K!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 06:58 PM

[quote=Dovidan;69249]
Quote:
Major rental.

"Checked latest Kia warranty manual. Only original owner gets extended powertrain 10/100k warranty. Subsequent owners and rentals don't. So I don't lose anything warranty-wise."

Your statement about not losing anything warranty-wise doesn't make sense to me . I'm quite sure you will not have any warranty after 5yrs / 50K. That's still a fairly long time, but certainly not 10/100K!

I think his point is that he gets the same warranty as any second owner, regardless of whether or not it was a rental in its former life.
Dovidan and Shikhanshu like this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:36 PM

Garage
17K? That took 4 months for me to cross. 17k is nowhere near a lot of miles.
Shikhanshu likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:22 AM

17k isn't much: just look at what Gbillyg123 has for mileage.

I think you probably got a pretty good deal. The Niro is so new, that I doubt if any of the major rental companies are using it, so hard to guess what kind of a lease owned it before you. But most individuals who lease a car and have been through that experience at least once before have learned that they need to treat the car respectfully while they are leasing it, or they'll regret it when they turn it in. So hopefully your car was previously used by someone who is a serial leaser.

One thing you could do to address your doubts: look underneath. Rental companies look for obvious body damage, but never seem to look underneath. Not sure what sort of a checkup a lease gets when it's turned in. You might see some scuff marks on the panel under the front bumper, and that's kind of to be expected. If that's all you see, and if it's minor scuffs, I think you should feel pretty confident about your purchase, assuming you already checked more obvious areas of potential concern.

One thing you might want to do is run the tank low on fuel and then fill it with Chevron regular grade gasoline. It costs more, but it has cleaning agents in the fuel that can sometimes compensate for deposits left in the fuel system by less expensive brands of gasoline. I'm not aware of any reason why you should pay for premium instead of regular though - don't succumb to that old fallacy that it's worth paying extra for premium (higher octane) when your engine is not designed or tuned to either need or benefit from it. You might also ask the dealer that sold it to you to confirm that it was current on any service advisories from Kia.

It does seem strange that Kia wouldn't certify it, but I don't have a lot of experience with this and maybe rentals are disqualifying from the manufacturer's perspective, I don't know.

You probably got a really good deal, hope you love your new car. Welcome to the forum!
Dovidan and Shikhanshu like this.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page