extreme cold weather - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

extreme cold weather

I'm looking at buying a Niro. I understand that, like any vehicle, I'll get worse mpg in the winter and that doesn't bother me, but I'm new to the hybrid concept and the cold temps concern me: this past year I about 3 weeks where the overnight lows hit -40. I don't have a garage to put the car in. Am I going to run into problems with the battery at these temps and exposure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:20 AM

As much as I love my Niro I don't think I'd buy any hybrid or electric car if you have that low temps. to deal with. At least not yet.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopercc View Post
I'm looking at buying a Niro. I understand that, like any vehicle, I'll get worse mpg in the winter and that doesn't bother me, but I'm new to the hybrid concept and the cold temps concern me: this past year I about 3 weeks where the overnight lows hit -40. I don't have a garage to put the car in. Am I going to run into problems with the battery at these temps and exposure?
Hi Yoopercc, i have a 2019 PHEV and my Canadian cold winter had not a big impact on the MPG of the car. True the MPG goes down, but not as dramatically if you compare to a normal crossover or small suv car. With no garage too, the more i recharged the car, the more high MPG was made.!

Are you looking for an HEV or PHEV model ? and where are you from ?

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lafe005; 03-19-2019 at 10:51 AM.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Hey Canadian Guy
I'm looking at the HEV. I live in Upper Michigan, just south of Lake Superior. The PHEV interests me, but there aren't yet enough places I can plug in where I am.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Hey Canadian Guy
I'm looking at the HEV. I live in Upper Michigan, just south of Lake Superior. The PHEV interests me, but there aren't yet enough places I can plug in where I am.
Great.! I remember riding the upper Michigan crossing the Sault-St-Marie border and up to Ironwood in direction of Calgary in the Ninenies..

I Had an HEV for 5 months (may to december 18) before my PHEV. Really love both models. On the HEV last summer i could go from 71 too 52 miles per gallon and nearly 600 miles (960km) on one tank.
The best thing is to go and make a test drive.!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
Great.! I remember riding the upper Michigan crossing the Sault-St-Marie border and up to Ironwood in direction of Calgary in the Ninenies..

I Had an HEV for 5 months (may to december 18) before my PHEV. Really love both models. On the HEV last summer i could go from 71 too 52 miles per gallon and nearly 600 miles (960km) on one tank.
The best thing is to go and make a test drive.!
You drove through and you didn't fall in love with the place enough stay???

I've already done a test drive. It's just a matter of trying to make it work with my finances and second guessing myself while that happens.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 04:58 AM

No Start Issue - Frigid Mornings

Quote:
Do a search on celticmg in this forum and you will find the issues I experienced and others with the 2019 HEV Niro and extreme cold weather.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticmg View Post
Do a search on celticmg in this forum and you will find the issues I experienced and others with the 2019 HEV Niro and extreme cold weather.
Thanks. From what I could tell from reading through your post a handful of people are having problems with the cold while at least one or two said they weren't having any issues at all. I wonder how widespread the issue is? I'm almost 3 hours from the nearest dealer which could be problematic if I end up with something that needs Kia Certified work. On the other hand, if they're good for it and provide me a loaner it's all on them.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Celticmg. The issue you had was likely not a design flaw but a manufacturing issue where parts were assembled with enough variance in tolerance to cause a failure at the extreme. Think of it like two overly simplified cases..you can have a rod and a hole. As it would be simply too expensive to machine everything to exact +/- 0.000 tolerances, you make the hole on the + side and the rod on the - side then the two of them will always fit. The problem comes when the hole is at the top end of the + side and the rod is at the bottom end of the - side, the two will fit but they will be rather sloppy.

Now think of this with a set of electronics. You can have a whole load of parts that are all within their individual tolerance, but when combined, the resulting circuits are enough out of whack to have issues when they are pushed to the extreme. So a battery circuit board that might test fine, and work perfectly fine in California and Florida, might fail in Upper Michigan when it gets really cold. The exact same part design except with a different set of components with better-matched tolerances will work perfectly fine. It's like me saying that since my iMac is a bit of a lemon and seems to get quite a few issues, that ALL iMac or even all mac products, in general, must be bad or at least won't work in Canada. That would be a vast jump.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:14 AM

Had a day of driving at minus 10 Fahrenheit. Mileage dropped to high 30s. No issues with driveability, but my garage was considerably warmer at around freezing.
yoopercc likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page