Blind spot detection/Lane change assist/Rear cross traffic alert - Not on LX trim? - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Blind spot detection/Lane change assist/Rear cross traffic alert - Not on LX trim?

Good day,

Welcome Spring season. I have combed through the Kia Niro Hybrid 2019 specifications (from the media site) in detail a couple of times, and in my understanding:

1) The LX trim does not offer:

Blind Spot Detection System (BSD)
Lane Change Assist (LCA)
Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)

even with the LX Advanced Technology package?

If I am understanding correctly, the only way to get those features (via Kia, not aftermarket) is to get the EX trim or higher?

Additionally, if I understand the specifications correctly, both the LX and EX trim have full LED exterior lights? e.g. headlights (high and low beam), daytime running lights, rear stop lights, etc.

Thank you
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:35 PM

I don't believe my headlights are completely led. Otherwise, my 2019 EX fits your description exactly. I got the Advanced Technology package and absolutely love the smart cruise control. I have been driving it for four months and still love it.

2019 EX with Advanced Tech in Northern California
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbond View Post
if I understand the specifications correctly, both the LX and EX trim have full LED exterior lights? e.g. headlights (high and low beam), daytime running lights, rear stop lights, etc.
Hi James, please be carefull with the specs.. on the 2019 HEV (hybrid) model, there are no LED headlights for low and hi beam..The rest of the exterior lights, yes (except the fog lights).. BUT, the only way to get those LED headlights, is on only on the EX Premium PHEV and EV trim and model.
TK6 likes this.

The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (4750 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
...The rest of the exterior lights, yes (except the fog lights).. BUT, the only way to get those LED headlights, is on only on the EX Premium PHEV and EV trim and model.
In addition, even on the EX Premium PHEV the rear turn signals and reverse lights are regular incandescent bulbs, not LEDs. It's weird how some are and some aren't. I'm thinking about swapping them out someday. I know someone on here swapped the reverse lights to LEDs for more brightness.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post
In addition, even on the EX Premium PHEV the rear turn signals and reverse lights are regular incandescent bulbs, not LEDs.
My bad, forgot those one!

The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (4750 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:30 PM

What about the rear brake & taillights? I've been behind several Niros at stoplight and the tails & brake lights are blindingly bright!!! Seems like they must be LEDs
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
What about the rear brake & taillights? I've been behind several Niros at stoplight and the tails & brake lights are blindingly bright!!! Seems like they must be LEDs
Yep, those are LEDs. As far as I know aside from the headlights, which vary by model, the only exterior lights that are not LED are the fogs, the rear turn signals, and the reverse lights.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Good evening,

Just to clarify, I am looking at the Kia Niro Hybrid vehicle, i.e. the one that runs on battery and gas.

So, if I understand right, the Kia Niro Hybrid LX trim, even with the Advanced technology package does not offer Blind Spot Detection System (BSD)
Lane Change Assist (LCA), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), only the LX trim does.

and

If I go with the EX advanced technology package, then I get the forward collision warning, braking with pedestrian detection etc. but ONLY PARTIAL led front and rear lights?

Thank you
James
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbond View Post
Good evening,

Just to clarify, I am looking at the Kia Niro Hybrid vehicle, i.e. the one that runs on battery and gas.

So, if I understand right, the Kia Niro Hybrid LX trim, even with the Advanced technology package does not offer Blind Spot Detection System (BSD)
Lane Change Assist (LCA), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), only the LX trim does.

and

If I go with the EX advanced technology package, then I get the forward collision warning, braking with pedestrian detection etc. but ONLY PARTIAL led front and rear lights?

Thank you
James
I think you meant to say (as you did earlier) that the LX even with the Advanced technology package does not offer Blind Spot Detection System (BSD) Lane Change Assist (LCA), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), only the ***EX*** trim does.

I really wanted the BSD and was a bit annoyed that I couldn't get an LX that way. I ended up spending the extra dough for an EX w/advanced tech, which including some more features I wasn't going after (Toyota does better with making safety features avail across full lines). And no one local had the EX in the color I wanted (the blue seems to be mostly an LX thing). So mine came from 200+ miles away. Def enjoying it so far.

The headlights are not LED. I may eventually change the headlights to LED on my own, but an initial look makes it seem like the reputable companies have stopped selling bulbs for some reason. Maybe the car makers or Feds stepped in.

Drew
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

The headlights are not LED. I may eventually change the headlights to LED on my own, but an initial look makes it seem like the reputable companies have stopped selling bulbs for some reason. Maybe the car makers or Feds stepped in.

Drew[/QUOTE]

Hello @Drewsel I appreciate your comments, thank you.

I am unclear about your comment about 'reputable companies have stopped selling bulbs', does that mean that LED lights from the Niro are not available from major brands such as Philips, Sylvania and other OEM or comparable brands?

Thank you
James

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page