Sleeping in NIRO (6'3" tall man) - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Sleeping in NIRO (6'3" tall man)

I want to buy a NIRO, but I want to ensure I can sleep in it okay. Going to do a 60 day roadtrip.

Are the rear seats and passenger seat removable? If so, I feel I rig something up to have atleast 6.5' of length to sleep on?

Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this. Really excited for this, just want to make sure this can be done.

Thanks all!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:09 AM

Just spent a week away from home sleeping in the car! First thing I did after purchase was remove the rear seats. Posted a thread with pictures but the search function is really bad - couldn't find it. Replaced the rear seats and the load area with a carpeted plywood sheet, hinged to access the battery and extra storage space.

I'm 5' 10" and with front seat all the way forward there is just enough room to lie fully stretched out with my 6' mattress. Bit more room diagonal even with my bicycle in the car (upright). But I'm usually sleeping on my side with knees bent. If you can sleep like that comfortably, you will do OK.

My prior car a PT Cruiser had fold down front passenger seat that created even more room. My career involved three month gigs away from home so I bought the car specifically for that. Plastic storage boxes in the rear matched the fold down front seat height creating an eight foot stretch to put my mattress on. I've considered finding someone who could modify the front Niro seat, but I'm not working much anymore (semi-retired) so I haven't gotten around to it.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall Lyons View Post
I want to buy a NIRO, but I want to ensure I can sleep in it okay. Going to do a 60 day roadtrip.

Are the rear seats and passenger seat removable? If so, I feel I rig something up to have atleast 6.5' of length to sleep on?

Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this. Really excited for this, just want to make sure this can be done.

Thanks all!!!
I have slept in the car overnight at rest stops on longer road trips. I'm 5 10 and I had no problem.

One nice advantage of the PHEV is the you can use battery to run the HVAC all night. Avoid bugs, heat and humidity.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:44 PM

HEV will also do AC all night.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
without the ice running?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
how many hrs can you run a.c. on 1.6Kwhr battery?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall Lyons View Post

Thanks all!!!
I'm 6'4" (on a low-gravity day :-), maybe 6'3" and a half when I'm feeling "down" ). When shopping for a car in recent years, I've noticed that the cars with electrically adjustable seats are more accommodating for tall people, because you can tilt the seat in a way to better support long legs.

I find my Niro EX Premium to be reasonably comfortable for driving long distances. I haven't tried to sleep in it but if I did want to do that, I might be tempted to sleep in the driver's seat.

In a previous comment, yticolev mentioned that he had posted his mods on this forum but couldn't find them when responding to you. I think I recall the posting he was thinking of, I think it's probably this one. He's pretty hard core (he even removed his passenger side mirror to help fuel economy), but there are some nice ideas and photos in his post if you are thinking of turning your Niro into a more accommodating setup for sleeping.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the link!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
Quote:
without the ice running?

I get to work, sometimes, an hour early. When the weather is hot I’ll sit in the car with the A/C on. The ICE will start up about once every about 30 minutes when doing this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:32 PM

sleeping in vehicle

On my 2017 HEV I have removed the rearseats, build a flat floor from 0.5 inch plywood.
Split the spare tire covering area inhalf for easier removal.
In the area just behind the battery Imade two access door for storage: e.g. tire chains fit inside(Laclede 1034 for the 16 inch wheels). The cross member above therear axle is covered with ¼ inch plywood to provide flush fit.
The plywood floor is covered with foam“joga mats” cut to fit and to provide acoustic insulation.
With the front seat in the mostforward position the flat floor will accommodate two 20x72 inchessleeping mats. The gap between the front seat and the edge of thefloor can be easily filled with a cooler or small luggage.
Little waste bin can be made to fitbehind the center console.
The upper seat mounting brackets areused to hold the cross member for the rear “bench” for storingluggage above the feet when sleeping in the vehicle. The bench isdivided into two section for easier access to the spare tire.
To prevent the entry of biting insects,the rear windows are fitted with a net sandwiched between two layersof 1/8 inch plywood. This was the most difficult to make, becausethere are are hardly any straight areas in the window frames andrequired a lot of sanding.
Happy camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9714.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	4845   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9715.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	4847   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9718.jpg