Test drive disappointment - Help/questions - Kia Niro Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Test drive disappointment - Help/questions

Hey there -- I need some help for Niro owners.

I'm really liking the form factor (size, shape...) and features of the Niro & thought I would be buying one in the next week or two. I got a 1/2 hour test drive from a dealer a month ago in an EX Premium & it felt pretty good. But before laying down $35K, I wanted to be sure the Niro was a good fit in all regards; especially seat comfort which is critical for my wife. Currently we are driving a 2017 Golf and 2015 Subaru Outback so we're pretty spoiled regarding the seat comfort and noise Since no dealer would allow me a prolonged 24 hr, 200 mile test drive (understandable) I am currently using Turo to rent a 2018 Niro PHEV LX. The car has 18" wheels and 246/45R18 I just got back from 40 mile, 60 minute drive and was quite disappointed in two things.

1. The standard fabric seat doesn't have much cushion on bottom nor back & very little lumber support. I'm hoping that the EX Premium leather seats has power lumbar adjust on drivers side and I'm hoping it may have better cushioning. I can't recall if the passenger seat has lumbar adjust or not.

2. The road noise /tire noise was quite loud. Again, hoping this may be a function of the wheels on the car I have and that the 16" wheel tire package will not be as noisy.

Would love imput from you regarding if the EX Premium is going be similar in seat comfort and road noise or better. Please pipe up! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:09 PM

Road noise should be lower with the 16" wheels. Fitting a spare tire and cargo cover will also help. Noise is lower without intervention than prior car for me. Seats can be fitted with new cushions that suit.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Road noise should be lower with the 16" wheels. Fitting a spare tire and cargo cover will also help. Noise is lower without intervention than prior car for me. Seats can be fitted with new cushions that suit.
Man, I would hope that when spending $35K on a new car that I wouldn't have to rebuild the seats!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
I am currently using Turo to rent a 2018 Niro PHEV LX. The car has 18" wheels and 246/45R18 I just got back from 40 mile, 60 minute drive and was quite disappointed in two things.
First, you have for your test, the wrong trim LX for the expected version you would like Ex Premium! You are testing a "Pimped" Niro.. LX trim level does not have 18' wheels and none of the tech stuff to planty make up a good mind in your test.

Quote:
1. The standard fabric seat doesn't have much cushion on bottom nor back & very little lumber support. I'm hoping that the EX Premium leather seats has power lumbar adjust on drivers side and I'm hoping it may have better cushioning. I can't recall if the passenger seat has lumbar adjust or not.
The LX version does not have the power leather seat that the Ex Premium does have. this is a HUGE différence. Only the driver side has the power seats..

Quote:
2. The road noise /tire noise was quite loud. Again, hoping this may be a function of the wheels on the car I have and that the 16" wheel tire package will not be as noisy.
There you go, you got yourself the anwser.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Man, I would hope that when spending $35K on a new car that I wouldn't have to rebuild the seats!
You've never customized a car for your comfort? People pay three to ten thousand dollars for Recaro seats alone. If there is a car that is otherwise perfect for you, going to a car upholstery shop and paying a few hundred dollars is a worthwhile "option" to purchase. Would you pay $35,000 for a new car with great seats that otherwise is horrible and completely ill suited for your needs or style?
Dovidan likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:46 PM

I have a 18 Niro LX with 16 in. wheels. I have noticed slightly more road noise with the Niro than my 12 Prius. Seems little nosier on concrete roads than asphalt so it may be the tires more than the car???? Seats are comfortable for me (we've taken it to Pa. and back from Fl. twice). But it's a 22k car not 35k. So it's been good for us.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:11 PM

My past three cars have had full leather seats so I was a little disappointed in the “squishiness” of my Niro EX seats that have the cloth/leather seats. I guess some people might like it because it’s softer, but I was use to the feel of leather seats. I am not the primary driver of the Niro but I drive it on the weekends and I don’t notice as much now.

2018 HEV Niro EX Metal Stream with Advanced Tech Package
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Hey there -- I need some help for Niro owners.

I'm really liking the form factor (size, shape...) and features of the Niro & thought I would be buying one in the next week or two. I got a 1/2 hour test drive from a dealer a month ago in an EX Premium & it felt pretty good. But before laying down $35K, I wanted to be sure the Niro was a good fit in all regards; especially seat comfort which is critical for my wife. Currently we are driving a 2017 Golf and 2015 Subaru Outback so we're pretty spoiled regarding the seat comfort and noise Since no dealer would allow me a prolonged 24 hr, 200 mile test drive (understandable) I am currently using Turo to rent a 2018 Niro PHEV LX. The car has 18" wheels and 246/45R18 I just got back from 40 mile, 60 minute drive and was quite disappointed in two things.

Would love imput from you regarding if the EX Premium is going be similar in seat comfort and road noise or better. Please pipe up! Thanks

I've been driving a 2018 PHEV Niro for six months. Most of my trips are short, but there have been a few road trips that went for hours or all day.

For this trim package, the driver's seat has adjustable lumbar support.

My previous rides were a 2008 Honda CR-V EX-L (leather seats, electric drivers seat with Lumbar support) and a 2004 Toyota Tacoma pickup (nice legroom for my 6'3"+ frame). I find the Niro seating to be better than both, and to be "sufficient", but this is very much a personal judgement. My wife likes the CR-V better than the Niro.

You are right to be focused on this concern. I recall a rental I had about a decade ago that I spent many hours in over the course of a week. After the third day, I felt like my spine had been fused and I could hardly bend my back, was in pain all day long. I thought it was just me, but my wife developed the same problem a day after I did. Not sure what it was about the seats in that car, but I've never had that problem before, or since (thank God!).

I haven't found road noise to be a concern. The only thing I've noticed in that regard is that when I'm driving at 25 MPH with the window down and cornering sharply, I hear a kind of "squishy" noise from the tires that I'm not accustomed to. I assume it has something to do with the low rolling resistance formulation of the tires. It's not particularly obnoxious, just not familiar to me.

Sorry - I can't relate this car to the LX, or a Golf or an Outback. On an all day drive in the Niro, I get stiff at some point and I'm happy to have a chance to get out of the car and stretch, but I've never experienced any sort of seating where I would not feel that way if I sat in the same position for an extended period.

hope it helps.
Dovidan likes this.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

I will say that the seats in my Niro EX are not as good or as comfortable as the seats I had in my Ford Edge. Next weekend is the first test to see how well they do in long drives as I am taking the car out for a 300km drive north. Now I will admit that my age plays a greater part in comfort, i generally have to pee far more than I get cramped back.
FlNiro likes this.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:18 AM

I have an ex premium. Road noise is slightly higher than my hubby's Ford Fusion Energi, but a lot less than my 1997 Toyota Camry. I've done 10 hour road trips and found the seats comfortable. If you're worried about seat comfort, take a book/movie and sit in the car at the dealers for a few hours to check it out.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page