Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Test drive disappointment - Help/questions

7K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Dovidan 
#1 ·
Hey there -- I need some help for Niro owners.

I'm really liking the form factor (size, shape...) and features of the Niro & thought I would be buying one in the next week or two. I got a 1/2 hour test drive from a dealer a month ago in an EX Premium & it felt pretty good. But before laying down $35K, I wanted to be sure the Niro was a good fit in all regards; especially seat comfort which is critical for my wife. Currently we are driving a 2017 Golf and 2015 Subaru Outback so we're pretty spoiled regarding the seat comfort and noise Since no dealer would allow me a prolonged 24 hr, 200 mile test drive (understandable) I am currently using Turo to rent a 2018 Niro PHEV LX. The car has 18" wheels and 246/45R18 I just got back from 40 mile, 60 minute drive and was quite disappointed in two things. :confused:

1. The standard fabric seat doesn't have much cushion on bottom nor back & very little lumber support. I'm hoping that the EX Premium leather seats has power lumbar adjust on drivers side and I'm hoping it may have better cushioning. I can't recall if the passenger seat has lumbar adjust or not.

2. The road noise /tire noise was quite loud. Again, hoping this may be a function of the wheels on the car I have and that the 16" wheel tire package will not be as noisy.

Would love imput from you regarding if the EX Premium is going be similar in seat comfort and road noise or better. Please pipe up! Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
I am currently using Turo to rent a 2018 Niro PHEV LX. The car has 18" wheels and 246/45R18 I just got back from 40 mile, 60 minute drive and was quite disappointed in two things. :confused:
First, you have for your test, the wrong trim LX for the expected version you would like Ex Premium! You are testing a "Pimped" Niro.. :D LX trim level does not have 18' wheels and none of the tech stuff to planty make up a good mind in your test.

1. The standard fabric seat doesn't have much cushion on bottom nor back & very little lumber support. I'm hoping that the EX Premium leather seats has power lumbar adjust on drivers side and I'm hoping it may have better cushioning. I can't recall if the passenger seat has lumbar adjust or not.
The LX version does not have the power leather seat that the Ex Premium does have. this is a HUGE différence. ;) Only the driver side has the power seats..

2. The road noise /tire noise was quite loud. Again, hoping this may be a function of the wheels on the car I have and that the 16" wheel tire package will not be as noisy.
There you go, you got yourself the anwser.

#6 ·
I have a 18 Niro LX with 16 in. wheels. I have noticed slightly more road noise with the Niro than my 12 Prius. Seems little nosier on concrete roads than asphalt so it may be the tires more than the car???? Seats are comfortable for me (we've taken it to Pa. and back from Fl. twice). But it's a 22k car not 35k. So it's been good for us.

#7 ·
My past three cars have had full leather seats so I was a little disappointed in the “squishiness” of my Niro EX seats that have the cloth/leather seats. I guess some people might like it because it’s softer, but I was use to the feel of leather seats. I am not the primary driver of the Niro but I drive it on the weekends and I don’t notice as much now.

#8 ·
Hey there -- I need some help for Niro owners.

I'm really liking the form factor (size, shape...) and features of the Niro & thought I would be buying one in the next week or two. I got a 1/2 hour test drive from a dealer a month ago in an EX Premium & it felt pretty good. But before laying down $35K, I wanted to be sure the Niro was a good fit in all regards; especially seat comfort which is critical for my wife. Currently we are driving a 2017 Golf and 2015 Subaru Outback so we're pretty spoiled regarding the seat comfort and noise Since no dealer would allow me a prolonged 24 hr, 200 mile test drive (understandable) I am currently using Turo to rent a 2018 Niro PHEV LX. The car has 18" wheels and 246/45R18 I just got back from 40 mile, 60 minute drive and was quite disappointed in two things. :confused:

Would love imput from you regarding if the EX Premium is going be similar in seat comfort and road noise or better. Please pipe up! Thanks

I've been driving a 2018 PHEV Niro for six months. Most of my trips are short, but there have been a few road trips that went for hours or all day.

For this trim package, the driver's seat has adjustable lumbar support.

My previous rides were a 2008 Honda CR-V EX-L (leather seats, electric drivers seat with Lumbar support) and a 2004 Toyota Tacoma pickup (nice legroom for my 6'3"+ frame). I find the Niro seating to be better than both, and to be "sufficient", but this is very much a personal judgement. My wife likes the CR-V better than the Niro.

You are right to be focused on this concern. I recall a rental I had about a decade ago that I spent many hours in over the course of a week. After the third day, I felt like my spine had been fused and I could hardly bend my back, was in pain all day long. I thought it was just me, but my wife developed the same problem a day after I did. Not sure what it was about the seats in that car, but I've never had that problem before, or since (thank God!).

I haven't found road noise to be a concern. The only thing I've noticed in that regard is that when I'm driving at 25 MPH with the window down and cornering sharply, I hear a kind of "squishy" noise from the tires that I'm not accustomed to. I assume it has something to do with the low rolling resistance formulation of the tires. It's not particularly obnoxious, just not familiar to me.

Sorry - I can't relate this car to the LX, or a Golf or an Outback. On an all day drive in the Niro, I get stiff at some point and I'm happy to have a chance to get out of the car and stretch, but I've never experienced any sort of seating where I would not feel that way if I sat in the same position for an extended period.

hope it helps.

#9 ·
I will say that the seats in my Niro EX are not as good or as comfortable as the seats I had in my Ford Edge. Next weekend is the first test to see how well they do in long drives as I am taking the car out for a 300km drive north. Now I will admit that my age plays a greater part in comfort, i generally have to pee far more than I get cramped back.

#10 ·
I have an ex premium. Road noise is slightly higher than my hubby's Ford Fusion Energi, but a lot less than my 1997 Toyota Camry. I've done 10 hour road trips and found the seats comfortable. If you're worried about seat comfort, take a book/movie and sit in the car at the dealers for a few hours to check it out.

#11 ·
Thanks all for sharing your thoughts and experience with Niros.

Beth: Sitting in the car for a few hours at the dealership is not quite the same as riding down the highway at 70 but truly a novel suggestion! If I know my wife I'm pretty sure she is a tad too self conscious to sit in a car in the showroom for several hours though 0:)

We will be in the Niro LX from Turo for about 3 hours this weekend. Then go to deal & test drive an a EX w leather for an hour or so. That should tell us what we need to know.

I drove a 2019 Leaf BEV just to compare. Gotta say the overall drive, ride, noise level and seat comfort was quite superior to the Niro. The BEV is attractive & even the top end LEAF with leather is a bit less than the Niro PHEV EX Prem. However the cargo area is tiered with the seats down & would not be nearly as useable as the Niros. But I'm gonna keep the LEAF in my back pocket.

#12 ·
Dovidan, I take a few dishes and glasses to the store when I buy a dishwasher to make sure they don't tip over. I truly believe in testing out what you're going to buy. LOL The Leaf is nice, but I wanted the ability to drive long distances as needed.

#13 ·
Dovidan, we also live in the Seattle area.

I hope this answer doesn't break any rules. When we were test driving, Chuck Olson Kia was offering an extended test drive period -you could call them for details. We do not have any affiliation with them and ended up buying from another area dealer.

We've only owned our 2018 PHEV for a couple of weeks and are happy so far with the leather seats in our EX Premium. We drove over to Leavenworth and back and enjoyed the ride.

#15 ·
Road noise - For certain stick with 16" wheels, not the 18" (I took out my sound meter app during the test drives, but can't recall the actual data. But there is a measurable difference at highway speed). There are certainly cars that are more quiet than the Niro (my sister's Prius Prime), but we can hold conversation just fine between passengers in the back and front. My old car, not so much.

Seats - I have the fabric/leather combo with the power driver's seat and am ok with it, even on long road trips. In fact, I actually prefer it to our other vehicle (2014 Toyota Tacoma) which feels great for the first hour then the "cushiness" actually makes it less comfortable (maybe not as supportive?). Nevertheless, my old 2000 Honda CR-V with leather seats was THE BEST. Actually, I love the leather seats in my sister's Prime, but the storage is so awkward and the controls are a total mess (oh, I mean the screens are a mess since you don't get actual controls).

For me, the hauling capacity and getting into a hybrid that wasn't a Prius-form overrode the items you note. I agree with you that there is room for improvement with both. Nonetheless, I have really loved it for 1 1/2 years and only regret that they didn't have the Phev or EV available when I purchased mine.

#16 ·
Thanks everyone for your all your thoughtful and helpful input! After test driving and further analysis of cost savings in our particular situation, we've decided to put any new car / PHEV / HEV / BEV on hold for at least 6 months. maybe a couple of years. It is partially analysis paralysis and no real need to make a change at this time. With so much coming down the pipeline we're gonna wait to see how the market shakes out. I do think that there is some sort of an EV in our future, just not right now. Meanwhile we have two perfectly good cars that we really like even if their are ICEs. I will continue to lurk here hoping to learn more

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.