Forgetting keys in your pocket - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By nounounounou
  • 1 Post By padonion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Angry Forgetting keys in your pocket

Hi, my wife just drop me off at work and drove away on the new Niro. Five minutes later she called me: I forgot to give her the key and she drove all the way home, 2 km away, without it. Now the car wouldn't turn on anymore.

How could it be possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio Grasselli View Post
Hi, my wife just drop me off at work and drove away on the new Niro. Five minutes later she called me: I forgot to give her the key and she drove all the way home, 2 km away, without it. Now the car wouldn't turn on anymore.

How could it be possible?
I believe a light comes on if the keys leave the car while the car is running.

Take Uber home?

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:53 AM

no surprise it is same with all keyless I beleive (or at least all the ones I had)... the car must have beepd for a while as you walked away and you ignored it and your wife sat with a nice key not detected message in front of her and ignoring as well the nice beeeeeep

imagin the other case: you drive 80 on buisy motorway and the key fob fails and suddenly the car does not detect the key... should the car turn the engine off and lock the steering or carry on until it is turned off?

what happened to your wife is what it is design to do in case it does not detect the key: run until turned off... there are 2 keys: one for your wife one for you, to keep in pocket or handbag...
FlNiro likes this.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:13 AM

My Niro beeps when I leave the car on and step outside it with the fob.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:53 PM

Hello,
I confirm, as I'm required to leave my car time to time to close the gate, that the car beep periodically if the key leaves the car while it is ON with a message on the dashboard "Key left the car!" or something like that, no way to get around it!

I know that this car talks a lot but we need to pay attention to what it tries to tell us sometime

I also agree with nounounounou, it is a normal behavior that the car does not go OFF when the key leaves the vehicle in case of key failure not to put the driver in an unsafe situation if the car is not OFF.

Christophe.
lafe005 likes this.

Kia Niro PHEV 2019 Gravity Blue.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:31 PM

It will also not allow you to lock the car when a key is still inside. Often when I'm driving I will have my key on me, and my wife will have hers in her purse. When we get out she often leaves her purse in the car. The only way to lock it is to us the real key which is in the fob.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:02 PM

The same thing happened to me too. I started the car with the keys in my coat pocket (keeping them in my pants pocket usually sets off the panic alarm) and ended up going back in the house and decided to change jackets due to the weather. Got in the car and drove away and didn't realize I did not have the key until I went to lock the vehicle. Luckily it was not far away and one of the kids drove the key to me. The "key not detected" message goes away and is not visible when driving the vehicle. The message should override everything on the screen and there should be an continuous audible sound stating the key is not in the car if the car is moving. This never happened with my previous vehicle but the key fob was designed a 100 times better (Toyota) and it did not activate the panic button when in my pocket constantly.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP216 View Post
The same thing happened to me too. I started the car with the keys in my coat pocket (keeping them in my pants pocket usually sets off the panic alarm) and ended up going back in the house and decided to change jackets due to the weather. Got in the car and drove away and didn't realize I did not have the key until I went to lock the vehicle. Luckily it was not far away and one of the kids drove the key to me. The "key not detected" message goes away and is not visible when driving the vehicle. The message should override everything on the screen and there should be an continuous audible sound stating the key is not in the car if the car is moving. This never happened with my previous vehicle but the key fob was designed a 100 times better (Toyota) and it did not activate the panic button when in my pocket constantly.
My friend accidentally dropped her key fob in her driveway and then drove to her destination a hundred miles away before realizing she didnít have it on her. I believe she had a Toyota minivan. Luckily, she had a REALLY good neighbor who drove the fob to her.

And as for constantly beeping to warn you about the missing fob, there are people on here who are already annoyed at all the beeps and boops this car makes by just starting up. And then there are those who will say they donít need an idiot alarm for missing key because they know what theyíre doing and donít need a nanny.

2018 HEV Niro EX Metal Stream with Advanced Tech Package

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page