65mpg??? - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

65mpg???

I have a new niro - one week old. Today, the "Inst Fuel Economy" bar was pegged all the way to 75mpg, even when i was going 70 miles per hour. The little hybrid "tree" was all blue, and the EV light was on most of the way home, even at 70 mph. So for a 28 mile trip it said i was getting 63.5 mpg. I did reset average mpg but that didn't make a difference. Any ideas as to way may be going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:27 PM

That happened to me Saturday but mine said 72 mpg. It was after a fill-up and I was running 60mph.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

This occurred after a fill-up for me as well. Are you taking yours into the service department?>
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:05 PM

Anytime you are in EV mode, the instant mpg graph is pegged. Normal.
srssr likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the clarification. Is it normal to be in EV mode at 70mph?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:48 PM

Down hill, yes. At 70, I can only stay in EV for a short while.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:54 PM

I rarely go above 65 mph, but I have seen it in EV at 70 mph for brief periods.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Mystery solved. Thanks everyone
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:40 PM

Hello everybody,
you would be surprised about the required HP to maintain a steady 70mph on freeway (no acceleration).
If the wind is not against you and you are not uphill, it can be as low as about 20 HP (I have a friend with a BMW that displays in realtime the HP used, this is where I get those numbers).

Knowing that hybrid version of Kia Niro has a 43HP electrical motor, on ideal condition YES it can handle the constant speed on freeway it is not going to be for a long time but if you are light on the pedal or on cruise control, it happens.
The main reason is that the Niro is very energy harvesting oriented. Which means that when you are on the highway running on ICE, if not all the power of the ICE is used for traction, the remaining HP are used to generate some electricity. After a while, to keep the EV battery to a constant level, the car is going to reuse temporary this stored energy. This is what I really like in this car, nothing is lost

I discovered that on my Plugin (I know, the plugin has bigger battery and the motor is 60HP instead of 43HP, but the principle is still the same).
When I'm on freeway in HEV mode, on a long flat cruise controlled freeway, I can see that the ICE is providing energy to the wheels AND battery.
Then after a while, I can see the ICE turning OFF and battery keeping the constant motion for a little while. It is like a cycle charge / discharge to use the excess of energy. The ratio is pretty low, I would say 1/10 (1 mile free for 10 miles ICE) but still appreciated.

Of course this increases our mpg. For example, my last 2 trips with about 250 miles (way above the 24 EV capacity) I did around 60mpg.
On the opposite, if I drive on a windy road where constant speed is difficult to keep, my mpg can go as low as 47 mpg, which confirms the 47mpg given for ICE only.

Christophe.

Kia Niro PHEV 2019 Gravity Blue.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:07 PM

Good stuff from multiple posters. Adding to all of the above: I occasionally drive a route that takes me up to 70 MPH for a brief jaunt (about 5 miles). It also involves a small number of around-town miles. I can do the whole round trip in my PHEV without ever starting the ICE (so long as I keep my acceleration in the green Eco zone), but I've noticed that when I'm doing that kind of driving, my 26 mile EV range at the outset is depleted significantly more than the new miles on the odometer would suggest it should be.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page