2019 Hybrid or PHEV? - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

2019 Hybrid or PHEV?

I'm looking at buying a Niro and was looking for some feedback with regard to buying either of these models (SX Touring or PHEV SX). I drive approx 2000kms per month with 75-80% of it on the highway. Currently there is no charging station at my work place, but they may be installing one in the future. There is a Federal incentive ($5000.00) announced which will likely include the Niro PHEV, which would make the cost almost identical. For my usage, which would be the better choice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:40 PM

If you can't charge at work, and can't charge at home (for example, if you park on the street and would have to run the electric cord across the sidewalk to charge your car), then you probably don't want the PHEV. Some of the Kia documentations suggests that it's bad for the PHEV's battery to drive it like an HEV and never bring it to a full charge. But if you can charge somewhere, then the PHEV might make sense for you. You get 26 miles (I think that's about 41 km?) based on electricity instead of gasoline for every day's drive, assuming you recharge at home every night. With the PHEV you're lugging around a heavier battery, which works against your overall efficiency to some extent, but you also have the advantage of a bit more horsepower when you need it on a long uphill drive (assuming you haven't fully depleted the PHEV's charge). It can also give you better efficiency in certain kinds of driving (for example, in stop and go driving, especially when the ICE hasn't warmed up yet, if you can do all that on the battery, you're likely to enjoy better overall efficiency).

I can drive my PHEV in EV mode on the highway up to about 75 MPH, but if you ask for quick acceleration, then the ICE will start in order to supplement available horsepower. I seem to get somewhat reduced electric range when driving at highway speed, but I haven't had enough opportunities to reach any firm conclusions about how big that reduced range is.

Depending on where you live, there might be other incentives, aside from the one you mentioned. In certain parts of the US you can get rebates from local governments for a PHEV, can also get a break on your electric bill for the portion that goes toward charging the PHEV (if you put in a separate meter, but in some places, you can get a discount for the cost of the new meter). In Southern California, I think there were either three or else four different incentive packages that I was able to take advantage of for my PHEV purchase (including the federal incentive).

I love my 2018 PHEV EX Premium, but my situation is somewhat atypical: I tend to do a lot of short all-electric drives because I work from home and don't have a daily commute; I have rooftop solar that generates a surplus of electricity (that I'm not getting much compensation for), so compared to what I was doing previously, most of my electric miles on the Niro PHEV are "free" (or nearly so).

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I have a heated garage so the vehicles are well taken care of and daily charging would not be a problem. I'm leaning towards the PHEV, but they are in short supply. I talked to a salesman today and he thought there were more inbound for June/July so maybe I will see if I can get one ordered in and just wait a few months.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:59 AM

Garage
You didn't say how far it is to work. If you have a heated garage then this will help with total EV miles on the PHEV version since the car will already be warm. Even at 90 miles round trip to work my PHEV gets better overall fuel mileage for the trip than if I had a HEV. Works out to about 60 mpg once you figure in the EV miles.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Hi Niborium, i have 3 words to discribed my PHEV.. I LOVE IT.! and SAVES ME GAS...

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandent View Post
You didn't say how far it is to work. If you have a heated garage then this will help with total EV miles on the PHEV version since the car will already be warm. Even at 90 miles round trip to work my PHEV gets better overall fuel mileage for the trip than if I had a HEV. Works out to about 60 mpg once you figure in the EV miles.
Sorry about that. it's around 80kms round trip.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirobium View Post
Sorry about that. it's around 80kms round trip.
You got a 42km full EV charge when you leave at home! I you are able to recharge at work, you will get the back home trip with a 41km! so your commute is EV 100%...

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:27 AM

If the price is the same, get the PHEV. When I got mine, price of gas was lower so cost/mile on electricity was approximately the same as gas. But, driving on electrons was more “fun”, mostly because it is quieter. And, you get some great bragging rights on overall fuel economy...in my case, 185 mpg, but most of my trips are within its (usual) 30 mile EV range.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page