2018 Kia Niro EX - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

2018 Kia Niro EX

Hello all,
I am new here and just purchased a 2018 Kia Niro Ex. I currently love it as I would a any new relationship when still in the honeymoon phase.
I would like to hear your pros and cons....
Also I thought that the Niro is suppose to go into EV mode when you stop at a red light and this is not always the case.
Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:03 AM

Hi Congrats on your new car and welcome. The Niro won't go into EV mode when you stop under certain circumstances, such as..
1. HV Battery charge is too low
2. ICE will run to make heat, especially true when car is not fully warmed up.
3. Defroster is on, no matter if car is cold or warm. ( not totally sure about this on the Niro but it was for my old Prius and it was a good trick if you wanted to keep the ICE running for some reason).

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:15 PM

I drive for Uber and purchased a 2018 Kia Niro EX about six months ago. Since then Iíve put on 34,000 miles. Iíve put in AMSOIL signature full synthetic oil along with their oil filter. They say you can go up to 25k or 1 yr. with it, but I change it every 10k as the type of driving I do is considered severe. They have one of the highest ratings out there. Mobile 1 has probably the lowest, as most of their additives evaporate too quickly.
One other tip, go order a pair of silicone wipers. Iíve found that rain-x makes the best.You wonít find these in most auto parts stores as they want you to keep coming back for replacements. The silicone wipers far outlast the others and they are smooth as silk.
So far I love my Kia Niro, but wish they would do something about the road noise.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome. So far I love my car but I do find it quite slow especially when merging on the highway. Am I crazy?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:13 AM

Garage
New owner

Welcome! Have you tried sport mode(pull shift lever to the left). Mine kicks butt, then push it back over when you get passed your obstacle. I have had my Phev for about 4 months and I love it. Haven't seen to many gas stations lately (accept in my rear view mirror as I drive by )
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:40 AM

Agreed - I (inadvertently) wound up burning rubber when I shifted in to sport mode at a stop light so that I could pull out quickly enough when the light changed to make a lane change. I don't use it often, but it's a pretty amazing feature when you want responsiveness.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:12 AM

Same result by flooring the go pedal, but there can be a slight delay - about the same time as it takes you to think of going into Sport mode and actually shifting. Of course, if you are already in Sport, or "preaccelerate" with the pedal.... The latter is what I do routinely, I think I've only shifted to Sport half a dozen times over 15 months.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Good to know. I haven't put in "Sport" mode yet since I was afraid it would use all my gas lol. I live in Montreal Quebec and gas is $1.41 per liter!!!I am trying to preserve as much gas as possible. Any other tricks I should know about?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:44 AM

No tips you couldn't read on any efficiency page online. Plan your starts and stops well in advance, drive gently (most important around town), use cruise control as much as you can. In the winter, try to drive as much as possible, at least for the first 5 miles, without HVAC on. Shifting into neutral at long lights will save a little, as will not running lights in the daytime. I also try to pull through in parking lots so no reversing necessary. Often this means parking further out, but that also means less distance driven. Keep your tires inflated to 36 PSI in summer and winter. When ICE comes on at slow speeds while accelerating, I tend to accelerate a bit faster as the ICE is just not very efficient until you reach about 38 mph. So I lose a bit on that acceleration, but gain by more time spent at a more efficient speed. Not sure if that last is good advice or not, but can't hurt much, especially if you want cabin heat starting off.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:52 AM

I use sport mode to get on the interstate as it seems ECO is a bit laggy with acceleration. Once I achieve the right speed I put it back into ECO mode.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page