Regular service - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Regular service

I will be due for the second regular service, but it is not that convenient for me to use the dealership. Can going to midas or other reputable auto service instead cause any warranty problems? TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:30 AM

No, unless the warranty claim can point to exactly what outside service caused a failure, they cannot deny the claim.

Example, you get your oil changed at Jim-Bobs 5 minute oil change place and on the way home the oil filter splits and the engine seizes because of that, no warranty. However under the same conditions, a wheel bearing fails on your way home, its impossible to point to Jim Bob as a cause to deny that bearing failure.

You are protected by The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. Get familiar with it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:34 AM

Just keep your receipts.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
You are protected by The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. Get familiar with it.
Caveat: Assuming the OP is in the United States.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 04:56 PM

Canadians say they can do their own service too. Not so for the British.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Canadians say they can do their own service too. Not so for the British.
Sure, but not because of Magnuson-Moss. They benefit from the more prosaic Consumer Protection Acts.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:15 PM

What, you mean those northern states don't benefit from US law? Kind of like Puerto Rico?

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscoulter View Post
I will be due for the second regular service, but it is not that convenient for me to use the dealership. Can going to midas or other reputable auto service instead cause any warranty problems? TIA!
I have never found Midas to be a good place for service, and I wonder if they are generally considered "reputable". There might be some Midas shops that have good general mechanics, but there are a lot that seem to have people who have been trained in installing exhaust parts, but anything else that you let them do is probably a mistake (based on my limited experience).

Sometimes I work on my own car, sometimes I take it to the corner garage that has people I have learned to trust for certain kinds of things, and sometimes I take it to the dealer.

Years ago, I purchased a used Honda Accord: it was about five years old but in really good shape. After a few months, I took it to the local Jiffy Lube for an oil change. They over tightened the drain plug and stripped the threads, which left a big puddle of oil on the floor in my (rented) garage, and then when I brought it back to them and complained, they responded by putting in an oversize plug, rather than fixing it properly by replacing the oil pan (about a $30 part, but it would have required pulling the engine out to replace it, so their reluctance to repair it properly was somewhat understandable). And the funny thing about that whole experience was that the dealer was matching their price for oil changes - would have been less convenient, but wouldn't have cost any more if I had gone to the dealer, and I could have avoided driving around for the next five years with my heart in my mouth every time I went in for an oil change, wondering if this would be the time that the hack repair job gave out and I would have to spring for the cost of changing out the oil pan.

To answer your question, you should be able to have your oil changed anywhere and satisfy warranty requirements, but you do want to ensure that they use the oil specified by the owners manual (which is more expensive than average), and you would do well to keep documentation of the mileage and the type of oil that was used, in case you do have a reason to ask for warranty service in the future. If you're needing other kinds of service, it might be a mistake to take it to anyone but the dealer, depending on what needs to be done. Most places should be able to rotate your tires, replace air filters, etc. But something like changing your clutch fluid seems to require special equipment that only Kia and maybe Hyundai dealers are likely to have.
spankym likes this.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:17 PM

Garage
^ Great post. Indeed, everyone should know where and when to take their car for service, and also know that it's not always the same place every time.

For myself, I generally follow these rules:

For cars that still have warranties, I always take them to the dealership for all services (including oil changes) other than tires and brake discs/pads. For tires and brakes, I use Americas Tire.

For cars that are no longer under warranty, I never take it to the dealership for anything except for parts recalls. I have regular services (oil/fluid changes, etc) done by my local "corner" auto shop, and I have other services/repairs done by a (usually further away) shop that specializes in that particular car/make.

I really don't trust Midas, Jiffy Lube, etc, type of places because I don't feel like the people who work there have enough training or experience. I've too often gotten my car back in worse shape than when I took it there, and I got fed up. I no longer give my money to cheapo chain repair shops where my cars will likely be worked on by an 18 year old kid. I'd much rather support my local small-business shops that are more often run by passionate people who know what they're doing.
Dovidan likes this.

2018 PHEV
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:59 PM

My general rule is that only you care enough about your vehicle to do the service correctly.

Dealerships are notoriously low paying, high turnover, entry level job shops. Think that 16 year old cares if he puts windshield washer fluid in your crankcase?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page