Map Updates? - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Map Updates?

Has anyone updated their maps yet? I assume that you must have this done at the dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookrd1 View Post
Has anyone updated their maps yet? I assume that you must have this done at the dealer?
I think you can just go here:

https://www.kia-gpsmap.us/ (at least in the US)

and buy a new SD card with the latest maps, might be a download option too. I've never bothered as I use my phone for navigation.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:25 PM

I got an email about this and it took me to that link. I use CarPlay so don't care about the built in nav, but I am miffed that I have to pay $145 to get the updates mentioned:

"Along with the new map and points of interest, the map update includes refinement of the system including routing, functionality, and overall ease-of-use. The update also includes the latest Android Auto and Apple CarPlay software."

I haven't pulled the trigger since I don't know the specifics of the updates and if they would benefit me or not..
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankym View Post
I got an email about this and it took me to that link. I use CarPlay so don't care about the built in nav, but I am miffed that I have to pay $145 to get the updates mentioned:
Most, if not all, factory NAV systems charge for map updates. Heck, my old Garmin cost me $150 to update a few years ago. The only reason I did that was to get the latest Euro maps for a vacation in the days before I had a phone that worked overseas.

Just be thankful you don't have a REALLY old factory Nav. The one in my 2005 Audi S4 is DVD based () and each disc only covers a limited area. For example, the one I have only covers Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia. Each additional DVD is over $100. That hurts. Plus, the Nav is in the trunk behind a panel, so changing discs is not something you can do while driving.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:51 PM

Yeah, I get that and would not mind paying for map updates if I used them. I feel like the CarPlay update should be free like iOS updates though. I assume it fixes some bugs, etc. but the release notes are not specific.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:57 PM

Kias in Europe gets free map updates. Seems strange that they charge us here. Probably some law in Europe that requires map updates to be free.

Android Auto just announced a big update to their program. I saw a video of the new system and it looks nice. I thought it was an app update to get it, not a car update. Guess I'll see this summer.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:29 PM

Garage
Android auto all the way.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

I just traded a Subaru Outback for my new Niro, and Subaru offered free updates for 3 years. I could even download the file and install it myself from a USB stick. But yeah, I use Car Play so no real need for paying for map updates. Firmware updates are another matter. Perhaps Kia will cover those under warranty.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

The time that having an updated map would come in handy is if you are traveling out of country. For the US people who visit Canada, or us Canadian's going to the US for a visit. The cost of out of country cell can get pretty expensive for no real reason. Then you will want to have a built in NAV.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:09 PM

Most of the current plans on the major US wireless providers include Canada and Mexico.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page