niro EV trailer hitch - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By doro6529

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

niro EV trailer hitch

is there a trailer hitch receiver available for the kia niro EV? is the rear of chassis, where a trailer hitch would mount the same on a normal niro, different than on the EV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:57 PM

None of the Niro models are approved for towing. If you ever have a warranty claim that will be an issue, especially drivetrain related claims.
lafe005 likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

i just want to mount my bike rack. and be able to take it on and off.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:24 PM

Curt Class III hitch for PHEV

I have a 2018 Niro PHEV. It appears to be the same as my neighbor's 2019 PHEV. I mounted a Curt Class III hitch for a bike rack. There is a problem in that there is a piece welded to the frame on the passenger side which interferes with the hitch. The solution is to notch the vertical plate on the hitch so it fits around it. It can be done with a hacksaw blade on sawmill or cutting blade on grinder, a very simple modification of the hitch. It does not appear to affect the strength of the hitch, which is secured by 6 bolts. There is a small plastic piece under the car that needs to be trimmed too. I know the Curt works well and it easy to install. etrailer.com has some videos for the Curt hitch (perhaps for earlier model Niros or non-PHEV) which are 95% accurate (except for the notching). Of course none of this might apply to the EV. Robert
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:06 PM

Good deal of INFO has been posted time back (Hybrid NIRO) about trailer hitches.

They are not rated to tow I did call Customer Service and reported the results of that on a post at that time).

Seems the answer about warranty was - having a trailer hitch would not void warranty (unless there was evidence of too much load on the vehicle). Sort of a vague answer.

Anyway, I did not mount one on my 2017 EX Hybrid. How would you convince them if they wanted and out that you only mounted bicycles or a light load?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

well i bought a curt class III receiver hitch for my niro EV. it fit pretty good. there were two studs on the chassis for the under panel in the rear, that had to be removed. and had to trim panel to fit around hitch. the curt hitch had to be ground away at one of the bolt holes a little bit. otherwise it was an easy fit.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page