Wiring Issue from repair - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Wiring Issue from repair

Good morning,
Yesterday I finally vacuumed and cleaned the interior of my wife's Niro. We have a month old now so time is not as abundant lol. When I got to the back seat I noticed a yellow wire sticking out. I have a picture for you to see it. We don't have anyone that sits in the backseat and we don't have any other children etc. It took me awhile to think of it but I remember some TSB being performed including a wiring harness being replaced. SA343 and SA350. Does anyone know if these components could have been this yellow wire and the technician did a poor job at repair. It was months ago but nobody would have noticed as we don't sit in the back. 95% of the time it's just my wife and the baby hazard hours are mismatched. It's on the driver side just under the rear door above the floor.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190525_194150_1558871757730.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	5013  

2018 Kia Niro EX W/Advanced Tech
2017 Kia Forte S W/Advanced Tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

There are quite a few lines inside the car. I think that the High Voltage ones are all RED so as this one is yellow, I doubt that you need to worry from a safety point of view. From a customer service point of view, NO it shouldn't be exposed like that. I have looked under both of my seats and I don't have any yellow wires that are sticking out. There are wires there for the heated front seats, and airbags, but they are well under the seating area and not something that you would notice if sitting in the back seat.

Your description and photo doesn't really explain how far under the seat this yellow wire is. If you pull the seat fully forward, is the wire exposed and in plane sight? From the photo, it also looks like some of the carpet around the wire is cut away. This in itself is not an issue if this is under the seat as they run wires to the chairs and a hole is the only way to get the wires out. This is not something that is a wear space or will likely get enlarged unless you have someone on their knees pulling at it.

You have three options.

1. Complain to the dealer when you go in next and say that you don't think the work was done well enough and ask if they can better clean up the wires under the chair that might have been disturbed when they did the work last. (it's not a requirement that you have to inspect their work right after it is done.. you are assumed the right to expect it done correctly).

2. Fix it yourself. If you have some good duct tape. (i suggest the black gorilla gaffer type tape) you can cut a small piece 3"x3" and slip part of it under one side of the hole and stick pack the carpet together that will hide the wire. Likely that is what a dealer will do if you take option #1.

3. Simply ignore it. But a set of floor mats for the front and back. (i would be surprised why people don't do this if they are planning on keeping the Niro for a while). I got the Tuxmats that have a bit of a lip for the rear passenger covers and it will stop you from seeing what is going on under the chairs in front of you. You really shouldn't be looking at them anyways like they are wires running under the dash.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the lengthy and detailed reply. Here is a better photo so you can see the location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190526_113950_1558889182842.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	5015  

2018 Kia Niro EX W/Advanced Tech
2017 Kia Forte S W/Advanced Tech
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Looking at the new photo, I see your point. Those are a set of control cables that will run down the sides under the sills. Yes, it looks wrong. Still not dangerous at all in they are not red. They did a lousy job of properly tucking them back under the plastic sill cover. The carpet around the side looks to be a bit lose so it is likely that they didn't bother to properly remove the plastic cover and then pull the carpet on the floor of the Niro tight back up.

This is something that would not be acceptable by anyone's standards and YES, you can tell them that it needs to get put right. Funnily enough, the floor mats that I have would cover that as they go right up to the plastic sill plates and have small plastic tabs that you insert under the sill that keep them tight. I live in the snow belt so we get an awful lot of the slushy stuff with a good dose of salt put down by the city to keep it clear. Salt damage is a big thing so the Tuxmats with the really high sides gives you total protection of the carpets and floors inside the car. I will see about getting some photos of the mats installed so that others can see to get a better idea of how they look installed. By the end of winter, they were crusty white and looked like ****. I took a bucket of water and washed them inside the car and they look as good as new. They have gotten some more dirt on them now from spring and I guess I am not a clean person, but they do wash up really well.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
There are quite a few lines inside the car. I think that the High Voltage ones are all RED so as this one is yellow, I doubt that you need to worry from a safety point of view.
Actually, in hybrid and EV cars, the HV cables are orange, and are pretty massive. It would be tough to confuse them with a more typical 12 volt wire.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Actually, in hybrid and EV cars, the HV cables are orange, and are pretty massive. It would be tough to confuse them with a more typical 12 volt wire.
Yeah the high voltage cables sorta scream out 'you probably shouldn't mess with this cable unless you are trained'.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datarock View Post
Good morning,
Yesterday I finally vacuumed and cleaned the interior of my wife's Niro. We have a month old now so time is not as abundant lol. When I got to the back seat I noticed a yellow wire sticking out. I have a picture for you to see it. We don't have anyone that sits in the backseat and we don't have any other children etc. It took me awhile to think of it but I remember some TSB being performed including a wiring harness being replaced. SA343 and SA350. Does anyone know if these components could have been this yellow wire and the technician did a poor job at repair. It was months ago but nobody would have noticed as we don't sit in the back. 95% of the time it's just my wife and the baby hazard hours are mismatched. It's on the driver side just under the rear door above the floor.
Thanks

It specifically states in my Niro manual that ALL yellow/orange wires are HIGH VOLTAGE and caution must be exercised at ALL TIMES. Yes there is a relay recall that is under the back seat, it can short out, catch fire, damage the hybrid battery. Also I'm sure you are aware that the hybrid battery is under the back seat. Get that checked ASAP.

Last edited by eddarrah; 05-29-2019 at 01:26 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
There are quite a few lines inside the car. I think that the High Voltage ones are all RED so as this one is yellow, I doubt that you need to worry from a safety point of view. From a customer service point of view, NO it shouldn't be exposed like that. I have looked under both of my seats and I don't have any yellow wires that are sticking out. There are wires there for the heated front seats, and airbags, but they are well under the seating area and not something that you would notice if sitting in the back seat.

Your description and photo doesn't really explain how far under the seat this yellow wire is. If you pull the seat fully forward, is the wire exposed and in plane sight? From the photo, it also looks like some of the carpet around the wire is cut away. This in itself is not an issue if this is under the seat as they run wires to the chairs and a hole is the only way to get the wires out. This is not something that is a wear space or will likely get enlarged unless you have someone on their knees pulling at it.

You have three options.

1. Complain to the dealer when you go in next and say that you don't think the work was done well enough and ask if they can better clean up the wires under the chair that might have been disturbed when they did the work last. (it's not a requirement that you have to inspect their work right after it is done.. you are assumed the right to expect it done correctly).

2. Fix it yourself. If you have some good duct tape. (i suggest the black gorilla gaffer type tape) you can cut a small piece 3"x3" and slip part of it under one side of the hole and stick pack the carpet together that will hide the wire. Likely that is what a dealer will do if you take option #1.

3. Simply ignore it. But a set of floor mats for the front and back. (i would be surprised why people don't do this if they are planning on keeping the Niro for a while). I got the Tuxmats that have a bit of a lip for the rear passenger covers and it will stop you from seeing what is going on under the chairs in front of you. You really shouldn't be looking at them anyways like they are wires running under the dash.

My Niro manual says that ALL HIGH VOLTAGE WIRES ARE YELLOW/ORANGE

Last edited by eddarrah; 05-29-2019 at 01:27 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page